New Patch Brings Vulkan support to Doom

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2016.

1. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Well... basically Dx12 and Vulkan help AMD hardware in all departments:
    • GPU: They gain much more from Dx12/Vulkan than nVidia
    • CPU: There's less of a need for a very expensive Intel high performing CPU to take advantage of a good GPU. Now AMD's CPUs can do a better job at gaming than before!
    • APU: Most AMD's APUs are actually pretty CPU under-powered. Dx12/Vulkan help take the pressure out of the CPU and will make APUs shine a bit more. Either way... can't wait to see what Zen brings along.
    His case is the CPU one, a 6 year old AMD CPU that doesn't perform like modern day high-end CPUs, so yes, now the GPU can shine quite a lot better taking into consideration that the CPU is actually pulling the performance numbers back quite a bit.

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I loose a few FPS here and there on my Desktop with Titan X with Vulkan compared to OpenGL 4.5 (nothing dramatic and within error margin, but everything is more than playable under OpenGL on that system anyway), while on my considerably weaker laptop with Radeon 7970Ms I gain a healthy amount of performance with Vulkan in Doom, which is great.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. cod6da

cod6da Member

GPU:
    powercolor rx 480 8gb
    Anyone can to upload patch files, please?

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Actually AMD has been performing just fine in recent OpenGL titles like Wolfenstein

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Isn't Doom available only on Steam & consoles? Steam has the patch for you

6. cod6da

cod6da Member

GPU:
    powercolor rx 480 8gb
    Kaotik i have offline activation.:)

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Buy the game.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

I find AMD OpenGL implementation on Doom not so crap, it was only when the "nightmare" setting was enabled ( who have appears only on day 1 ) .

http://www.pcgamer.com/dooms-nightmare-graphics-image-quality-compared-and-benchmarked/

FuryX equal performance of the 980TI on 1440p and beating it at 2160p with ultra setting.. ofc fps was tanking dramatically with nightmare setting enabled.

im pretty sure that we can find some difference on a review vs one other review, but i will not calll it "crap ". ( At least on Doom )

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Titan's Realm - Load level, touch nothing, Ultra Preset

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. BrimStone101

BrimStone101 Guest

GPU:
    16 gig
    well

Ive been saying for the last 3 years and its starting to happen now.
    Rubbing people noses in and saying i told you so dont really help.

11. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    I bet most of performance increase on AMD hardware is due to eliminating or reducing API overhead AMD had with OpenGL\dx11. That's why they get better gains compared to nvidia. nvidia GPU already perform at their maximum and don't have this APi overhead "weakness"

Nvidia GPU performance compared to AMD in most games:-

DX 11 - win
    OpenGL win
    vulkan - either parity or win
    DX12 -either parity or win

So, you see, nvidia and those who got nvidia gpus have nothing to worry about.

Neither dx12\vulkan nor async compute will change the balance of power performance wise.

So, say, 980ti (and it OCs like crazy) will still beat furys in most if not all games.

Call me a pessimist (I got a fury) but I just don't believe in miracles. Especially if you consider a pretty aggressive nvidias"teh way it's meant to stutter" policy

So far dx12\vulkan\async have helped AMD to close the gap performance wise between their gpus and nvidias, but certainly not surpass nvidias sheer performance power.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Was just comparing my fps to a freaking 780ti and i was getting higher framerate than him. With this crappy 2 times rebranded 280X. It was a originally gtx680 competititor. Thats just silly. 290X is probably miles ahead beating even 980.

So much for an nvidia staying power, lol.

Also, that rx480 massive boost and Vulcan performance is just about in time before 1060 arrive. It will be a turn off for alot of buyers for the green side. :D

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What Vulkan allows is this type of performance on Linux bases systems, like the Steam OS, it is not Windows exclusive : >

14. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    How many games do support vulkan\dx12 and async? :)

I wasn't talking about older cards obviously. Only about maxwell+ generation.

If you wanna talk about 3 years old cards then sure. AMD's cards due to their architecture are a better choice.

I seriously doubt the same will happen to maxwell+ generation.

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    FYI Doom Vulkan Bench testers ....

https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/752590016988082180

Edit: Probably accounts the difference between DSOGaming review and Guru3D's Doom Vulkan review. DSOGaming settings w/o patch has AA turned off, and assume they used the same settings with Vulkan patch for comparison purposes.

16. Orthello

Orthello Guest

GPU:
    980 tri sli @ 1740/7900
    It seems no matter what game it is , dx12 or vulkan , any game that i've seen actually - NV gain nothing or negative scaling. From Pascal right back .. owning a Titan X SLI pair and seeing no gains in ROTR and Warhammer dx12 (they run worse) i have to wonder how this year is going to play out for Nividia in these new APIs - it may not be pretty. I'm not liking what i'm seeing for NV.

You can argue the performance is there from the start in dx11 or open GL with NV, but what it does is up AMDs perf / watt, perf / dollar massively and it seems to do nothing for NV. So older cards from AMD are becoming comparable to NVs greatest.

DX12/Vulkan seem to be unlocking the TFLOP numbers in their cards - finally.

17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok I just tried the patch, turned on vulkan api, under sli mode + 4k dsr, everything seems fine, soon as I load my saved game, the game gets cut off then goes back to the windows main screen.

18. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    No one here @ Guru is going to help you find updates / cracks / pirated software.

Recommend you buy the game. If you want updates / patches, support the game devs

19. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    I'd like to see AMD board partners drop their product when the 1060 reference cards launch. IMHO, AMD was smart getting the pony out of the gate first.

20. Hansel Hardcore

Hansel Hardcore Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    I keep getting crashes to desktop with vulkan, i am running win7 and 780 3gb with latest 368.69whql drivers.
    I tried it at stock 1080p with no AA as well as someone suggested it to me, and it still crashes every time i go to load a game, even starting a new games will do the same.
    I know that win7 2gb gpu users are supposed to have issues, but i shouldn't have crashes with a 780 3gb gpu?
    This sucks!

Edit- Can anyone else confirm vulkan is working for them on Win7?
    A friend of mine has same gpu and runs Win10 and just said it works ok for him, so maybe this is a Win7 issue?