690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

What thermal paste you used, also, did you use upgraded thermal pads for memory,etc?

Also, whats your temps please??

2. krugern

krugern Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 SLI
    I was playing Battlefield 4 fine on full ultra, but 3DMark failed on 2nd test. Had to go down to 1359 MHz core to get it working.

Using the thermal paste the EK full waterblock shipped with. I'm seeing 60°C on full load after a while of testing.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8788603

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Guys first let me apologize in advance for resurrecting this old thread. I have a water cool gtx 690 that i want to mod for high voltage , high PL to reach good overclock. I used to be able to mod the 2x bios of this card a very long time ago and ran the card at 1265Mhz without throttling at 1.38v no problems. Fast forward to 2021 got another gtx 690 and for the life of me i cannot stop the card from throttling clocks or black screen , crashing at anything over ~ 1150Mhz even at 1.42v.

I moded the 2x bios with kgb bios editor and set the power limit to 400w and set 1.30v to all max states on kgb. But it trottles a lot after only 1.30v :/ , i know i'm missing something on the moded bios that makes the card don't throttle but i forgot how i did it back then in 2012 ( must be old age :D ) . temperatures are fine around 40c load max on a big h2o loop.

Can someone please help me mod this 2x bios with kgb so that i dont get any throttle and i can maxed out the clocks ? I would really appreciate it any help , guidance or guide @Agent-A01 , @Veteran , @A M D BugBear or anyone else that knows how to make a good moded bios without trottling.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I had this card a while back ago, been quite some time.

I remembered, I had stock cooler on + Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut, I could not get 1200mhz, I think somewhere in the 1100's, Can't remember exactly, I think it was like around 1120mhz range, still pretty decent for these cards, top Kepler based Gpu's.

Refresh my memory on The Kepler based gpu's, while doing bios modding, couldn't you modify the voltage/power values? Like how you modify the bios for the Maxwell based gpu's?

If you can modify the power/voltage tables? Ever tried doing that?

Its been a long time since I owned this card, Actually my niece owns this card now but she has the 1080ti hybrid installed now instead of this, I can ask if I can use it but I got so much stuff now its insane.

I remember this card ran very hot, Great card for its time.

chispy likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for replying amigo. Yes i can modify the power tables and unlock voltages up to 1.30v with kbg. Sadly the guides for moding this bios are all dead links or missing pictures since this was a long time ago. I already moded like 10 times the bios x2 with kgb but i cannot get rid of the throttle and im not sure if is PL or OCP or what because temps are really low.

I will post here what i have done with the bios later tnight. Thanks bro.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Got another GTX 690??? Don't tell me your going for the ultimate dark side? Quad Sli?

If your absolutely sure you want to go down this route, ever tried reading my Thread(Sticky)???

Also, this pertains to the Maxwell Gpu Family:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/attempted-maxwell-ii-bios-editor-guide.1590562/

Perhaps this could help you some.

Also, fortunately enough, I had 3 GTX 690 videos up on one of my youtube Channels, the game is:

COD: Ghost @ 1920x1200(Max Settings), and its running with(Forced with nvidia inspector) 4XMSAA + 4XSGSSAA, just to let you know, the AA bits that I ran this game was the very infamous:

Sonic & Sega All star racing bits: 0x080012C1

Also, speaking about AA in general with COD: Ghost, don't go more then 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA as more will "NOT" yield better IQ(Image Quality), it will look exactly identical, even with well trained eyes will not pick up any difference other then major decrease in performance.

Remember, this is running with shadowplay as shadowplay will reduce performance(Depending on settings).

On these 3 videos, I lost like 6-10 fps while recording, so keep this in mind.

Video is rather old(7+ Years Old), & Sorry for no osd or any kind of performance reading, I do apologize.

GTX 690 Video #1:

GTX 690 Video #2:

GTX 690 Video #3:

If you really going down the Quad Sli route and if very much interested in the tuning dept., please feel free to leave a comment on my thread:

One thing, I have "Never" attempted any Quad Sli testing with any other video cards, except for the Maxwell or the Pascal(Titan Xp) Family.

My thread:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/extreme-4-way-sli-tuning.425674/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    chispy likes this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you @A M D BugBear , i have two gtx 690 but sadly one is already dead due to high voltage blew up mosfet :( , so only one for now. If i find a cheap one i will do quad sli for sure i will give you feedback and comments on your thread. Thanks again amigo.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Chipsy, I have a suggestion that may help.

Every try going into the NVSMI folder? Located in Program Data > Nvidia Corporation > NVSMI

Within that folder, copy and paste CMD into that folder, when launching the CMD, Make sure you right click mouse button then left click on Run as Admin before you continue.

Next, Try typing this in:

Nvidia-smi -i 0 -PL 300

The card will run at 300W TDP, you should able to see what the max is after typing it in, give that a try, works wonders on my titan Xp(Was 250W Tdp, now its 300W+), but this equates to more temps so be careful.

Try that and let me know asap on how it turns out.

chispy likes this.
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @A M D BugBear , thanks for all the help and guidance bro. I did try your cmd hack but it did nothing as i moded and baked 450w on the bios of this gtx 690 and have no more PL problems or throttling.

It took many tries to mod the bios , is just very hard to fine tune the bios on a dual gpu card as each chip likes different settings , but a manage to pull it off by trial and error until i was able to fine tune it for my specific card as each card is different.

Good news is my card runs at 1410/1872Mhz no throthling :) . I'm done with it as i already ran the benchmarks for points at hwbot and im very satisfied with the results. Now i will clean it up , put bag in antistatic bag and box and back to one of my plastic bin where i store my old VGAs for hwbot competitive overclocking until next time i needed if someone beats my scores :D

fs-14.png

Mufflore and CrazY_Milojko like this.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    450W? Good numbers there...

1410mhz(Core) on GTX 690? Absolute insane overclock, probably the fastest I have ever seen on a GTX 690, Excellent work, damn, they can go that far? Almost to good Maxwell speeds, you got one hell of a silicon lottery there.

Would love to see 2 of these bad boys with firestrike, You can take a look on my thread(Sticky), but again, my custom made bits are only been tested with the Maxwell(GTX 970) Family, so if you want to try it, try it at your own risk.

Also, ever tried removing the back plate? Might get better overall temps.

Might hop on the 690 and see how its looking, haven't been on this card in a very long time, again, excellent work on the overclocks also your cpu too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    chispy likes this.