My Overclock hit a wall?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BUFDUP, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Hey guys.

I achieved my highest stable OC on my 5930K @ 4.7Ghz 1.311v.
    4.8Ghz blue screens on me @ 1.34v

I am trying to go as high as i can. 5Ghz crashes when windows it loading.
    4.9Ghz blue screens on me when stressing. I tried up to 1.375v @ 4.9Ghz

So i guess 4.7Ghz is my stable max?

Also, i read that Haswell-e wont OC as good as Sandybridge-e.
    I got the same OC on my 3930k as i do on my 5930k which is 4.7Ghz.
    On my 5930k its on 1.311v but on my 3930k it was on 1.390v

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If 4.8GHz bluescreens @ 1.34v, why not try stabilizing that before trying for 4.9 / 5GHz?

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You cannot compare 32 vs 22nm voltages, it dosnt work that way. Sandy can go up to 1.52v (1.45v was highest i tried). Sandy/-E should be overclocking higher than Haswell/-E nevertheless.

Like Extraordinary said, try stabilize that 4.8ghz first then we'll know if you hit a wall.

4. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

4.7ghz was on auto voltage. 4.8 i thought i would need a lil bit more on manual but still didnt work. just tried 4.9+ at a higher volts but still no cigar.

5. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Also, when the voltage is set on auto... when the core clock goes down to 1200mhz for power savings, the voltage drops down too as well. On manual however it just stays where u set thew voltage at. is there anyway to lower the voltage automatically when idiling while on manual voltage????

My 3930k was on manual voltage @ 1.39v but when it was idling, the volts would drop when core clock drops. i know this is a power saving thing.

6. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i tried 4.8Ghz @ 1.36v. Didn't crash. Temps were abit high. Mid 80's. i think 4.9Ghz will require over 1.4v. Probably be too hot for the CPU.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If 4.8 didn't stabilize, don't try for an even higher clock speed and cross your fingers

You need to set the CPU to 4.8 and get that 100% solid before even considering anything higher

And auto voltage is not likely to work, OCing = manual everything and lots of testing

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If temps are little high for your comfort back off to 4.7ghz. There is no need to push it so much. Chip you have is not that bad, as you can see there is no really a voltage wall.

1.4v would most likely get you a 4.9ghz while 5Ghz would be like 1.44v? No way you can cool that thing tho.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  9. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

Yeah they get pretty hot. I remember my 3930k even @ 4.8ghz was hovering just over 70c only.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ah, Sandy. Got to love it. It always stays cool and overclocks higher. :)

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    There is a way to use manual voltage and have idle voltage drop to keep temps and stress down. I had to set all C-states manually in UEFI after setting manual voltage. Programs like CPUZ and Coretemp will still read "1.34v" or whatever you set it to manually, but if you use HWmonitor and look at the VIN4 it should show your actual CPU voltage.

Right now CPUZ shows me 1.265v at 800MHz on all cores, yet HWmonitors VIN4 reads 0.760v at 800MHz. My idle temps reflect the fact that downclocking AND downvolting is indeed happening. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  12. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

I Still got it. don't know what i am going to do with it. Do they sell ok?

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    X79 and six core 3930k would probably sell ok. Still kinda pricy. Try ebay or some local buying-selling site. Dont let it sit there gathering dust. :p

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Mate, I'd say stick to 4.8 and call it a day, seems not to work past. But it's a great OC still! :)

15. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    These are my overclocking settings for 4.8ghz and ram at 3200mhz, this was stable for over 6-7months(tons of transcoding and benchmark testing) but lately I have had to bring things down a little to prolong my CPU lifespan!

overclock settings

but might help you tweak your overclock some and get higher overclock, or even allow you to bring the voltages down a little and still stabilize 4.8ghz, ofc every CPU is different, I needed 1.415v to get the CPU stable 100% in everything I tested. Never had to much problems with temps but I do have tons of water cooling going on.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

16. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

@ fantaskarsef: i'm thinking about it lol.... only issue with me that its going to stay on 1.36v all the time. i would like for the voltage to drop when the core clock drops into power saving mode.... but it doesn't do that on manual voltage. So i'll stick to Auto 4.7Ghz @ 1.31v

Funny enough on my 3930K even on manual voltage it would lower voltage when clocks go down.

@ holystarlight: i'll give it a look. thanks bud.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Dude, did you read what I posted a couple posts up? I recently did a bunch of research and testing and found out how to get manually set voltage and the normal drops on idle. Feel free to ask if you need more detail.

18. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

when u set manual voltage, all the power saving features are disabled by default?

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Would be curious too, now that my new RAM aren't as dodgy as before, they might even work with switches in multis, so I could activate power saving features again (and see if I really feel that delay in reaction when the CPU 'upclocks' again or if I'm only imagining it).

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    In my case, with a 4770k and ASUS Z97-A, when I change the CPU voltage type to "manual" from "auto" all of the C-states that are set to "auto" get disabled. I went through and manually changed every C-state option in the UEFI from "auto" to "enabled" and I have perfect down clocking (voltage and clocks) but I get my manual CPU voltage when under load.

The best way I could test this, because programs like CPUZ and Coretemp will think you are running full voltage at all times, is to compare idle temps across the different settings. For example...

Auto CPU voltage + Auto C-states = ~32C idle and ~85C load
    Manual CPU voltage + Auto C-states = ~42C idle and ~76C load
    Manual CPU voltage + Enabled C-states = ~30C idle and ~76C load

Voltage readings from the VIN4, not vcore or VID, confirmed my temperature findings. Feel free to ask more questions and report back with your findings.

EDIT 2: One last thing. To clarify, when using HWmonitor the vcore and VID readings are wrong but the VIN4 is correct for me. When using HWinfo64 the VID is incorrect and the vcore is correct for me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016