PSU or CPU issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by raif, Jun 29, 2016.

1. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Hey all,

I seem to have run into some issues with my pc. One day it just stopped working so i got to work trying to diagnose the issue.

What i had is this the pc would just not turn on at all, not even the psu fan. I did the paperclip test and the psu worked so i checked the power button which also worked.

Once i started plugging everything back into the psu I found that the only thing that I plugged in that caused it was the cpu power cord.

Now does this mean that my cpu is done for? Or could it be something else? If I don't plug the cpu cord in and try to turn it on everything turns on, then off then back on and stays on.

Any help would be awesome as I need to know what to buy to fix this. Also, I don't have another psu or cpu to test unfortunately

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Make sure to reset CMOS. Disconnect all PSU cables from mobo and remove batery.

3. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Yep, I did that too. It was the chek i did before testing the power button. Forgot to mention it.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    In my experience, CPU failures are really rare. Unless you heard your CPU popping (from OC or unstable voltage), its probably PSU.
    And I am not sure if CPU power cord would directly relate to CPU failure.

Also, don't exclude motherboard. It also can fail with damaged circut or something else.
    My guess would be 70% PSU, 25% MoBo and 5% CPU.

Take your motherboard out of PC case, remove CPU, inspect CPU and MoBo for damage or burn, on MoBo especially around CPU power plug.

Remove dust from MoBo and PSU. Plug in minimum setup for boot [Mobo + CPU + 1 stick RAM + PSU], no other hardware. Connect monitor to MoBo graphics port.

5. I agree, some good points to follow.

-----------------------------------------

In addition to what sverek wrote, test the motherboard on static-free surface using the minimum setup outside of the PC case. There could be a point in the PC case where the CPU power VRM is located that is shorting out the motherboard on the case. For example, a ball of dust making contact with the motherboard and PC case.

6. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    So i cleaned out the case again, didnt remove the mobo or the heatsink but i popped the back of the PC off and cleaned it out. It turned on with the setup you mentioned after i cleaned the back of the PC.

Because my pc doesnt have a graphics output I connected my gpu and plugged it into a monitor. All I saw was a black screen.

It that supposed to happen?

Edit - Also there are no burn marks on the mobo or any of the parts on it.

7. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Ok so disregard what I wrote above, except for the part about not having a graphics output on my mobo. I forgot to plug in the cpu cord. So after plugging in the CPU cord it would not turn on with the basic setup at all. I took apart the mobo and nhd14 and there was no burn marks on anything. The PC refuses to turn on with the CPU cord plugged into the psu, but will turn on with everything else plugged in.

All the parts around the CPU look fine, no bent or burst capacitors but there was a random piwce of plastic next to the capacitors on the CPU. Could that have been the cause? It was a piece of rubber from the case that got lodged in between the heatsink on the mobo and the line of capacitors for the cpu.

I cant retest the system until I get my hands on some thermal paste (forgot i ran out).

So would that narrow it down to PSU or mobo now?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    can you 100% confirm not having had a RX 480 come close to that machine the last days?

nah sorry i am just coming to terms with sth... now seriously:

- are the cpu pins ok? no bent ones etc..

- what does the mainboard leds do in cold standby when you have cpu cord plugged in? are they lit?

- the plastic piece may have moved a jumper-switch (i know low probability, but you could check if they are set correctly)

- when you pressed the power button to turn the system on does/did the cpu fan move just a little maybe?

- did you de-lid your cpu? if not. no need for thermal paste for a 1-2 minute boot POST. the IHS will spread the heat out enough for that time period.
    on the other hand you could like wait some days to also rule out any capacitor discharge problems.

9. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    1. CPU pins are not bent, system has been running 4 years no problem till now.
    2. I only have 1 mainboard led and its steadily lit.
    3. Nope, didn't move a MM
    4. If by de-lid you mean remove it from the socket, then yes i did de-lid it
    5. The rubber piece was nowhere near any switches. It was in between the heatsink and the capacitors next to the CPU so it was all empty space

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

this would be a 3 dollar solution to check if it has to do with the cable or the CPU phase of the PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=0G5M6E4H50AD2ETGDKEP

i dont know how far you are willing to go at the moment before not having checked the other stuff first... so just a suggestion

and what i meant with de-lid is actually the removal of the integrated heatspreader...

[​IMG]
    ---->
    [​IMG]

because if you didnt do that (what i assume automatically from your counter question :) )
    then you wouldnt have to worry at all to test the boot up for 1-2 minutes without applying thermal paste (should screw on the fan and sink tho)

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think its PSU. If mobo would be damage, it should not start up at all, same goes for CPU.

Still, I would strongly recommend to check before buying one. Call your local hardware shop, ask them if they can lend you PSU or test rig at their place.

PSUs do fail, I was troubleshooting my bros PC, replaced all parts, turned out it was PSU that caused black screen.

12. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I'd double check the PSU and motherboard. Dead CPU's are extremely rare, I only killed 3 in 10-12 years :p One on LN2, one on dice and one because the cooler was taken off :p Don't know the age of the PSU but seeing that it is a quality one makes the chance of it dying a bit lower. Motherboard would be my focus because it could be around 5 years old (if you upgraded when Sandy was released). Especially with that OC it could shorten the life of the mobo, depending on the Vcore that is though. Testing with a different PSU wouldn't hurt either;)

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    dead cpu? thats a myth, mobo is acting up, or psu cant handle the load anymore, yea my vote is to get a psu, if its old you neeed a new one anyway so just go buy that already

14. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Ok so if i was to get a new PSU, what would be the recommendation? I cant get another seasonic x850 as they dont seem to sell it anymore around here.

I have found the corsair hx850i and the 750 as well as the seasonic snow silent 750 and the seasonic x-1050 gold

Edit - so after re-attaching the heatsink and trying to turn it on, the pc still wont turn on. Seems like if anything is attached to the CPU rail of the PSU it wont turn on or something is faulty with the CPU phase of the mobo even though the mobo looks clean and everything else turns on fine.

I dont have the opion to borrow or test a PSU in my PC at any hardware store so i guess ill have to buy one and hope its the solution as getting a new mobo gor a 2500k is impossible here and id have to buy a new CPU and mobo for the chipset. Thats gonna be 3 times more than the PSU.

So of the above, which do you suggest?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If mobo powers on without CPU power, aka EPS12v the issue is most likely the motherboard.

Very unlikely that it's the power supply. I have seen several cases where bad mobos powered on without that EPS12v connector in but would not power on with it in.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Corsair CX500 should be enough for your rig. It's not expensive, so in case its Mobo fault, you won't lose much and have spare PSU in future.

If it MoBo fault, I can suggest to look for used MoBo or cheaper one (P67), so you can use your current CPU and RAM for it.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That's cutting it close^...no headroom.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nothing is immune to DOA. Freaks of nature as i like to call them do happen and not all of them are caught in house. While dead processors aren't as common as dead ram, motherboard, psu or gpu, it does and has happened.

700w would be my recommendation. 650w at a bare minimum.

19. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Unfortunately in my country getting my hands on a p67 mobo is going to be nearly impossible so id have to upgrade to the i7 6700k and get a new mobo.

As for psu, id like to stick to the 750-850 rqnge in case i add something like another card. The PSU's i listed above are all the same price give or take a few dollars and are pretty much my choice in good PSU's here.

I found a place thats willing to let me test my CPU, PSU, and mobo so ill update after i get that done.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  20. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Alright, so after testing my cou, mobo, and psu it turns out that my mobo is dead. So its time to get a new one.

Ill be picking up an i7 6700k and am asus maximus viii hero it looks like. Any recommendations?