GeForce GTX 1060 Launch Imminent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 1, 2016.

1. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    NV cards have perfect frame time latency. Worse was with the Motion to Photon latency (latency from the head movement). AMD cards had great results in MtP latency through Assynchronus Shadders (10ms). Has anything changed in NV cards, which had MtP lattency about 50 ms? I remember that during the presentation of 1080 GTX, Huang very carefully moved operating HMD. It was so unnatural, that raises concerns.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The clock does matter. If this is 1.7GHz, it will not overclock that well. I can't see the 2GHz "no problem" Pascal anywhere. If this is the norm, please tell me, I honestly don't believe so. NVIDIA cards seem to be much more aggressively clocked these days. Also comparing a hypothetically overclocked card to a reference one, is a bit stupid. Let's wait and see at which prices both the AIBs will sit, and what kind of performance can be expected from both of them. The 1060 has less compute, 25% less raw memory bandwidth, and less memory on top. It has the advantage on raw pixel performance, and we'll see how much that will matter. I expect it to originally bench better than the reference 480 for sure. I also expect it to be worse under DX12, and any gap to be zero in a couple of AMD driver revisions.

Where is the inherit 2x advantage? As far as I understand the situation is quite more complicated, with parts of the pipeline being much faster on NVIDIA, and others much faster on AMD, see the post below.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    QFT

With the commercial hype of 1080 and 1070, pretty sure the 1060 gonna be a tough contender against RX480.

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    And one more thing. VR-SLI is still not working, but AMD Affinity Multi GPU is already working.

"First, the GeForce GTX 980 Ti is the highest performing single GPU tested, with a score of 11 - because of course it goes to 11. The same score is reported on the multi-GPU configuration with two Radeon R9 Nanos so clearly we are seeing a ceiling of this version of the SteamVR Performance Test. With a single GPU score of 9.2, that is only a 19% scaling rate, but I think we are limited by the test in this case. Either way, it's great news to see that AMD has affinity multi-GPU up and running, utilizing one GPU for each eye's rendering. (AMD pointed out that users that want to test the multi-GPU implementation will need to add the -multigpu launch option.) I still need to confirm if GeForce cards scale accordingly. UPDATE: Ken at the office ran a quick check with a pair of GeForce GTX 970 cards with the same -multigpu option and saw no scaling improvements. It appears NVIDIA has work to do here."
    http://www.pcper.com/category/tags/performance-test

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Here is a photoshop based on the other one by someone trying to correct the graph:

[​IMG]
    Looks far better :D.

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Waiting for AIB version, with decent PCB in a smaller size factor.

7. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    Better to be greedy and actually make a profit than be stupid and keep selling things too cheap so that you do nothing but lose money year after year after year like AMD. A company cannot survive forever by losing money.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Asynchronous Warp grabs the previous frame and warps it to the location of the new frame, in the middle of the render using pre-emption. Maxwell's pre-emption performance was an issue at multiple levels. Oculus worked with both Nvidia/AMD and Microsoft to change things at the OS Kernel level, GPU Command level and Kernel Driver level in order to support ATW. Currently it does work on Maxwell but it's not ideal -- Pascal significantly lowered latency penalty of pre-emption as it can now pre-empt at the thread/pixel level.

Regardless I have an Oculus and a Maxwell card -- I play VR games with ATW enabled. There is no issue even on Maxwell, the latency is higher but not enough to cause problems. The issue is that the developer had to work around Maxwell, they don't anymore with Pascal. So no, Huang moving the HMD around strangely is him just being weird, not some attempt to not show stuttering. My 980 is flawless even whipping my head around.

9. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Now I can't make up my mind. Do I go for the RX 480 (PowerColor Devil it will be), or do I get one of these? I really like Nvidia, but looking at how AMD is struggling to keep their heads above water, I do think I must rather pick up one of their cards. I'm sure I won't regret going for one of their cards. Especially not a PC Devil.

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yeah thats wat it seems like, which is why im underwhelmed. the 480 is trading blows with the 980 in a lot of scenarios, & you know the 1060 will be priced higher...

god forbid nvidia prices stop creeping ever upward for no reason & settle down to the semblance of a fair level. its gotten to the point where enthusiasts staying on the cutting edge are paying an nvidia tax on top of the early adopter tax. just because people are willing to pay it doesnt make it reasonable.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Interesting gpu , let the Middle range video cards price wars begin :D , everyone benefits from this if true.

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    So true. Although, it is something AMD probably doesn't need.

13. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    It's all good to root for the underdog. But if this lives up to what it's supposed to be it would be silly to get a 480 which uses more power, especially motherboard power, and won't perform as well.

14. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    It's not an "NVidia tax". AMD keeps selling stuff too cheap and they lose money year after year. They need to make a quality product that people want to buy and then sell it at a price that they make a profit on. Just being cheap doesn't make them a hero when they are trying to drive themselves out of business. These kinds of products take extreme amounts of money to design and then produce, if you don't make all of that money back, plus some extra you cannot continue innovating. In fact, you cannot continue at all.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Do you recon the 480 will drop in price ?

16. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    it clearly is. theyve become complacent & indolent the past number of years from lack of competition in the high end market, just like intel. in fact its almost as bad as apples markup, saved only for the fact that nvidia delivers actual improved functionality & performance.

17. Finisterre

Finisterre Guest

GPU:
    NV
    Not bad for an indolent & complacent company to realize a 28nm node with lower power draw and higher clock speeds than amd could accomplish with 14nm.:funny:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  18. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    its "a"

but regarding your oddly phrased point, i dont think that refutes that team green has clearly been on autopilot for years now. mind you, im not talking about their r&d...

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Technically 1060 has probably been ready for a while and nvidia just waited for AMD to show its hand to adjust its marketing and card positionning accordingly.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The 480 not yet i think ( that would been awsome if that happens :D , imagine RX480 for $179US dollars ) , but might be a possibility in the future , more likely the 960 , 970 , 980 - 380 , 380X , 390 , 390X will drop further in price when this 1060 gets release :) , it's a win win situation anyhow on my book , price wars are always a good thing for us customers who benefit the most

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016