DooM 4 Thread (Pt.2)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's id. They take their time with everything.
    Really, this is what I expected... and I don't think we'll see the Vulkan update until closer to the end of the year.

Even though they said that we'll see it "soon"... soon for id is months and months and months of time.

2. Jamie T

Jamie T Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    Vulkan is meant for phones, if you wanna play high end, get a high end rig :p

Anyways I'm trying Photo Mode and everything is blurry I can't get it to show everything or even more...

I changed all the settings on Depth of View it just doesn't do anything

It's under Settings > game

Scroll to the bottom

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I question the usefulness of Vulkan in a game like Doom, as the game uses very little CPU to begin with. The CPU usage is so small in fact, that I had issues with my CPU down clocking to desktop speeds..

The move to Vulkan would only be worth it if they use it to add more detail and effects to the game.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well you could crankup resolution higher - dsr more, with faster fps.. whats not to like there :)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks guys, really tempted to give it a spin, I hope it gets to 60 or I'll have to OC my cards a bit ;)

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I still get a really weird bug from time to time even after this update triggered by resuming a save game, this case level 12, then exiting to the main menu and choosing Mission Select and finally loading an early level, such as first The UAC one. When I do the game's framerate tanks to 15-20 fps with around 10-12% GPU usage and even exiting to the main menu and reloading it does not fix it. I have to exit the game then if I go straight to The UAC level then it runs fine. Throughout my GPU clock and memory are shown as running at full 3D speeds, albeit because of the low GPU usage the core clock stays at the default 1,100 MHz (I have a factory overclocked GTX 980 Ti).

Really odd. I've seen this occur three or four times now across several different graphics drivers and builds of the game.

Anyone else had this?

P.S. Playing on maxed out Ultra/Nightmare settings at 2560x1440 by the way but the game nevers dips below 60 fps, at least I have never noticed it if it has.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope we've seen the last of ctd's?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah you don't necessarily have to, the game is fairly intelligent about that and when you load a already finished level via the level select screen and then quit to menu again and click on resume it'll resume from your main games latest checkpoint and not from wherever it left off during the level you replayed. :)
    (Makes it a bit easier to go for missed secrets and such and then just jump back in to wherever you currently are in the storyline without having to replay the entire level from start.)

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nope, didn't help, getting constant CTDs in Kadingir Sanctum now :bang:

what the hell is going on, first no crashes, then occassional and now frequent.
    Tried increasing CPU voltage / reverting to stock clocks / disabling Steam Cloud / loosening memory timings / setting manual pagefile / ...
    no use!

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well if you crank up the resolution, you're going to be GPU limited, so using Vulkan wouldn't help there either.

I can only see Vulkan helping out those people that play at extreme FPS, ie 120 and above.

If they add more detail in the form of objects, then that would also increase CPU dependency. But the game is already so detailed as it is, it would be hard to justify adding more since it would probably just make the game look cluttered.

12. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    None of my previous saves are shown, I have to start a new game.

13. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Kind of a weird thing but after the patch update, after launching DOOM I get never ending hard disk activity at the splash screen. It's like the game is continually trying to load something over and over again. Anyone else notice this or is it just me.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Wow quite huge patch 3.8gb here, though it was ~ 2gb like Jonas said.

Reinstalled the driver too?

Why not?

I mean take a look at nv fishtank benchmark

1080p for example, Vulcan 170fps or so, vulcan off 40-50fps..

Im talking out of my head now, but last time I benchmarked the gap was there and a huge gap.

I mean a gpu will not act the same way as openGL when gpu bound, now it can render different and at more fps... Less driver overhead crippling and maxing out gpu usage.

Or that chopper demo, it uses only 1 thread but fps is fast.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    2.5 here, there's no other DLC either so I am unsure why some people are reporting a almost 4 GB download but yeah I've seen a few posts on the Steam forums about that too.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Actually no, but just as suddenly as the CTDs started, they stopped for now.
    Played around 3 hrs today, no crashes.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    New patch;

1. Seems to load quicker now.
    2. Loading into MP also quicker.
    3. Performance seems improved.
    4. Single-player saves still there and working.

Bug;

1. Intro video for id worked fine first time, but, now the audio is cut-short just like before.

Also, I haven't experienced a ctd with the new patch yet, but, will report back if I do.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    yeah the loading is like 3 seconds now and runs better

ultra settings 1440P + TSSAA = 100 to 144fps

still no SLi though

19. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    did they at least fix that "shadow" setting performance bug?

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looks like i'll have to update my drivers for this (on the 16.3s at the moment) :p

[​IMG]

Got a few other games to get through as yet, so i'll just update when i get around it.