GeForce GTX 1060 Launch Imminent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Should be a nice little card, hopefully it'll perform like/better than the 980 like the rx480 was hyped up to be.

2. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Like the GTX 960 vs r9 285 (GTX 960 came out way after), the 1060 will probably be 2-3 FPS from the 480, but have better thermals.

Nvidia's just coasting.

3. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    True. VRAM requirements in particular have skyrocketed, and some games perform badly for no apparent reason; Quantum Turd

The real problem for AMD with regards to RX480 is OEM. OEM will not accept non-compliance with PCI-E because it will affect warranty conditions etc and they use cheap boards.

All 1060 needs to do is match it's performance and actually run at 120w, I don't think nvidia feel pressured to lower prices though, they will probably charge more than rx480 8gb for the 6gb 1060

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I laughed at this graph. At first I thought.. whoah! And then you see the tiny increments below. Still if 10-15% better and priced in 480 territory, should be a win. But knowing Nvidia, will probably be $299 for 6gb and 249 for 3gb.

[​IMG]

5. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    $300 is too close to 1070 imo, more like around 220 for 3gb, 270 for 6gb

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But their lower end cards were always killed by it. This one has even less hardware than I thought it would. If it follows the NVIDIA pattern, it will also have lower frequencies than the 1070. Meh. Less vram, smaller bus, 1000 less shaders (even if NVIDIA shaders do "more"), the 480 will probably kill it in DX12 games and they should be on par on DX11. I was expecting more. The power budget looks amazing, but I truly don't care. It should be an amazing HTPC card if it's priced reasonably (which it won't, see 960).

Typical GPU company graph. Nothing to see except the claimed power efficiency which is probably true.

A high end AIB will be flirting with $300. The card itself can't really cost more than $80 to make. I'm surprised by the general (from everybody) ****tiness in quality with this generation. I hope the AIBs step in a little.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is no way that Nvidia graph is real, it looks terrible. That's not to say that information is inaccurate though.

I expect the 1060 to be better performing in DX11 and probably tie in DX12. Nvidia will of course leverage their VR tech to say it's a better VR card, despite no games using it yet.

8. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    Meh, the clock doesn't matter. We know how it clocks based on 1070/1080, 2GHz no problem very likely so that's actually around 5100gflops.

Sure it in compute bound games like AotS the RX480 should in tehory take the lead, but considering how it performs relative to the 390X, I believe it will not. 390x = RX480 btw in terms of compute more or less, 390X is like 15% faster.

AMD screwed the pooch in terms of marketing, calling this a VR card when your competitor has an inherent 2x advantage in VR is a terrible idea. Same with regards to efficiency.

NV will be very aggressive in terms of marketing I believe, it's just an easy marketing win for them.

Again, RX480 = very good value, but then again you expect this from new generation

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Meh, nvidia could just go with an 8pin rather than 6pin and be done with it. I can't believe AMD fitted the 480 with a single 6pin connector. WHY??? How does that make sense? It's not like fitting an 8pin would be more expensive!?

Why not?

10. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    I believe using an 8-pin carries additional board and VRM requirements that would have increased cost, additionally it would have not looked good for a midrange "efficient" card.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It would still be better than having a 6pin card that draws too much from the PCI-E slot.

12. Archimonde

Archimonde Guest

GPU:
    From this seal shall
    lol, I agree

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because it looks like it's upscaled from a resolution for ants, the bars are like fuzzy. The box in the top right corner is also pretty uncharacteristic of Nvidia graphs. The names are usually to the side of their graphs. Plus Nvidia's comparison graphs are almost always vertical.

By itself most of that stuff could be written off but when you put it all together that slide looks fake to me. Again, that's not to say that information isn't accurate -- but it looks like someones photoshop job.

14. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    Looking at specs looks like gtx 1060 comparing with gtx 1080 have: 50% of shading power , 50% of tesselesation and geometry , 75% of ROPs , 60% memory bandwidth .
    We can assume will perform at about 55% level of an gtx 1080 and we still don't have the clock speed . Anyway performance will vary depending on game and resolution.

If the specs are correct , then this card will sit between gtx 970 and gtx 980 , exactly where RX 480 sits right now( even if in fact RX 480 we can say is on par with GTX 970)

Knowing how nvdia are realesing new products , gtx 1060 will be much closer to gtx 980 and cost much than RX 480

15. Finisterre

Finisterre Guest

GPU:
    NV
    Looks like a good card to fill in before 1080ti or maybe Volta become available.
    I can keep it to perform compute tasks next to the ti or Volta.
    Asynchronous compute 'problem' solved.

16. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I dunno looks like it sits right between the 970 & 980 if the clockspeeds about match the 1070.

Had a spreadsheet setup and tossed in the specs, looks pretty good if they match the RX 480 price point.

[​IMG]

17. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I don't get why people bash the rx 480 4g or 1060 3gb.They are more than enough for 1080p Dota2, LoL, CSGO, WoW, Hearthstone, Overwatch and that resolution holds over 50% market share, same goes for those games combined.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Consider the places where you read these bashings. The reality is that people who buy the mainstream (or entry level) models aren't over here reading hardware forums. Wisest of them might happen upon a review by googling, but that's it. They most likely won't post any comments unless they have a problem and think gurus might help them if they are brave enough to ask. Here, and in other similar places, the regulars want better if they can at all afford it.

Nobody buys an auto magazine expecting them to bash all the Porsches and the like in there, praising only the most boring family Fords.

19. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Under statement really the the difference from the 1080 to 1070 is 25%, the difference from the 1070 to the 1060 is 33%. So on the plus side against the 1080 just half everything and thats what you can expect... so between 970 and 980 really. Or RX480 performance. Unless DX12 is involved then the RX480 will smoke the 1060!

I agree with the people that 3GB is too limiting we see alot of games use well over that already.

20. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Hi all!
    With this specs Nvidia shot their foots! Will be more expensive and slower than RX 480 with 8GB 256-bit.
    The move that AMD wants. Good job Nvidia!
    LOL!