Review: ASUS Republic Of Gamers GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I don't really like these AIB coolers dumping all the generated GPU heat back into the PC case.

Wouldn't something like the original NVidia cooler design be better which sucks air through it and out the back of the case?

2. nehaxak

nehaxak Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070 gtx
    Hearing a bit of coil whine during the review = poor quality components used and a bad Q&A testing process on ASUS' part.

That alone, regardless of the ridiculous prices, makes this card a big no, especially with the poor RMA processes consumers are put through (outside of buying from Amazon who it seems are the only online sellers who bother to care for consumers these days when it comes to faulty graphics cards further down the warranty period).

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hmm... Not bad at all. 67c and fan didn't even reach 1800 RPM. Of course this is rather ideal solution since open bench but still.

Thanks for including the RPM readings!

4. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    as always great review Hilbert :).
    and love the card if i was going for the GTX 1080 this would be the one, with an ROG mobo monitor and and aura it would look nice :nerd:.
    one more thing, at computex they showed 2 fan connectors at the front of the card, are those still on and really should one consider hooking a fan to them?
    other than that.. love the card love the rivew head of the pack card almost in every chart:nerd:

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually it's the rear of the card and yes they are there, not sure if anyone would actually use them ? Anyway, I added a photo and description into the article.

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Actually the 2 HDMI 2.0 ports is exactly the reason I want this card.
    I have no use for DP, using HDR TV as my monitor, so 2 HDMI 2.0 ports are great, one port in PC mode (higher input lag but great for text and watching movies) and one in Game mode.

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If you mean Afterburner then yes, you should be able to use that with nearly any video card. I've used it with over a dozen different brands over the years. It's a great piece of software for sure. :)

This Strix looks like the best of the aftermarket coolers thus far. I'm happy with my Gigabyte G1 being a few C hotter (for a savings of $70), but kudos to Asus for their excellent cooling.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    when are MSI 1070 armor/gaming review coming, that are what I interested in

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When I did check Pricing of GTX 1070. And I had to laugh at Palit. They have 4 editions.
    All same price. All same PCB. All same cooler, difference only in shape of plastic cover on cooler and print on that.

MSI Gaming X and Zotac AMP may be interesting.
    But ASUS STRIX looks too expensive in comparison to above.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont get manufacturers obsessions with 4+ version of the cards. they just need to make Non OC and OC version. I Guess more versions they make more chances they sell?? so make back the money the sent on RnD for that extra cards? just put the RnD in to 2 cards non oc and oc.

11. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Coil whine and only 2 DP ports.. No thanks.

If all the cards perform the same thanks to the new limitations/GPU boost, then I'll get the card that has the best silence/cooling and best I/O and reliability. If the Strix has coil whine, then it damn well can't be all high quality components.

I'll be going 3 DP monitors and probably a VR kit in future. 3/1 with an auxiliary DVI is the best setup in my eyes.

Now if only I didn't have to decide on getting this, or saving some money and getting a 1070 then waiting for the 1080 Ti. Either one is a big upgrade over my 2x 780's, but uggh, money limitations and not wanting to be SCREWED again are holding me back from choosing.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That's what I meant, because it also happened that all my latest GPUs were MSI, so I wasn't sure. :p

13. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    Agreed!! I have been looking at the Asus GTX 1080 Strix and the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming for 3 weeks now on Newegg and I missed the short time they were available in stock.

But I do not regret waiting because in the meantime the reviews started to come out for both cards and the Asus seems to have quality control flaws and I quote from Newegg. and luckily 2 hours ago I was able to buy the Gigabyte 1080 G1 within the 10min window it was available before it sold out again probably who knows for how long (ive been refreshing the newegg page for 2 weeks every 30-15min and did not catch it till finally today):

1. I developed coil whine after a few days of use. Not noticeable over the sounds of games but quite annoying when just surfing around on the internet.
    2. my card is getting so hot is due to a major manufacturing QC issue. The card is missing the memory thermal pads underneath the heat sink (not making any contact).
    3. HOT HOT HOT, as soon as I boot up a game BAM 85 degrees
    4. Games freeze within the 1st minute of play and I get a system message saying video card driver has crashed
    5. I believe I got a defect card, as soon as I turned on any benchmarks/games the card would skyrocket to 90+ degrees Celsius

Anyways avoid the Asus like the plague until a new batch comes out hopefully fixing all those issues. On top of it the overclock doesnt really give a boost at 4K, I mean 1-3fps over he Gigabyte and MSI is nothing. I'm happy with my cheaper Gigabyte G1 cant wait to run it :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  14. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well i phoned them up again and they said July, f**k that cancelled it and looked at alternatives said hmm what about the MSI 1070 G8 says eta today, he says urm they been and gone thats next month, thats needs to be updated. LMFAO got the same card on ebuyer for less and they are currently instock but they are dropping damn quick. Should get mine tomorrow shame no 1080 but oh well still save over £210

15. toronto699

toronto699 Guest

GPU:
    asus GTX660

16. GVoniatis

GVoniatis Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Thank you for the review but there is a small mistake in yours and almost all other reviews of this card.
    Have been trying to figure out what card to get for a new setup. Budget is not an issue as it is for work as well as play.
    Issue with this card is the HDMI ports are NOT 2.0b but 2.0 therefor there is no support for HDR over HDMI.
    I have confirmed this with with ASUS over there support. Once by email and another time by phone.
    I'm looking for something that will provide all the features of the standard card, not remove some of the newest technologies.
    I am debating going with the Titan X (Pascal) directly from Nvidia after your review of it, but it seems to have some throttling issues when pushed to its limits and i really don't want to use a custom water cooling system in a work computer.
    I really would like a review of the EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid as i think that would be a good all round card to go with.
    Any advice on which graphics card will be very much appreciated.

The rest of the spec for the workstation is as follows:

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D - Airflow Edition
    Asus X99 Deluxe II (really want the Rampage V Edition 10 but it seems not to have support for the Thunderboltex 3 card and i really need thunderbolt.)
    EVGA SuperNOVA P2 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply, Modular - 1600 Watt
    Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme 3,5 GHz (Will be Overclocked to 4Ghz on all cores)
    Corsair - Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 16gb) 64gb DDR4 3000MHz CL15
    2 x Corsair Dominator Airflow Platinum Fan
    Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB Solid State Drive (once its released this month)
    BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic RGB LED Strip - 60cm x 3
    Corsair ML140 Pro Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan 140mm

And ill be adding a Acer Predator X34P once its released.