Any Diabetics in da House?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Li4m79, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Was diagnosed Type 2 a few months back, and have a few Type 1 friends.... Just wondered if there were any Gurus with Diabetes, and what they are doing (where plausible) to control it..

After doing a lot of reading, i'm currently going down the LCHF route with promising (early on) results...

Gonna leave the intro short, but interested to see what people are doing

2. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Got close, stopped drinking and exercised, now I'm good

3. DrDoU

DrDoU Guest

GPU:
    power color rx6800
    major change in diet + exercise made me good,Doctor still has me on medicine.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup Type 1 since I was 9 months old, so that's 37 years now. Tightened up my control to a huge degree over a year ago after being quite lax about it (not raging out of control but certainly not as strict as I should have been), saw a dramatic fall in my next HB-A1c result, improved my diet by measures tried to cut out general crap, snacks replaced with fruit and nuts rather than biscuits and crisps even started doing some general exercise and believe me I am a f*cking lazy bastard when I am not at work. So additional benefit of losing some weight as well as the improved blood results.

4 times daily injection of Humalog (3 times a day) and Lantis Solostar (at night)

No idea what LHCF is but the impression I got was Type 2 is a pain in the arse to control. For the most part Type 1 with the insulins I use have pretty predictable results over very predictable time tables. If I am running a high blood sugar I can inject (for example a blood sugar of 16 injected with 12 units of insulin I know within 2 hours my blood sugar will be 4 - 6, with small tweaks for workload or food intake.)

Only thing that throws me off is glycogen effected blood sugars (stored energy released by the Liver when you're hungry) I suffered from it quite heavily when I first started tightening my control up, couldn't work out why having had nothing to eat and no insulin my blood sugar could go from 4 to 18 in the space of a few hours.

Turns out missing breakfast (I never eat breakfast) was causing a Glycogen release, an injection an hour after I started work of a few units was enough to counter this, thing is I dropped this after a few months because I started suffering hypos, ran for a few months without it and now I am back needing to do it again... so yeah weird one.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Not a diabetic but I live on a ketogenic diet by choice. I keep my carb intake under 20 grams a day, usually closer to 0.

It used to be incredibly difficult in Canada because it's illegal here to advertise "carb" anything on any product so they can't advertise 0 or low carb items for diabetics unlike other countries where you can get carb free anything including ice cream. The only place they can mention it is in the nutrition info. But in the last year I've seen more and more products in grocery stores with low or zero carbs despite them not being able to advertise it.

That and finally instead of aspartame (which I'm convinced can cause cancer despite what some dubious studies may claim), which tastes like burning **** with a bitter aftertaste, companies have started using sucralose + acesulfame potassium. Finally I can have zero carb/calorie sodas which taste like real sodas and not have to fear carcinogens either.
    Low carb high fat. A ketogenic diet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think there is not enough research regarding acesulfame in regards of carcinogens. Aspartame has some but not enough. Sucralose has the same issue we don't know enough :D

But well such is life.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Not diabetic but should probably watch out for it. I'm horribly allergic to anything "diet", sweeteners are the devil, cause migraines and lightheadedness in me, as you'd expect for something unnatural...

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uh why?

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Ditto and I'm Canadian never heard that.Edit:I probably didn't hear about this because at 62 I don't plan on changing my diet that I have never watched ever but Health Canada figured in their wisdom that we were too stupid to figure out that low carb high fat diets must be carefully done or you can damage your heart. Didn't ban anything but the advertising.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Been borderline diabetic and high blood pressure whole life. Doctors will not commit because results do not pass the magic numbers to qualify as such. Control all that through diet and exercise. Vices get the best of me at times.

Sitting behind a desk all day does not help. Thankfully there are no elevators in the building. Two story structure and walk up and down the stairs few times a day. CEO downstairs, CFO (my boss) and my office is upstairs.

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    My Dr was amazed that I was even remotely diabetic (type 2) i'm average weight for my height and age, blood pressure perfect.... My lifestyle is maybe a lil bit questionable, and my diet has always for the past few decades been pretty low carb, not by choice, just by what i like to eat. But hey ho, here I am.... get my 2n HbA1c end of next month, will see where i am then.

@The Laughing Man, yeah pretty much, Type 2's bloods can run high and it can take a while to level (there are instances of type 2 where insulin is prescribed) but it can be controlled by diet. My Dr does not like the notion of me coming of meds and controlling it by Low Carb High Fat, and recommends I stick to a healthy carb and low sugar diet as well as taking meds....

I monitor often and know what makes my sugar levels spike, so if i avoid those things, keep off the carbs, use (good) fats for my body fuel, i've seen some impressive blood sugar results!!

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Good deal there^ keep up the good work.....Lucky here so far because it runs on both sides of my family.

13. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    oooooo you're next!!... all jokes aside, its probable

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

as long as I can drink my beer in the pub I'm good :)

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

16. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    will read up on this, because Apple Cider Vinegar helps quite a bit ive read..

although in my youth, BiCarb was used for a different purpose

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not really concerned about sucralose or ACK. The only studies I read which showed them do anything were those which gave rats measurements in grams per day. Rats have very short lives, are very tiny, and were given many times the doses of what we'd take. Sodas have milligrams of sucralose and ACK, not grams. Even large energy drinks with lots of it would have about 100mg of each (usually less). Not to mention results in rats are not always analogous to what would happen in us. If they were we'd be immortal with all the drugs that we can use to reverse aging in those rats (which are almost always from the same genetic line).
    There is no clear answer, but it was in response to the increasing popularity of low carb diets by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Funny how they step in to stop advertisements of low carb foods but do nothing about the leading causes of heart disease in this country. As far as I know trans fats aren't even banned yet. Like everything else in the world it no doubt had something to do with money. If I had to bet on it, someone at the CFIA has a hand in the food industry in a way that it would make him/her or family make less billions of dollars per year if low carb diets became even more popular. Or the more commonly known; lobbyists legally give them money to do the biddings of their companies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Trans fats available everywhere because vegetable oil has longer shelf life (so it won't be banned that easily). It is present in animal fat also but in so tiny quantities that it does not matter.

Deep frying = trans fats. Tho the amount of trans fats in countries like the nordics is really low because we have rather tight restrictions on that. Meat has some because herbivores that are ruminants, ferment the greens inside their gut to get the nutrients unlike us.

Lobbying is such a craphole of things.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man diabetes is rooted in my family tree. My uncle on my dad's side of the family is diabetic plus a few members on my mom's side of the family. Heck even one of my neighbors is one as well. He damaged his thyroid from drinking that crappy diet Pepsi for years. Me I am at high risk for it being over 300 lbs but I am doing something about through diet and exercise.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    As far as I know trans fats are now banned in the US. The amount in animals naturally is so close to zero that it doesn't matter.

As for deep frying, that has nothing to do with trans fats, it's all down to what was used in the frying.