So tired of AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bigbeard1986, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    They are desperate to beat 1080 and dual-GPU is rather outdated method to become a king. Can't blame them.

Still, would be sad to see people taking this bait without doing any research.
    AMD need healthier market approach.

2. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Rx 480 cf vs single 1080 is indeed odd comparison and pretty twisted marketing. To be honest i understand what they wanted to show by that: 2x200usd cards vs single the most powerful and the most expensive gpu from competition, both performing on a similar level? That's a nice price/performance ratio and that's what they aim for, not to directly compete performance-wise but ratio-wise.

Some people just want to spend on computer parts as less money as possible and these people were target of this odd presentation.

3. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Based on the performance info we have so far and the rumor that the $200 cards are going to be 4GB and not 8GB, I'd honestly say a 1070 is a better deal if you're shopping in the $400 range. Maybe the 480 CF setup would be faster in certain scenarios but it would definitely not be worth the headaches and broken games.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    This comparison was sort of... i do not know... 2 cars versus train? 2 cars in sum can achieve the same speed as a train but buying a train is much more expensive than buying two cars... still, nobody said these two cars would do the train speed in regular conditions.

P.S.
    I think i little bit DERAILED this thread, if you know what i mean xD

5. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    The two AMD RX480's running faster than a 1080 was done in Ashes Of The Singularity which is a DX12 game. Isn't multi GPU support in DX12/Vulcan mostly handled by the game developers and not Crossfire/SLI --> AMD/Nvidia?
    If this is the case then most of the history we have about poor Crossfire and SLI support is useless as the point of failure for future games will be on the developers instead. Then the real question will be if people buying multiple graphics cards trust more in the developers than AMD/Nvidia.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing about SLi/CF is simple. It works in most of games which need it, or you can learn to tweak it to work bit better. In some, you are out of luck.

But what you are comparing is worst case scenario. In worst case CF is not working and you are left with one R9-290x, in case of your friend worst is one GTX 980Ti.

That's quite different baseline as he may not even notice SLi is not working.

You have nice option, sell them both. Side grade to RX-480 at lower cost. Get cheap freesync 160Hz screen and forget about stutter.

Because when I compare 144Hz with stutter, it is still better than 60Hz without stutter at all. And Freesync/GSync is bit above it.
    (I know you have 3 screens already, but if it is gaming, you should have gaming screen. Especially if you can get one as cheap as those 160Hz Freesync go.)

7. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Install 15.12 and just update the driver only don't update the settings to which ever you need. The crimson software has been the culprit for me.

This will allow you to at least be able to force crossfire.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    force CrossFire? You mean that old setting "force CrossFire for games without a profile"? You need to enable it for each game you play, by selecting "AFR compatible".

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    It's more like 50/50 for me. Some games work, some games don't. If you spend money on CrossFire, then you must be prepared to wait. Don't expect to play games at day one. Why would you even? Enough games are more broken at release than CrossFire can ever be.

Most of the games i've played in 2016 and 2015 worked with CrossFire, but i got really frustrated by the games that didn't suppor CrossFire.

List of games i've played in 2015:
    GTA V -> CrossFire worked perfectly
    MGSV -> CrossFire worked perfectly
    Mad Max -> CrossFire worked perfectly

Fallout 4 -> CrossFire didn't work as intened. I fixed it myself
    Witcher 3 -> CrossFire didn't work for one week (used my own 'fix') and i have still some stutter today. Oh and water ripples and other water effects are disabled in CrossFire mode :p

List of games i've played in 2016
    Rise of the Tomb Raider -> CrossFire worked pretty good most of the time, but wasn't perfect all the time.
    Dark Souls 2 -> CrossFire worked perfectly
    Hitman (bought it 1 week ago) -> CrossFire works great. However, if i'm already in the game world and start loading a save game, i get a ghost image on my screen.
    Witcher 3 BW -> Health bar messes with CrossFire (not nice)
    XCOM 2 -> CrossFire didn't work at first, but later it worked fine. However, the game sometimes runs like crap (in general).

All the DX 12 games i've played didn't support CrossFire: Quantum break, Forze Motorsports.

I still need to test Dark Souls 3. I waited for a profile. Hopefully Doom will also support CrossFire with the Vulkan API.

All in all it wasn't as bad for me, but nothing is more annoying than problems with CrossFire, if you want to play a game badly. I was very eager to play the Witcher BW. I downloaded it and had a smile on my face while i started the game. You cannot believe how fast that smile disappear. As soon as i loaded into the game world, bad performance was greeting me. :( If AMDs next top card delivers around the same performance as two 290s, than i will probably buy one.

10. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    A single gpu is always better i will wait till vega because nvidia is crap these days and lack full api support for low level api's so they have no future

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Let's hope that Vega turns out to be one hell of a card

12. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    My friend isn't the kind to not notice when SLI doesn't work, he's quite technical.

As for me, I am absolutely not giving AMD money for CF anymore and definitely not for cards with the same performance as what I already have. I already have a 4K FreeSync monitor and I'm only going to upgrade when I can get something with 4K/120Hz+/HDR, I've seen 144Hz monitors and the difference is visible, but the sharpness of 4K is too good to give up for me. I need a lot of performance and am willing to pay for it, but AMD apparently won't compete at all at the Fury X+ level, so NVIDIA is my only option.

Giving up FreeSync sucks but broken CF and straight-up not enough performance (these are 2013 cards after all, I have to give up image quality or performance even when CF does work) suck even more.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Was I just that damn lucky?
    I never had an issue with 290 crossfire, 7950 xfire, 7850 xfire or HD 5770 xfire.

I dont count betas and non released games like ark survival to count for games not working with xfire. But seriously, 99% of the games I played worked great with xfire and scaled wonderfully when I downscaled.
    I only got rid of them because I really wanted a fury X.

14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Depends on what games you're playing, what performance you're getting and what you think is good enough. Older games ran quite well with CF and I was happy back then too, I'm sure those games still run well now.

If you were lucky, you were lucky in the sense that you played titles that ran well, not in the sense that things ran better for you than me or others, because that's impossible when basic software support/profiles simply do not exist.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Indeed,a powerful single card worth it anytime.
    But you need to upgrade slower.

CFX/SLI is a mess because,most of the time,the devs & producers of the games dont give a... about PC.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think ARK has much bigger problem than CF not working. I got it when they 1st announced DX12 implementation. And it was running quite well even without it.
    I play 1~2 weeks in every few months to see what's new and new features. I do love that game. But in meanwhile, performance went down quite a lot.
    They are adding a lot of features, items and creatures. But engine is one thing they ignore.

Only type of culling they have on software level is distance based. And as result driver/gpu has to deal with crippling loads.
    Optimizations for servers were horrid, now they are only bad. But running server on low clocked xeon with 8 cores is magnitude worse experience than running it on high clocked i3. And that's sad because most of load is detailed calculation of dino behavior in zones around player.

Having few players on server is fine even for weak server, but once there are 20+, server tick starts to drop rapidly as they spread across island. One of solutions is to have all players on same base and having them explore together as much as possible. But that's not way people play.

I have downloaded development tools and considered making 1/4 sized island with much more complex geometry to allow for better client and server performance. But that takes a lot of time.

17. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    same boat. already sold one of my 290s, sold the hg10/h60 combo cooling for them and im selling that last 290 and not coming back. switching to a 1080.

been with amd since HD 4870. first they lost me on the cpu side, now on the gpu side.

I already feel bad for people who will buy those 199 gpus.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you feel bad for people because they can't afford $300+ GPU and will buy great 1080p performing GPU for $200?

It's analogy of last generation where you would pay for r7-270x but they delivered r9-290.
    That's how different performance per $ RX-480 has to anything in that price range.

If I had r9-290 and no need for higher performance, i would sell it before RX-480 comes. And buy RX-480 at no additional cost. Side-grading? Yes. But new features and new warranty.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You are weird for feeling bad for people who aren't ready to spend 300+€ on a gpu? Why?

I've lost you there.

I am not selling my 290x for example now because 1080 and 1070 are tad pricey options with not enough added power and I still game on my 1920x1200 monitor also :D

Buying one RX 480 for my partners pc most likely since it does not cost that much for supposedly great performance. And then aim for Vega most likely myself something stronger then 1080 that beats 980ti by only 25% when both are overclocked.

20. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    its more of a, If I spent more money on 290 and it didnt deliver in A,B,C ways
    i'm scared to think what issues and QC problems will the new cards have. It's been the worst 2.5years of gaming hobby for me. So yea, I rather have a 1080 which is like a 290 CF + a bit more than getting a new amd tech. thx but no thx.

----
    edit: not only I got a bad experience with it, now amd is gonna kill the resale value of the cards. amazing. double screwed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.