AMD Catalyst 16.6.1 Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jaju123, Jun 6, 2016.

1. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Well, devil never sleeps, so better to wait until 16.6.7-hotpotato-directorscut-summerremix

---

The pixel format setting is still missing (it's available through CCC-Slim in the latest WHQL version).
    This is yet another case when AMD "ported" things from the old CCC to the new one by simply dropping it and hoping no one will miss it. :p Although this one is important because HDMI still defaults to YCC instead of RGB Full which is sub-optimal when your display properly supports RGB Full.

---

Another note:
    The current latest version of DDU messed up the ACL for the AMD folders (probably when cleaning as admin), so I had to re-run DDU and clean the redundant security descriptors with chkdsk before I could install CCC again.

So, if you used DDU and have install errors, do this:
    - go back to safe mode
    - run DDU again and close it but do NOT let it reboot (remain in safe mode for now)
    - issue this command in an admin command line (right click on Start):
    chkdsk c: /sdcleanup
    (of course, C: should be replaced with the drive letter of your system partition's file system if it's not the default C:)
    - install the driver package normall (without errors this time)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
  3. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
  4. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    I don't know? Lol. Just the usual CPU OC, and RAM (since 3200 is considered OC)

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Radeon Software Version - 16.5.3
    Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0520.1721.29404
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.20.1013-160520a-302818E
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1558
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1197
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13440
    OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.123
    AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.3
    AMD Vulkan Driver Version - 1.0.11.0

Radeon Software Version - 16.6.1
    Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0602.1651.28487
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.20.1025-160602a-303160E

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1558
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1197
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13440
    OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.123
    AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.3
    Vulkan Driver Version - 9.1.0.10.11.0

ON mine its same Mantle version from before:)

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Skylake IPC + fast ram so thats what you get.

7. s0x

s0x Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    /offtopic
    Hopefully when ZEN is released we start seeing scores like this or higher with AMD cpus! :D

8. eucalyptux

eucalyptux Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 1100/1500 +60mv
    Like Windows 7 ? :D

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Speak for yourself :3eyes: Are you using a DP to HDMI adaptor?

[​IMG]

10. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3050
    Did you let Wagnard know? He would probably be interested.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But I thought that fast RAM is redundant for games :D

12. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Highest OpenGL result in Cinebench R15 not by much, but highest ever.

13. ImperialOne

ImperialOne Guest

GPU:
    295x2 + 290x (Trifire)
    Hello, new forum member here. I am requesting assistance from those with far more knowledge and powers than 'lil 'ol me:

Since Crimson 16.4.2 in early May, subsequent Crimson drivers do not display the Crossfire option to enable/disable along the left hand column for the old (Catalyst-era) Radeon Additional settings page that comes up when one clicks the "Additional Settings" tab in the upper right aspect of the DISPLAY tab. As a matter of fact, since the successor to 16.4.2, the Additional Settings area in the DISPLAY tab is gone (but can be found in the PREFERENCE" tab.

What's going on? Is the driver not seeing my three GPUs as it had before (295x2 + 290X)? I suspect that is the case because in game, it doesn't power up the second gpu in the 295x2 or the 290X. I also use MSI Afterburner as well.

Everything reverts back to "normal" and I can use all 3 GPUs after removing newer drivers with newest DDU and going back to 16.4.2

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I have an unusual problem...While the 16.5.3's install perfectly--the 16.6.1's keep throwing up a "Detection Driver Error--contact AMD for assistance" message...I get this whether I clean install or try and install on top of the 16.5.3's.

EDIT: OK...got to the bottom of it...for some reason, Windows is reading a file inside the driver 16.6.1 package as incorrectly signed. I was able to force-install the 16.6.1's through the Device Manager--but the only way to reboot after that install is to turn off driver signature enforcement inside Win10x64. When that is done I can reboot successfully into a 16.6.1 desktop. However, and unfortunately, this is not a solution as upon the very next boot the 16.6.1 driver will refuse to load--so it's back to the 16.5.3's until AMD can get a fixed driver package out there for Windows 10 (unless I want to go through the advanced/Recovery options in Win10 every time I boot the system--which I don't...;)).

EDIT2:

Here's a work-around for those of you for whom 16.6.1 is a necessity...;) This applies to Windows 10.

To permanently turn off driver signing in Windows 10, run the following from an administrator command prompt:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

This turns on test mode which turns off driver signing (so that you can "test.")

To turn it back on (restore Windows 10 default signing checks):

bcdedit /set testsigning off

This turns of test mode and turns default driver signing checks back on.

NOTE: These commands will *not* work in Windows 10 if Secure Boot is enabled in your UEFI bios!

You must turn off secure boot *permanently* in your UEFI for 16.6.1 to install and to *stay* installed. If you turn off secure boot and run the bcdedit /set testsigning on command as enumerated above, then turn secure boot back on, then the next reboot 16.6.1 will fail to load at boot. You must leave secure boot turned off for as long as you wish to run 16.6.1, or until AMD fixes the signing in the driver so that it will install normally with secure boot on, as does 16.5.3 and all earlier Crimsons.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    To those playing Dark Souls 3. How is CrossFire?

16. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    In games which performance depends on cpu frequency of ram is very important. Difference between various speeds can make even 25% or more.

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I didn't imply the Renaissance, merely our present days instead of the future AMD wished us to see through their red hopium pipe.

I think Windows 10 is fine (I am on the "release" branch, not on the preview or on a frozen LTSB and I am happy with it).

Mantle was a stillborn demigod. A light beam through a foggy dream which never actually came through.
    And I still feel somewhat personally offended about this rationalized fairy tale reflection because Mantle and TrueAudio were big selling points for me and I never actually used them outside of testing it - which was a waste of my time.
    For example, I knew I will play tons of hours with DAI but I played the game with DX11 because the Mantle implementation in that game proved to be inferior (contradicting most of the benchmark results, although those benchmarks don't even talk about how you get significantly more random graphical glitched with Mantle). And I didn't really got to play other Mantle games (I was tricked into thinking there will be more in the future but nothing else came out which got me interested ... then it stopped completely...). And let's not even talk about TrueAudio.

18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    How do you make that page of CCC-Slim to show up? Manually with some executable file? Here is how my Crimson control panel looks like with 16.6.1:
    A button for CCC-Slim used be the found (with older Crimson control panels) around the upper right corner of the panel (next to Identify). But it's gone a few "hotfix" versions ago.

[​IMG]

My main display (my old beloved Pioneer LX5090H) is connected directly to the native HDMI output of the 290X with a straight HDMI-HDMI cable.
    However, I use a passive DVI->HDMI adapter to connect the audio receiver. And these two "displays" are in clone mode (the AVR is also a fake/redundant display because it's necessary to have it this way if you don't want to wire them in a row as most people do).
    May be this has something to do with the missing button, although everything works with 16.3.2 (or any older ones from the past few years) the way I want it.

I can still set it to RGB Full with an old driver and update to 16.6, I just can't do clean install.
    May be I could try breaking the clone desktop mode, find the button, set the pixel format and then re-engage the clone mode. :3eyes: But I won't do that now, I already (re)installed drivers 3 times today.

19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Ah. Thank you. I though it might be installed somewhere and I just need to find it but I was lazy to search for it. :infinity:

20. ImperialOne

ImperialOne Guest

GPU:
    295x2 + 290x (Trifire)

But will it restore the option to enable/disable Crossfire with the newer Crimson updates?