DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    @Wrathloki

The game isn't for you like others said, which is fine. Being an FPS enthusiast, no matter for how long, has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of FPS you like to play. You'll like some, hate some... simple as that. And there are plenty of other people who share your POV as well, you're not that special that you're the only one. If you want a community of ppl sharing your POV, check out the negative section reviews of DOOM on steam. If you're in the minority, 'reasons' alone won't change your perspective on the matter let alone making you understand them, no matter how good they are. Why? Because you already and played and hated it. That's like saying "Oh you should give <insert food> another try because of this and this reason."

Some people change tastes, its not something that is supposed to stay consistent throughout the years. I personally would check out DOOM simply because I want the nostalgic feeling of the first one... run and gun, that's it. After years of playing FPS with solid or crappy stories... a change would be nice.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Umm, what's going on here :)

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think this game has some of the best level design since Jedi Outcast.

The verticality is impressive which is enabled by the fact the character can jump / climb effectively (as in Jedi Outcast you had Force Jump etc.).

I occassionally get the same I think and ingame too. Dunno what causes it and it goes away quickly.

Dooms story plays "in the background" and involves finding and reading the codexes pretty much. The ingame tidbits are just a fraction of the whole story to give some motivation as to what's happened.
    It was pretty much the same with Doom 3's PDA entries.

Personally I think that's another cool thing in this game, you need to work out the story for yourself. Or can choose to ignore it for just some run and gun action.

But I also can understand that this game does not suit everyones tastes. It's a straightforward run-and-gun game with a few modern twists (weapon mods etc.).
    Which is exactly what I and probably majority of people wanted from Doom but as such it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, I know there's many campaign players who hate multiplayer, but, as a Cod:Bo3 advocate myself, I think Doom MP is infinitely more balanced than Bo3 MP. Bo3 wins in features, Doom is purer. I enjoy both tbh.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i hate MP FPS games as of recent games and slowly drifting off from any MP games, i just wanna play relaxed and not to try at all, i guess getting older have side effects :D

Doom MP is not interesting at all, snapmap does but it could be much better, i hope someone can insert new guns into the campaign, cause the SP is one of the best ever made.

6. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    loki, pal, if youre disappointed that the story takes backseat to the incredibly tight gameplay & masterfully orchestrated action...then i will simply remind you that you are playing an id software game.

damien & asiju are right, every id game actually has a story...& the main character never gives a **** about it. they make groundbreaking engines & awesome gunplay mechanics. for twenty years...thats it...& now youre expressing surprise at it :D

::edit::

my post reminded me that, even tho carmack stepped away during the development of this project (due to zenimax/bethesda mismanagement idiocy), this game is basically the swansong for the carmack era. bless marty stratton for his dedication to the old guard of FPS pc gaming. maybe the success of DOOM will lead to a new & similarly inspired quake! we can only hope...

7. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Played a few levels at my brother's place on Ultra-Violence and really enjoyed the game. Was impressed with the visuals, level design/structures and player movement.

You can see the Crysis dev has made a huge impact on the game, really another level from older id software games visually. Looks like a mix of Crysis 3 and Doom.

The melee system adds more depth to the Doom gameplay, very nice addition, really enjoyed using it and functional as it gives you health.

The movement and engine feels fluid and fast, feels great to play.

They really nailed that 'Aliens' feel in the corridors, 'Hicks !' ' Ripley !!!!!!'. Very cool.

Looking forward to adding it to my collection one of these days.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game is super-awesome but I really hate the boss fights. Thankfully there have only been two so far up to level 12 which I am currently on (of 13 I believe).

9. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Most people usually enjoy boss-fights (a sense of love-hate relationship :p)

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I enjoyed the first boss fight.
    The second one, I felt was a little tedious. The final one I really liked, it offered up a great challenge.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well to be fair, in the day and age of more open world games, it offers little playtime, but the SP campaign we have been offered, is fun as hell nevertheless.

12. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Seriously there are three boss fights? I haven't even reached thw first one I guess... I'm on the level after you come back from hell

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Argent Tower Destoryed...
    You've still got a good chunk of the game left.

But, without spoiling anything, the boss fights are setup definitely then in most shooters here. Not evenly spaced out through the campaign.

14. FoxHound

FoxHound Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti
    The game is amazing, just like the good old days, now it's time to Quake :)

15. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    : O

People keep saying the campaign takes 10 hours if you're slow.

I've played for 9 hours already

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Steam has me clocked in at 11 hours and I am in the middle of Argent Tower (Destroyed) right now.. :)

17. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Grabbed it last nite for about $35, should be all downloaded by tonite for when I get back from work.

Ignoring any posts in this thread that talk about the campaign will come in handy.

Looking forward to jumping back in.

18. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Finally killed the last boss! :banana:
    Now it's off to try on Ultra Nightmare. :devil::littlegun

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    anyone else notice the Soul Cube in Olivia Pierces office? Pretty neat touch!

14 hours and counting... extrapolating from where I am now would give roughly 16-18 hrs total for first playthrough I think.

And that's without me seeking out every secret and collectable, though I do spend some time doing that too.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Took me 16 hours to finish my first time through.
    Then, my second playthrough I got every secret, collectible and upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.