What happened to Virtu MVP & A suggestion for AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blackfyre, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    You know once in a while there comes a program that does something so amazing and all of a sudden its life is cut short.

Whatever happened to Virtu MVP? The idea that Lucid came up with was brilliant. It hasn't been updated for almost a year and there was always issues with Windows 8+

I remember using it on Windows 7 when Far Cry 3 was first released. It increased my average FPS from 45 to about 65 - 70.

For those of you who don't know or haven't used it. When installing a video card into your PC. Your iGPU becomes absolutely useless. Virtu MVP combined the power of your iGPU with your GPU. It would let your iGPU do vsync while your GPU focuses on everything else.

I have always wondered. Why don't AMD create something similar.

AMD Videocards will be able to fully utilise the extra power of the iGPU and combine it with whatever GPU you're currently using. I have a 7970 & an Intel HD4600 (which mind isn't very weak). I have always wondered why the drivers aren't smart enough to utilise its power more effectively. The iGPU could do certain tasks while the GPU does others.

Like why can't my iGPU handle all the shadows in a scene for example while the discrete GPU does everything else. Or why doesn't the iGPU do the anti-aliasing job or part of it while the GPU works on other stuff.

I'm just thinking out loud here... Feel free to think out loud and join the conversation.

2. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Something like so is possible with AMD HSA.
    The world is rendered by GPU and grass, trees and weather effect its by APU.

There are some problems.

I think this feature will come with the next console generation, Sony can do HSA, Microsoft didnĀ“t take the feature for Xbone. So Microsoft didn't take this feature in DX12...

An other reason is not much people use APU for Gaming, because they are to weak. So for developer its not lucrative to put a lot of work in this. Maybe in future there is a technology transfair between Intel and AMD. AMD get something for there bad CPU and Intel get something for bad HD Graphics like HSA

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Almost every gaming PC these days recommended to anyone features an i5 or i7 with an integrated-GPU. I'm not saying these GPU's aren't weak, but they can be utilised in smarter ways, not only to save power when it's needed, but to increase performance too when it's needed; by acting as a "helper" GPU doing as many small tasks as possible (giving the discrete GPU more headroom to work with.

4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    :eek:c:

Because simply put AMD has only recently started to improve their PXAI (switchable AMD+ Intel) drivers. 3 years too late...and not enough with way too many bugs.

They could barely keep up with Nvidia and only now are trying to integrate automated functional into the driver kernel as opposed to the previous brutish methods that they used. Essentially the lack of integrated support made Intel + AMD graphics cards the worst combo to have when it came to support.

If the current PXAI drivers were to be opened up for desktop consumption you would quickly have features missing like Eyefinity, VSR, etc.

Not to mention the fact that they would need to find some driver devs to implement this feature. The employee retention rate at AMD is currently not very good and the constant rumors of an impending buyout are not helping.

This leads to issues such as Intel + AMD bugs not being fixed for over 1 year now resulting to destroying Windows 10 installs without the chance of safe mode or normal boot. This is an interesting topic as a new method is employed by Catalyst drivers specifically for switchable AMD + Intel graphics that causes this!
    AMD just does not seem to have the resources to deal with these issues.

However DX12 should make the implementation of something like VirtuMVP much easier. At least from what I gathered. ..

Maybe a Samsung buyout might not even be such a bad idea.

Knowledge:

Been modding PXAI drivers for some time now.

5. Assiduous

Assiduous Guest

GPU:
    R9 270 / 2GB
    Agreed, Virtu MVP was a good idea, and AMD should do something - if only because nvidia has already beaten them to it... please see my post on this topic on the AMD forums...

https://community.amd.com/thread/200077

I can only guess we are still waiting because not enough people know what they are missing out on & AMD's resources are limited.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
  7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  8. Assiduous

Assiduous Guest

GPU:
    R9 270 / 2GB
    DX12 explicit multi GPU only allows multiple drivers to be loaded and different graphics cards to work together. In addition to allowing simulanteous use of two different drivers under Windows 7 (purely to enable intel QuickSync on 6 & 7 series boards), Virtu MVP also provides:

Virtual V-Sync aka True triple buffering (render alternately to two back buffers, display last complete frame) ...nvidia has just implemented this feature with the fancy marketing title of 'Fast Sync'.
    Hyperformance - checks if there is enough time to render a frame on GPU before the next monitor refresh, if not, rendering does not occur, allowing game engine to get a head start on the next frame, reducing game latency.

Virtu MVP uses the i-gpu to check frame buffers and presumably to do the neccesary math involved to make this happen. As far as my understanding goes, only one GPU actually renders frames.

So yes, Virtu MVP is no longer needed to access QuickSync, but unfortunately DirectX12 is far from replacing Virtual V-Sync and Hyperformance.