Windows 10 only uses 93% CPU

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by daedalus351, May 2, 2016.

1. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 just over a week ago and have been doing various tests to see how it performs compared to Windows 7. I found that when running benchmarks like 3DMark that CPU scores are substantially worse since upgrading to Windows 10.

I ran Prime95 and found that according to Task Manager, CPU utilisation reaches a maximum of 93% with all 4 cores running Prime95 threads. Task Manager also only reports the CPU clock speed at 2.76GHz instead of 3GHz. It's like Windows 10 thinks that the CPU is slower than it is and is only scheduling enough work for it to reach a maximum of 93%.

PC Specs:
    Core 2 Quad Q9650
    8GB DDR2-800
    ASUS P5Q-SE/R motherboard
    Geforce GTX 660 Ti

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Are you merely reading into Prime95's utilization and not total CPU load? Prime95 can't turn off other apps that are using the CPU.. It's job to to get total CPU usage up to 100% and that's exactly what it does.

Build 14332.rs1

[​IMG]

3. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    No, the 93% is what Windows Task Manager is reporting.

I tried turning Speed Step off in the BIOS and now Task Manager is reporting the correct CPU speed and loading up the system allows it to reach 100% utilisation.

My 3DMark CPU scores are still a few hundred points worse in Sky Diver than they were on Windows 7 though so something still isn't right.

4. Help

Help Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    Windows 10 Uses only 93% of CPU

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue since upgrading to Windows 10.
    Tried reinstalling also.

Any solution to this?

PS: Can't submit pic due to site restriction.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You don`t need any solution because there is no problem. Let Windows to decide how CPU usage is calculated.

6. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    PRIME is supposed to push the CPU to it's max and it sounds like Windows 10 is not allowing this. This could give OC'rs a false sense of a stable OC if the CPU is not allowed to max out.

Hopefully this is a misreading by task manager and the CPU is being pushed to 100% by PRIME

OP try Rainmeter and see if it shows the CPU hitting 100%

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Do you know of anything that pushes a cpu to 100% for a sustained period of time besides Prime or folding?I would think pushing to 93% would uncover the same instabilities.Try Occt and see if it's the same if it is I would say it's just the way 10 reports.

http://www.ocbase.com/

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Prime pushes CPU to its max - meaning the process of Prime has no idle CPU cycles (and CPU overall has no idle cycles). But there are another processes in system, and sum of all CPU usages (for all processes) should be 100%, right? Windows is OS with preemptive multitasking so kernel gives CPU time for all processes.

Edit: Look at picture in styckx`s post - task manager actually shows "100% CPU" in column header - that`s total CPU usage I guess.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I remember one tweak regarding cpu usage.. Something about extra cpu overhead in powerplan settings..

Will have to look more later, but I remember there were 2 - 3 parameters for gfx/lan/cpu so it can save extra for other stuff if needed.

I think I used that tweak in win7..

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok I had to google a bit :nerd:

its Multimedia Class Scheduler Service
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms684247(v=vs.85).aspx

But I remember a gui app that did it.. Hm yeah it had to be by bisum ProcessLasso
    Well I originally found this MS info in their forums when I searched for "windows power plan gpu priority setting"
    https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4511.0
    post #7

But idk kinda doubt its this., Win10 has improved further for sure. If you want to monitor cpu usage properly then use a tool like MSI ab and enable core utilization or hwinfo64, realtemp 3.7, aida64, etc..

Speaking of taskmanager clock, yeah that's bugged., mine shows as 4.66ghz instead of 4.7ghz.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  12. billypit

billypit Guest

GPU:
    MSI
    A value of 0 is also treated as 10. How to disable?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you mean you disable the service?

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yep. Before disabling MCSS service one should remove MCSS from dependencies of other services (like Audio service).

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok so by win10 its already at 0% by default, I just installed Process Lasso to check

[​IMG]

Its at 0% by all, audio, gaming, pro audio, window manager, playback, low latency, distribution, capture..

..shame my old legit key doesn't seem to be working anymore.

16. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    Do a clean install of Windows 10 after performing the free upgrade to make absolutely sure nothing is borked from the upgrade, which can happen sometimes.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is no such service in windows 10 atlest not that I seeing, so how exactly you doing that on windows 10, it not even a dependacy in windows 10

I do how ever do this

* Open regedit
    * Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
    * There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
    * Reboot

18. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    MMCSS has been integrated into the kernel as of Windows 10 so it no longer shows up as a service. You really shouldn't have to tweak the network throttle stuff anymore. I don't think this has really been an issue for quite some time. I've never had it throttle network activity even when programs which I know are using MMCSS are active.

I don't think it can be 0. Windows has a hard coded lower limit which I believe is 10%.

I would argue against doing this. As mentioned earlier MMCSS has been integrated into the kernel in Windows 10 so you can't just disable the service anymore. Even in previous Windows versions you really shouldn't have to disable the service and I would argue against doing it there as well. There have been gradual improvements in scheduling going from 7 to 8 to 8.1 and now with Windows 10 so I would recommend leaving things both with MMCSS and in the power options at their default values.

For most applications that are using MMCSS priority will still be in the "Normal" category unless you're using the Pro Audio one in which case it may get boosted to High. Setting higher thread priorities in and of itself should not be an issue especially if there is not high contention for CPU resources.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    To use MCSS an application has to call its API (telling MCSS which profile of task it wants to use). When such call is made MCSS takes the caller thread under his control. There are no automatic influence of MCSS on all threads in system. Assuming MCSS as anachronism from times when Windows+CPUs were not capable to maintain heavy payload I prefer to switch it off.
    And I have no Win10 so...

20. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    OP stated the CPU was being maxed to 93% total usage not just PRIME usage.