Starbreeze and Acer to Form Joint Venture for the StarVR Headset

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    this is good news = more competition and eventually VR will be cheaper for end users

3. Moegames

Moegames Guest

I personally feel the VR fad will die off like 3D HDTV's did in the same fashion.

The problem i see is that far too many PC's right now in the mainstream sector do not have the hardware for VR right now, but what's even worse is no unified architecture for VR headsets...its an utter mess in my opinion. The only way this will work is if there is a standard unified arch for the VR hardware and most importantly...the mainstream PC users have the power needed for it.

The only chance i see that "Might" help VR is Sony's console VR for PS4...if that takes off than there might be a chance for VR to stick around but still...In my opinion, its gonna wear off like the Wii's motion controls and 3D HDTV's did...its nothing but a fad that will come and go, most likely.

Also I have tried VR in Chicago at a expo, and while it was REALLY COOL..i can see how it'll get old fairly quick, like any other niche technology. And everything required for it is just too expensive for this type of thing..even the PS4's VR setup is too expensive.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I think it's here to stay in the long term.

But atm, hardware requirements are an issue, it's essentially new technology in a stage of infancy.

5. GiggleHz

GiggleHz Member

GPU:
    3xGTX480 1xGTX260physx
    I got my Vive a couple weeks back...and its mostly been sitting unused. That said, the technology is really amazing and some experiences are AMAZING. You really do feel like youre there..BUT, the resolution is a real bummer, and the SDE is a real drag...Next gen VR should be really amazing though. Im not a super picky person but yah being able to pick out the individual pixels is kind of a bummer, I think if/when 4k VR is doable that...will be very very nice.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Eh, maybe, but it's like any TV for me, i'm no first adopter and i'm perfectly happy waiting years.

Skipped 3d on this tv, good investment. I'll see in like 5 years what VR is like.

I only finally tried my first headset last week, oculus dk1, with about 20fps.