Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thank you for that.

The link to that review is here for anyone else, like me, curious as to how the GTX 1080 fares against an overclocked GTX 980 Ti:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx-1080-graphics-card-review/

That pretty much confirms that it is not really worthwhile me upgrading to a GTX 1080 as my own GTX 980 Ti SC, already running at a stock clock of 1,100 MHz, is set at 1,225 MHz with an offset of +125 MHz and boosts to 1,441 MHz during gaming. The GTX 1080 benchmarks are within 10 fps or less of the overclocked GTX 980 Ti.

Sure, the GTX 1080 itself can also be overclocked but it really looks like I would be better off just waiting it out for the next high-end Pascal model, whether it be the GTX 1080 Ti or whatever.

Of course, I say that but come 27th May, when I am conveniently (or inconveniently) off work for a week then the urge to upgrade might become too overwhelming. A high price of £620+ would almost certainly put me off buying though even if I could get £300 for my GTX 980 Ti SC. Let's see how much willpower I have between now and the 27th!!! :D

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't mind the founders edition price point so long as there are AIB boards that will be available at the MSRP at or very near launch. Unfortunately, it would seem like those boards aren't coming till up to a month after launch if not longer according to PC Perspective.

In the past the reference boards would be the baseline cost and force partners to compete with that price-point while they were in production. I understand Nvidia's desire to keep the product around and price it outside competition with their partners, but there needs to be some entry level force that sets the MSRP as the base. Currently there is nothing like that.

https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=270

If you watch that video, the marketing guy that came up with the founders edition thing has absolutely no idea how to respond to the guys question. It's almost as if they didn't even consider how the MSRP is going to be set. Later on his boss basically let's it spill as to why they did it. Regardless, it still stands that it's not a great model for consumers and the marketing/messaging to the public side of it was even worse.

(I'm actually curious who that reviewer is that grills him)

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The 1080 is awesome. Price is a little high, but it's not overvalued like say the Titan X.

Like I said though, if you have a Titan X, 980Ti, even a 980, Fury, 390x, basically anything over the 970 in performance getting a 1080 might not be worth it for an upgrade.

The real competition is going to come with custom board designs with multiple molex adapters proper power routes for some overclocking.

And as said before, the Ti but price on that sucker is gonna be steep.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, IMO, the Titan X was massively overpriced in comparison to the GTX 980 Ti which offered much better value and only really lacked the more expensive card's extra 6 GB of VRAM. Hardly worth the extra £350 or whatever.

It does seem that with every new generation of graphics card that NVIDIA are pushing the price of their high-end cards up. A few years ago they cost under £500 then last year we had the £560 GTX 980 Ti and now (soon) we have the £620 GTX 1080. Makes me wonder how much the GTX 1080 Ti is going to cost when it comes out next year! :3eyes:

5. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    [​IMG]

Why is there so much variation with AotS

Async ON
    [​IMG]

Async OFF
    [​IMG]

This is at 1480/7900 btw, XTreme gaming 980Ti should clock very close (except for memory), certainly shouldn't account for such big variation

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If the Founder's Edition card was guaranteed to overclock higher than the $100 cheaper models then it would perhaps be worthwhile but from what I've read the card uses the exact same chips as those so you are still gambling on how overclockable your reference card is going to be.

Personally, I've always preferred reference cards because of the airflow design (vented through the back of the case rather than inside it) and the premium look but then they've always been priced lower than third-party custom cooled cards.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Titan's were always the high dollar item though, and do have some more uses other than gaming at least.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's true of the older Titans which offered double-precision (or whatever it's called) but the Titan X does not even have that over the GTX 980 Ti so you're paying for a few more shader cores and double the VRAM.

9. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    double precision is irrelevant for deep learning though and the extra ram is handy

source: i work in ai and we plan on keeping one titan x for experimenting with bigger networks

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    We're talking about $700 and $1000 video cards here. I would hope anyone running one of these things has at the very least, an i7. Cheap bastards. :nerd:

11. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I was really hoping gp104 would keep the doubled fp16 throughout announced on the Gp100 :<

12. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Ye mby they can. I saw Tesla P100 pictures atleast 2 years before Maxwell appear.
    But Nvidia is still depended from other companys in HMB2 departament.
    Samsung just start mass producition their HMB2 in January this year.
    So it can be expensive till techonology grow some, and be more saturated.
    Its about mass production - not single units like for Tesla.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    For themselves. If you think they're here to make gamers happy, wake up. They run a business. It's all about money.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup, no company is here to make everyone happy. They are trying to make their customers satisfied in some way to gain money. Because in the end that is all that matters money.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Looking at the rational side, the 1080 will be dethroned in 5-6months by a large margin due to HMB2 GPUs.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Gets 2 1080's for sli.

Has a Pentium Anniversary edition. :p

17. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I think u hit the point of this discussion. I think mby in Feb we should get something on HMB2?
    Thats why I said.. keep 980Ti/TX and keep calm guys, not be crazy on 1080 hype.
    1080 all way its better card, but not much.
    That repeat mny ppl aswell :)

18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Lol, that was good fun to watch. The guy in the t-shirt holding the card just lays down right away. The other fool goes on bobbing and weaving for a few minutes before sticking his own fist in his mouth for the KO when he basically says, "well we're floating out the reference, I mean...uh...uh...founder's edition card, for 100 more just to see how many morons will queue up to pay that higher unjustified price (not specially binned chips)" Maybe they could have tag-teamed Tom Petersen before going down and we could have seen a triple KO. :funny:

[​IMG]

19. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

Exactly mate, I think some people just don't get it do they. Nvidia are a business and in being a business will act as such. The bottom line is money.

Personally I think its a great card!

Theres a good chance I'm going to buy one, as I game at 1440p and two 7970s are getting on a bit and CF doesn't always give a great experience, as much as some people like to pretend everything is perfect all the time!

Of course I'll wait a little while for MSI and Giga, Asus etc for there offerings but I'm 99% certain I'll be picking one up in a month or so

20. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    There's a very real possibility that NV will avoid HBM entirely and just use G5X with a wider bus and higher speeds.
    The people claiming to be disappointed by 1080vs980Ti are comparing the wrong two cards

Designing small very high-clocked chips is extremely good for business