DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    1. You can launch Doom in three modes : Multiplayer, Campaign and SnapMap. There isn't much of a story tbh :)
    2. I've played for 2hrs and apart from the first ingame "cinematic" there isnt much more.
    3. I personally think it's much less linear than any CoD game. Maps have several levels and are pretty large with objectives (HUD marked) and locked doors that require you to find key cards (unmarked)
    4. The game progresses like in Doom3. You arrive to an airlock, elevator or such where you press "Exit" on a monitor to be transferred to the next map. So far I dont know anything about chapters but the achievements mention E1M1 like back in the days.

I think you'll like it. It's fast, brutal, pretty and lacks reloading. You can customize your Doom guy with perks (a bit meh, but that's how games are today) and of course customize your weapons. There are tons of secrets which are pretty hard to find actually unless you acquire a perk that helps you with that.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    looks great!!..I wonder if there is/would be any kind of lighting mod like there was for Doom 3...I mean this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ZmiO8_RPg

I remember how cool was to see all casting shadows from the weapon at that moment!!:banana:...would be great to see the same effect in this one...:)

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There is a campaign/story mode.
    And, it's a remake/retelling of the 1993 Doom's story. Only... a little not.
    The game is very campy in a lot of it's story elements. And it does so intentionally.

It plays as if there's a serious story happening, but the Doom Marine simply doesn't care. His only motivation is to kill everything. He doesn't care at all about the reasoning behind what's happening, or why people are doing what they are doing.

There are in game moments were you have to stop and listen to a character talk about what's going on.
    But these are very few and far between. I think there's maybe... five or six such moments the entire game.

The rest of the story is either told to you over a radio on the fly, while you're exploring/killing.
    Or told through codex entries you pick up and you can either read or ignore.

At the end of each level you'll come to an airlock/cycle chamber that has a console that says "Exit Facility".
    Very Doom 3 in this aspect. Works exactly the same as Doom 3 did.

But, even with this, the levels are massive. Huge maze like environments that allow backtracking, exploration, tons of secrets and can take easily over an hour each to hunt down everything.
    And, in a lot of levels, you can return to the very beginning area if you want.

It's a level to level progression style game.
    No chapters, just level 1, 2, 3 and so on. Again, very much like how Doom 3 progressed.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SP, MP, and snapmap ran fine but now that I went back to mission select with increased difficulty and after completing the level, it tends to crash with a black screen. I can move my windows mouse cursor and that's it. Really weird.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You'll know how far into the level you are by checking the "kill count" bar in the top right of your screen. Basically, you'll be filling up these circles based on how many mobs you kill. Every time you fill a circle, you'll get a weapon upgrade point. Say you have 5 circles to fill in a given level... You know you're near the end of it if your filling up the last one.

That probably doesn't make much sense if you haven't played the game lol ^

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, sorta like 5 waves (PvZ), each circles outer ring slowly fills with colour the closer to beating each wave you get

7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    U get them circles faster filled up when u use glory kills and when u kill multiply enemies with 1 shot of a gun :)

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Killed a few with one shot, enjoy ripping their heads open and stomping heads too when they're stunned

Rage/Fury power up or whatever it's called is fun too

9. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Doom now finally shows up in my Steam profile. 11.8 hours played, and i'm only at Level 7 – Argent Facility (Destroyed). Yeah i take my time. lol

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Chasing for secrets?I do same. And try play previous maps from main menu. Enemies are harder and more variety.

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I am not usually a fan of 8 String Guitars but this is beautiful:

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Yes indeed. Exploring every inch of the maps. :) It's good to have the option to chill out whenever you can between the fights and just wander around enjoying the scenery.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ @ Netherwind & Damien_Azreal, thank you both so much for answering my questions.

Seems worth buying and for around £22 it's not bad!

Looks like I'll enjoy the game...

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I just finished the game. Took about 11 hours and that was taking my time. That last boss was a pita

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK I did some checking, and you guys are right. Megatextures do NOT allow for dynamic lighting :stewpid:

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, I got past the Cyberdemon... doesn't really get any easier eh lol

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I died like 10 times trying to beat him. :D

18. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    So which AA mode is the best one?

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    TSSAA 8x, but needs some extra sharpening (2.3 - 2.5), at least for my taste. I wanna see those reflections that go missing with any kind of postAA :D

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Aw man, still only played for 3 hours which I put in last Friday.

Work days getting longer and longer and you end up being too tired to even play Doom... I barely managed to drag my ass to the PC to visit the forums :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.