GeForce GTX 1070 / 1080 Founders Edition Explained

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 9, 2016.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Basically the idea behind the founders edition card is that Nvidia wants to sell their card alot longer after launch and rename the card from reference to founders because its what they made.

2. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    There's just no info to make any kind of judgement about what the clocks of the card will be. I wouldn't think Nvidia's 2100 would be the limit, why would they rely on a card OC'd near the limit in their reveal presentation? Just asking for trouble. I expect 2100 may be an OC, but it will be conservative.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Off Topic : Very interested in seeing actual results when they do hit.

On Topic : I'll just slap the stock coolers back on my 670s and call it 670 FU instead..unbelievable!:puke2:....actually no.I take that back, less heat so those blowers may actually work this time..ok.:thumbup:...wonder what the temp threshold will be.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So it's like Apple naming their screens "Retina" because somehow that makes them better. Founders Edition is completely meaningless other than identifying your card as being generic.

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I am not trying to bust on the guy but why in the world does he ( always ) wear the same clothes/! Every event I see him at he has that jacket on, almost the same exact pants ect....He dosent make enough money? Lol/

And that guy from Epic games when he announced him, the guy cant even hold a decent coversation he looks mentally challenged to me.God help us if this is who is pushing the gaming industry! Wow.The card on the other hand does look good haha.

6. jerzeeloon

jerzeeloon Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti hybrid sc2
    If the founders edition isn't binned screw paying $100 on a fan cooler I'll buy a hybrid kit.

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Reference = Founders Edition.

Nothing changed since last year reference its the same.

They just change the name.

MARKETING.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Thanks for the details. Was indeed pretty obscure from Nvidia.

Now, can anyone tell me between AIO and vapor chambers, pros and cons? VRM cooling?

With the lower power consumption AIO might become overkill ?!

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hmm, I'm interested in it. Really depends on UK price. Will see mid-June. If the reviews say founder version is better, then, yeah, that's the one I'll be getting.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Better in what way? You mean vs custom cooled for 600$?

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It'd have to run cooler and oc better.

12. Ursopro

Ursopro Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 WindForce3
    wow! 699 for a stock card now lmao. I am sure tons people will still buy it.:bang:

13. rhysiam

rhysiam Guest

GPU:
    I'm still half expecting the market to be founders edition only for the first little while. Seems unlikely that Nvidia will be able to meet the early demand for this card. That drives prices up but its usually the retailers who benefit from these supply related price rises (apart from high volume sales, AMD didn't benefit at all from the higher prices back when the in the mining craze pushed up demand for their cards. Retailers just pocketed the higher margins).

Launching "founders edition" first at a higher price allows Nvidia to get better profits while demand is high shortly after launch. Once that settles, they allow partners to launch at a lower price and remain competitive without having to lose face with a price cut.

I'm just speculating, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me all.

14. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    They already advertise the base and the guaranteed boost mhz, anything over that is a bonus because of different binning, temps, etc.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    "Hard O C P" had a good article on the explanation behind this. All boils down to Nvidia releasing a product that will be competing with AIB releases at launch. These reference cards will be available for purchase for the entire life of the line instead of only at launch. Good, bad, or indifferent, given the overclocking potential, does not seem that wise of a move. Did they create a card that can only posses perceived and not actual AIB improvements? At what point does the law of diminishing returns effectively kick in on the oc?

EDIT: Brand neutral?

Last edited: May 10, 2016

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so now cards with proper cooling will be 100$ cheaper than stock card? now that's a plot twist, NVidia

17. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    hahahahahhaahhaha, i can;t stop laughing at this:heh:

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Should call it PG (price gouge) edition.

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's kinda like Steve Jobs and his black polar neck (turtle neck), kind of like a signature I reckon - plus it makes choosing outfits easier, they gotta focus on the tech!

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The run you have seen ( maybe only screenshoot ) during the live streaming was here specially for show the overclock potential of it.

Yeah i know it was not really clear and many have think the gpu was run "default" at 2.1ghz.

This was not really the only thing confusing during the stream, like offtly during thoses "keynote".

Last edited: May 10, 2016