AMD Polaris 10 GPU To Offer Near 980 Ti Performance For 299 USD?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You could say the same about kepler vs maxwell, maxwell vs pascal. It's a new architecture, but obviously has its roots in the previous one. There are architectural changes though yes?

Anyway the gcn 1.x designation is the one I'm most accustomed to, Polaris isn't an architecture, because the Vega cards will be based on the same architecture and won't be called Polaris. Other than that, you can call it whatever you want

2. BColt

BColt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 280x
    Wow those numbers :)
    Wishfull thinking is all I get from them

3. Lukart

Lukart Active Member

GPU:
    Waiting for the next Gen
    Well, they do know the specs now. I'm guessing by now they got their design Kits and they are on it!

But, guess what, no AIB's don't have a clue most of the times of AMD product performance / pricing is until the very last moment.

What AMD give is product positioning as I mentioned so AIBs are not completely clueless.

Tell me one thing, if it's up to the AIB to choose to make a product based on AMD good or bad pricing, why all AIBs doing all models even if AMD pricing is totally wrong?

In the AIB world you know you will have:

400-500ish USD
    299-399 USD
    199-298 USD
    Sub 199 USD

Basically this is what AIBs know they will get every generation and they hope AMD can be competitive in each of them, if not then even if they didn't like the pricing AMD gave they will have them and then you see pricing drop because there's a certain limit to how long you can hold stock with out selling and this is the AIBs margin getting squeeze.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Right man. Is that reason why you think we do not know final pricing, or any other pricing?
    Think for a moment. There is GloFo, they have hundreds of people who know (have access to information) deal they made with AMD. That means Cost per wafer. And as they know number of chips per wafer, they know price AMD pays for one GPU.
    Then you have another big bunch of people on AMD side who know this very same price and how much they intend to ask from AIBs for each GPU.

Yet, you do not have this information available. Because all those people are professionals not spilling their guts on twitter/FB/...

But AIBs do not have professional/respectable approach to business and therefore AMD does not deem them worthy of telling them, how much they'll pay per GPU...
    (Otherwise you would already know pricing, right?)

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No one saw this coming? Volcanic Islands? What worries me more is that they have started the naming scheme after stars. Stars are hotter than molten rock and operate off of much more power. Another conclusion one can draw given the recent financial results, is that they went for stars because they are going into a supernova stage before ultimately collapsing in on themselves. Problem with this is who or what are they going to suck down with them once the momentum of the implosion starts?

Get them while they're hot...

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would be worried about heat, if they named them 'Fat Man' and 'Little Boy'. That would guarantee quite some heat.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Thanks for the laugh. Made this slow day worth it.

EDIT: The only atomic device connected to my computer is: time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov (automic clock in Boulder, Colorado).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  8. DeadlyBGShadow

DeadlyBGShadow Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA64-O8G
    You don't have to have Engineering degree to understand that GCN is a Architectural template that gets changed in to the Codenamed Polaris sub architecture of GPUs.
    They are all architectured / designed using the GCN architecture, just modified in to a new build.
    Example:
    Polaris 11 / Baffin is 1.4.1* GCN architecture using the new GCN architectural model.
    Polaris 10 / Ellesmere is 1.4.2* GCN architecture using the new GCN architectural model.
    Every revision have the Core GCN 1.4 elements but differ architecturally one from another by changing variables in the base model and compensating with structural changes to make for the first ones.

*This number is fictional and is placed for the sole reason of giving a model of hierarchy in the architectural changes.

In other words "It's all just a matter of semantics"

9. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    signed. :thumbup:

10. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    What you call a 'sub architecture' is an implementation of the architecture , it can be scaled up for big dies, down for small dies. At the end of the day the fundamental thing is to note that Fiji Tonga are the same uarch, Polaris and Vega are the same uarch in just the same way GM200 is the same as gm204

If instead of gm20x nvidia decided to call each maxwell gpu something different like 980ti/titanx core is called Kirchoff, gm204 is called Rosenberg and gm206 is called Steinmetz. It's the exact same thing

11. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    From the official AMD site:
    "The Polaris architecture features AMD’s 4th generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, a next-generation display engine with support for HDMI® 2.0a and DisplayPort 1.3, and next-generation multimedia features including 4K h.265 encoding and decoding."
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-demonstrates-2016jan04.aspx
    Graphics Core Next (GCN) is the codename for both a hardware microarchitectures as well as for an instruction set architecture (like x86).

AMD earlier named his architectures GCN 1, GCN 2, etc. Anand, in his articles, promoted naming GCN1.1, GCN1.2 etc. AMD to avoid confusion now uses GCN x generation.

12. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Speculation about thech aside...a price tag of 400$ / 450€ makes more sense. Even so that's 200$ / 200€ less than current 980Ti price. :heh:

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't believe he's aware the process and BOM was established at least 6 months ago. Barring major issues, the main players are aware of the unit cost and margins.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah :frown:

I just throw it out there once more, Volta. :D

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I'm not sure why many people seem surprised that Polaris has the potential to offer 980Ti performance at a $300 price tag. Think about it.

The 970 ($329) was competitive with the 780Ti at launch.
    The 770 ($399) was slightly faster than the 680.
    The 670 ($399) was faster than the 580.
    The 390 ($329) is slightly faster than a 290x.
    The 280x ($299) was practically a 7970.
    The 7870 ($349) was competitive with the 6970.

This has been happening every generation for the past 5 years. Maybe more than that but I'm lazy to check the numbers - I believe I proved my point.

If anything, it will be surprising if AMD won't offer 980Ti or Fury X performance at a $300 price tag.

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Right? I was thinking nearly the same. In fact, we used to get even larger gains with new generations. Sometimes close to double.

So anyways, big whoop. :) The video card front has been pretty stagnant for awhile and it's about time something better, faster and cheaper came out.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think people are surprised that it offers that performance at that price tag. I think they are surprised that it offers that performance at that price tag, with those specs.

Like we have a general understanding of what GCN offers given the core count and a general idea of the clock speed. We made an assumption about that kind of performance (not to mention that we do have an official "benchmark" of the card in Hitman) and this rumor kind of goes against the grain of both.

The general specs would put it at around 390x range and in Hitman @ QHD the card was ~60fps, which is exactly what Hilberts score for a 390x is. Granted that test was run a while ago and im sure Polaris drivers have matured.

But yeah, that's the reasoning behind the "surprise" some people have.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm surprised also, but they said that this is probably the most radical revision they have done. It has a thing inside called the Primitive Discard Accelerator, that reminds me of PowerVR somehow. That Hitman demo was also sometime ago with what I guess was a non-final version of the PCB/VRM combo for the card. There is the chance that they raised the clocks +50% over that and called it a day. A 2500+ shader card with a much improved GCN revision, could easily go vs the 390x, now imagine clocking it at 1.5GHz for turbo clocks. Then you hit the 980Ti, and probably beat it too.

20. Hardcore8uk

Hardcore8uk Guest

GPU:
    Club3D 2x HD 7970 XFIRE
    The price for top tier cards at the moment are a complete joke thanks to nvidia launching cards every 6-8 months just to be the fastest at any cost, and that cost is pasted on to consumers, £650 for Fury X was way too much but only because nvidia