Running at the park

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IcE, Apr 20, 2016.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I've been wondering this for a long time now, and I figured the Gurus here would be a good resource. So, I love running. I run at a local park close to me that has some challenging trails. However, the park is generally fairly populated, so I'm passing people on the regular.

As an introvert, this confuses me. Is there a certain etiquette you need to follow when you pass someone towards you in the other direction?

Do you stare them down from a mile away and lock eyes with them until they pass like they owe you money?

Do you look at the ground all the time like you hate yourself?

Do you look at the ground until you get close and then look up and smile?

Cloak of invisibility?

This problem is magnified when it's a hot grill approaching (and this park is full of them). I'm a fairly attractive dude and all, and confidence isn't really the issue here. I just don't want to look like either a serial killer or someone who wants to die :)

2. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    just watch your footing til youre close, then smile politely. orrrrrrr you can just ignore em, but im from a small town in the south & its common to acknowledge folks that way, so i do

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Well, if it is indeed a hot grill, grab a hamburger and be on your way.

Otherwise, option three is probably ok. Though, I generally prefer to look up and frown.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Hot grills, hot grills everywhere. I can't eat and run at the same time though :bang:

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I would look at nothing but the path ahead of me. Your running so focus on what your doing, no need to look here and there.

A really hot chick would be the only thing to cause me to stare or turn my head. :)

6. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I don't have any problem looking at strangers directly on their eyes. Most of the time, they are the one who avoid eye contact. If the look at back at me I usually give a small smile, or a little nod of the head, or move my eyebrows up briefly. Those small gestures are enough as basic social interaction.

If there is no eye contact, I'll just ignore and pass them.

There is no obligation to interact with every person you see. Just be cool.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Uhh... I guess I shouldn't try to give any advice...

[​IMG]

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    You're a runner, moving fast, so look at their general forehead region briefly and NOD. Saying something would mess up your breathing. The slightest nod from a true master is well respected.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yes , when it is a attractive woman you are supposed to wink

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I just look forward when running. But I probably gonna face and smile if there sexy grill standing/walking.

Run and face what you like, improve your running experience.
    Just try not to watch down, unless its not safe. Facing forward is much more fun.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is interesting thing about running vs walking. Amount of energy burnt is that much different. Main difference is additional energy burnt from running due to more up/down movement, but that comes at cost of joints having to deal with it. I personally prefer walking.
    Yesterday, pub was 2.9km away, took me 22minutes of walk with 4.8kg bag (night clothes + netbook/accessories). And apparently I had already cold weather clothes on me.
    That's like 7.9km/h (2.2m/s) average speed. Usual human walk speed is 1.4~1.5m/s very fast walk is considered 2.5m/s.
    Usual long distance (non-pro) runners can do about 15km/h (4.2m/s). So, running there in appropriate running clothing without bag would be like 11.6minutes for average runner.

Now, here is interesting article.
    There are few notables from their little study. Running can burn around 40~45% more energy per same distance than walking.
    Tho, their Walking was really just slow walk speed: 3.2mph = 5.2km/h = 1.44m/s
    And their running was nothing special either: 6mph = 9.65km/s = 2.68m/s.
    + they did test short distance only as long distance makes difference smaller due to walk/run requiring 1st to get to burn mode. Which especially at low walk speeds take longer distance.

So, I would ask you. Do you run because you have no time to walk? How many km do you run? Maybe you can get rid of your little looking problem by change of strategy :)
    In the end there are many people who run for 2~3km and can't move for rest of day and their legs hurt even few day after. But very same people can walk 20~40km per day and be just fine every day. (burning more energy, just with higher time investment each day)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You know Glass City Marathon is this weekend? Everyone is training for it! You might have seen me around a couple times depending where you run! :D

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    THIS sort of thing would be great especially first thing in the morning. Issue is i'd probably run into a tree:

[​IMG]

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Look forward(ahead of you) and when you get close a simple nod is good. For hot grills if they make eye contact smile.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And it has to be a really dumb looking smile too. Then forget about surroundings cause hot grill.

16. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    haha fox. a lot of people go out for runs to get fresh air & just want a change of scenery; running on a treadmill is boring, & if youre already at the gym, its better to use the elliptical machine. its much better for your joints.

meanwhile id think one would have to walk much farther distance in order to gain comparable cardio benefits to a more intense but shorter run. just idle conjecture on my part but it seems to follow logically

::edit::

also i dont care to walk 3-5miles, that sounds insufferably boring :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I actually walk ridiculously fast to warm up my muscles and joints prior to getting to my running trail, as well as walking back to my car afterwards (I park about 2 miles away, because I'm a masochist). I prefer it to stretching and it gets me hyped to do my run. With that said, I find walking doesn't give you the same "high" that you get after a completed run, where I pushed my goal posts just that little bit farther.

I'm stuck working, boo. But I probably have seen you, haha. I run at Wildwood 5 days a week, sometimes 6 or 7 days if I'm stressing about something.

I can't say I haven't come close a few times :)

And thanks for the replies fellas, gives me a much better idea of how to not look like a tool. Lmao.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If it's hot girls, always put on your best smile. If they smile back (optional), turn around and run after them. :eyebrows:

[​IMG]

19. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    That would probably turn into a chase, not the good kind :D

Probably just "scan" the area ahead and nod at people that are coming towards you. Don't say anything, it might sound a little weird cause you're running (extremely embarrassing, had it happen a few times :D). Not everybody of course, you're busy!

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Haha, yeah, gotta love the .gif though!