PlayStation 4K SoC Could Feature 2304 Stream processors based AMD Polaris GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    This might just do it for PS VR. Still hoped for something better than the 390. Hopefully the PS5 won't be such a disappointment.

2. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    I bought PS4 a year ago. I don't find myself as "early adopter" because i have C chassis of this black **** with engraved "PS4" under my TV. Also i got 3 year extended warranty. I want new PS 4.5 replacement free of charge under warrant period. I feel like im screwed from behind big time!

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Aren't they still losing money on every PS4 they sell?

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Was like $60 when it launched probably nothing now.

I think they were losing like ~$200+ on every PS3.

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    why think the hard way for optimization ?
    when rather true 4K, it more upscaling ... big hint in what sony said to FPS, sony dont want 10FPS on 4K ... while 60fps on 1080p

and for console, rather like in PC where user can change various setting
    it will simple setting, one for vanilla ps4, one for new ps4

there wont 2 version games i believe...
    if sony going that path.... not only they will get rage from original ps4 owner... but from developer also for one or another reason
    do u think sony stupid enough to pick that route when cross-platform is common?

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    If I was to get a PS4, then, this is definitely the one I would buy. I do have a PS Vita so there's a few options I would enjoy...

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If those specs are correct then the new PS4 sounds like it is going to be better for 1080p gaming than the current model, meaning more consistent framerates whether they be 30 or 60 fps. That is a very good thing in my view. It could feasibly run the new Ratchet & Clank game at 60 fps instead of 30 fps for example.

But, and it's a big but... the PS4 is not even three years old and to release a new model, even if it is a glorified Ultra 4K BD player, just seems silly. Also, it runs the risk of upsetting the existing fan base if a game runs at 60 fps on the PS4K (or whatever it will be called) and a stuttery 30 fps on the original. I know that I would feel compelled to buy the new model if that was the case even though I have no current interest in 4K gaming (I do not even own a 4K TV anyway).

More powerful consoles are a great idea but I hate this push for 4K when the reality is that 1080p is perfectly fine for console gaming. That extra power should be used to create better 1080p experiences with better framerates and detail rather than pushing for 4K. It's like running before you've learnt to walk IMO with technology escalating so fast that it barely has time to catch its breath... 720p to 1080p in the last five years on console to 4K on PC with 3D and VR as (IMO) gimmicky distractions.

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    "According to the report, as of October all new PS4 games will ship with a “base” mode for the existing PS4, and a “NEO” mode leveraging the upgrades increased power to provide higher and more stable frame rates and “higher visual fidelity” at 1080p."

Taken from the VG247 article.

VG247 Article

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I actually think the push for 4K is good. It will delay graphics for a bit while performance catches up, which kind of sucks, but it essentially eliminates quality loss through resolution. It will also set a baseline for PC games where 4K is the new target.

I'd rather them just skip to the end then delay, delay, delay with mild increases for the next 10 years.

I guess it will support HDR and whatnot too if it is based on Polaris. Could be pretty cool.

I mean I think its' a bit of a stretch to say that's two versions of the game. Like we don't say the Division running on Ultra vs High vs Medium vs Low are 4 versions of the game. It's the same game with some properties tweaked to increase the framerate.

The only problem I can see is in competitive games where extra performance might give a player a competitive advantage. But then that problem doesn't really exist on PC so idk.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  10. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    When putting it like that then yes is a bit of a stretch, but I still feel cheated by Sony if I have to play f.example Uncharted 4 with less graphic fidelity than people who opted to wait and by a PS4. If they have no "swap-in"upgrade" offer that means that I have to trow another 400-500$ at Sony to get the same experience as the late adopters of the console.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Incremental physical console releases now?

Just release PS5/Xbox2 when they are ready.

What's next, PS4.75?

That's the road that is being paved here and if the 4.5 is positively received, it won't be long before they see how much further they can push it.

A console was always a safe bet because you were guaranteed a long life cycle and considering all this is really going to do is enhance 1080P play, I say save it for the PS5, we don't need 'tiers' of the same console gen, if people want to dick around with hardware upgrades, they can buy a PC.

I see many people saying they will be 'onboard' with the PS4.5 if there is an upgrade path. Sadly, I think you will be expected to buy a whole new console and as much as Sony says that there will be no exclusives etc for the new console, we've heard these types of promises before.

There is no efficient way to upgrade existing PS4s, I don't see it happening.

Similarly, I doubt there will be any incentives for PS4 owners (with the exception of token fluff), this is all about milking their customer base for more money.

This is a good point, strange that Sony makes no mention of this as a reason for the upgraded console (at least that I've seen).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  12. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    I doubt this will be for 4k or named 4k, I think it's going to be for VR because 60fps on 4k not possible with this. So I think they will call it something with the VR, but the idea behind it is to be able to do the 90fps needed for VR so people who are more affected by the VR don't throw up after getting sony VR set.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Putting it that way was the first time this new PS4.5 or whatever you want to call it makes sense. To me as a PC gamer :D

Better they go and push for 4K because I guess I'm one of the few people not fancying VR at all.

14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    This is a garbage arse move if this is to be true...

I hope it is and watch their client base fall through the ground. I'd stop purchasing anything to do with the system if it does happen......oh wait....that is right.... I already have since it's a week underpowered POS that has not delivered anything truly of note.

This guy will be spending that hard earned money in the PC realm of things gaming. At least I know I'm getting a bigger bang for my buck going this route.

15. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    While i do prefer gaming on my computer I also do enjoy gaming on my PS4. Bought the PS4 for their exclusives and sport/racing games which IMO are better suited on a console.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    There are a ton of cheap 4k flat screens on the market. Most anyone look for a new tv will consider a 4k one. Sony is just staying ahead with the 4k BD player and performance improvements.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This console will actually serve as higher framerate at 1080p, not 4k. More capable HW, smoother gameplay.

Someone said Uncharted 4 MP was 25-30fps, now it can be 60fps. Thats all i see, 4k is still far away.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's equivalent to an R9 480. We've seen that card run Hitman QHD @ 60fps. Why would it be a stretch that it does 4K @ 30fps? Especially on console games, which have lower graphic quality anyway?

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm okay with it.

The PS4 will be cheaper then. :D

But this isn't the first time this happened. Sony released newer faster versions of the PSP(AFAIK there were no games that required one model PSP), Nintendo has done the same with the DS line up(There were some games that required the DSi, and there are some games that require the New 3DS).

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless they split the market, then the baseline is still the Xbox One/PS4, and the rest just get higher resolutions/framerates. This is basically a console getting the PC treatment. Don't expect games with better assets any time soon.