Question about building PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Surkus, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Surkus

Surkus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 / 4GB
    So, I've decided upon parts, which I'll order in a week or so.

I'd just like anyone who has more experience than me (I have none, its my first build) to look at and say how does my part selection look. Recently read somewhere here on forums, that people who build without certain knowledge make some stupid decisions, therefore their PC's have crap performance bottlenecks, etc., so I thought maybe some "good semeritan", could take a look and say what he or she thinks.

Here it is:
    z170n gaming 5 motherboard (already have it)
    i7 6700k
    Fury X (already have, bought used)
    Silverstone 600w sfx PSU (I'm building in mITX PC)
    2x4 GB of Ram Klevv value ddr4 ram (2133 15-15-15 @ 1.2V whatever theese mean…)
    Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB m.2 SSD (later on i'll add some storage HDD's)
    Tundra TD03-e cpu AIO cooler

Thanks for any thoughts whatsoever :)

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Looks good so far.... Ram those are the Timings on the sticks that you have and the speed they run at.

I am not familar with the Tundra tdo3-e cpu cooler, is that a air-based cooler or water based? Everything else looks to be ok in my book, you have a solid foundation cpu,motherboard,graphics card, Solid state drive,power supply, you did not mention what OS your going to use ie Windows 7,8,10?

I like running Windows 7 on my machine, my kids gaming rig runs 10.

3. Surkus

Surkus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 / 4GB
    Its all-in-one liquid cooler. I know they are usualy louder at idle but I already have Fury x with liquid cooling with all the chirping coils and pump whine so it does not matter (except that is for better under-load temps).

It'll be runing windows 10.

What do you think about 8 GB of ram?

Thanks for your answer :)

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Right gotcha water-cooled-Good choice then! Altough there are some worthy air-coolers worth mentioning we wont get into that now...

8gb Ram by todays standards is like the bare-minimum just to get bye with, I also run 8gb for the time being but I will be going 16gb shortly. You will be just fine with 8 for now but put it on your to-do list 16gb+ future, games are eating-up more and more ram so yeah...
    I must say for a 1st time build you sure nailed-it! My 1st build was beyond tragic haha.

My personal opinion on Windows 10 and I hope I dont get attacked here by other members, When I actually see Dx-12 take-off and can prove theres a performance gain I am sticking with 7, I just do not like the way it looks, feels, responds, maybe I am just use to my 7 but I am not going anywhere for the time being! :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

5. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Get 16gb of ram don't get 8 and say I'll get more later, how much is your value ram costing you?

6. Surkus

Surkus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 / 4GB
    Thanks. I did tons of reading ofcourse. This is just to be sure :)

4 GB module - €18,29
    8 GB module - €34,49

7. Surkus

Surkus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 / 4GB
    I have one more question… a little bit of topic.

Found some pictures to be more clear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the question is, can I set them both to "intake" air into the case?

I've seen some LinusTechTips videos, and he did fans as intake (in exaclty my mini ITX case), for positive air pressure and prevention for dust buildup inside a case. I'm just not so sure about that, because all the hot air will build up inside and heat everything else? so if you have any opinion on this matter that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. There'll be only those two rad fans in my case. None of those bottom fans as seen in pics..

[edit: made pictures smaller]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above I would go with 16GB DDR4,if budget allows then 32GB will be sweet spot,in some cases you will find limiting factor 16GB

Regarding the case and dust build up,what case are you using or you have ?

If I would build something small factor then I would have look on Phanteks Evolv ITX or Thermaltake X9 case those cases have plenty room and should have great airflow

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. Surkus

Surkus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 / 4GB
    I already have ncase m1 v5. It's shown in above pictures, thats why I was asking about how should those two rad fans better be set up: to intake air, or to push it out…? :)

It looks little bit like Phanteks Evolv ITX just more plain looking I guess https://www.ncases.com

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

That case looks great,i would say its awesome small factor case,looks bit more like CaseLabs there

Regarding the radiators,my radiator are pushing air out from case,but still you will need at least one intake fan which will keep VRM etc in good temps,plus good filters can help,I would speak with DEMCIflex about the filters if they can help you or you can make own filters

Turning both as intake and without the exhaust,not sure there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

11. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    that's a pretty small powerful thing you got there :)

if you havent bought it already
    get the i5 6700 and use the difference for 16gb

12. ron7000

ron7000 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G GTX970
    for the RAM, it goes like this:
    check your motherboard specs, ideally from manufacturer website so you get accurate info before you buy, places like newegg although rare have made mistakes and it's not newegg's fault if you buy incompatible hardware.
    your z170n gaming 5 has 2 memory slots, accepts maximum 32GB ram. That means your max is 2 chips of memory each at 16gb. whether you buy 2 chips of 2gb, 2 chips of 4, or 8, or 16 is up to you and how much you want to spend. but realize if you buy 2 chips of "Ram Klevv value" now at 4gb each, and want to upgrade in the future then that Klevv ram is completely wasted because you can't use it on that existing motherboard because you are limited to just 2 memory slots on that motherboard. So like was said, look at memory prices and choose wisely now, maybe consider 2x8gb ram that will future proof things a little bit.

also a good idea, but not required, to verify the ram you buy is on the motherboard manufacturer's memory supported list. If that actual brand is not, as long as the memory timing is on the supported list then you are pretty safe in buying memory that will work.
    The "2133 15-15-15 @ 1.2V" refers to DDR4-2133 which is the memory data rate of 2133 MT/s and has timings of 15-15-15. These timings of 15-15-15 you'll want to verify with motherboard manufacturer, generally smaller numbers there mean faster memory, and values greater than 2133 for data rate such as DDR4-2400 or DDR4-3200 also mean faster memory. but you have to check and make sure those faster memory rates and timings are compatible with your motherboard. Those faster memory chips at DDR4-3200 operate at a higher voltage, such as 1.35 volts.
    Your DDR4 Klev ram running at 2133 @ 1.2 volts is the DDR4 standard, so without looking here i know they will work
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#memory support list

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wouldn't touch DDR4-2133 myself. That is literally akin to running DDR3-1333 on anything after Sandy Bridge. You should definitely opt for 2x8 GB, then get the fastest RAM your budget allows without crossing the 'sweet' point. The sweet point is just the point where the gains of faster RAM is little to none, or the point where the faster RAM becomes considerably more expensive. The sweet point for Skylake is DDR4-3200. Sometimes I think the cheap slow RAM like that is only for people not knowing what they are buying, like people buying those ultra-cheap power supplies. Even if people can't 'afford' to buy anything better, it really isn't justification since that cheap power supply is likely to use more electricity through lower efficiency, as well as the risk of it blowing up 6 months later or damaging other components. Now I'm not saying that the cheap RAM will blow up your computer, just that the extra money spent on better RAM is quite minimal and is more balanced to the rest of your system specs.