Nvidia GP100 GPU architecture recap full GPU has 3840 Shader processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    1080 will be my next upgrade for sure. Will sell my 980's and go for single GPU this time, SLI is too wobbly nowadays.

However I DO HOPE that hybrid cooled GPU's will be available from day 1. :hatty:

3. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    8 months to save up for the pascal titan christmas release ready for all the christmas games i think it could be £1500 this time coz big pascal will sell like hot cakes , and by christmas we should know a bit more about DX12 windows store and if nvidia lock there drivers to geforce experience and if they start to make all new games DX12 will the big pascal be win 10 and dx12 only its gonna be very intresting to see what happens next

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah, that's one seriously beefy GPU right there. The next Titan will likely be amazing, if it's fully unlocked and unleashed with those specs. I really want to upgrade asap, but when seeing such a spec sheet, waiting for the big gun would make more sense. The price will likely be insane, but then again I would only buy 1, since SLI with such a beast would be an over-over-over-kill. :nerd:

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    GP100 Pascal (aka GTX1080) will have 16GB VRAM and it will be HBM2!???

I think not.

6. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    would be better for most user (about 90% with non higher gpu tier) if nvidia focus on technical enginering, driver, engine optmization and outsource production to samsung/sony/lg new gen higher grade gpu for less than 299$ will do social justice good

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nope GP104 as described in the news-item. GP100 will be used for a titan like equivalent.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    there is nothing about this in this article :) it can be the Ti version or whatever...

also we have seen pict of sample with DDR5 (and so DDR5X as pin to pin compatible).

so until they are fully reviewed and in shop... it's just creating the hype (look how AMD get high with Polatis/vega 's hype too... lol)

keep cool and wait

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nvidia releasing a top tier card for 299$? That will only happen if 300$ are what 800$ are currently... like after the next world war, or a true global economic crash, or stuff like that. Times the 90% of users won't worry about GPUs at all, maybe the 10% that can afford their expensive cards already will buy those 299$ cards then, since average income would be around 200$ per month.

How will a change of manufacturers bring social justice? What are you talking about? I'm afraid you're hoping for too much ;)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    GDDR5 packages are not pin compatible GDDR5X.

11. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    Even the number of special function units are enough:

3840 fp32 + 1920 fp64 + 960 sfu = 6720 cores computing at the same time.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ah my bad. I thought these were for 1070 and 1080 specs not TITAN or 1080Ti specs.

Is that really how it works? So can fp64 cores still be used on fp32 calculations?

fp64 is double precision right? and fp32 is single precision...? so what is sfu??

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If the article really holds through, and there will be only ONE way to work with GP100, which is with 16GB HBM2, we won't see much of a Pascal Ti, will we? How would they handle it compared to a Pascal Titan, which is definately coming out? Gimped chips? But with gimped chips, can they still connect 4x4GB HMB2? (970s architectural layout and how their last 0.5 of the 4GB was connected).

Also, I hope they forget about DP in the Pascal Tis, if there will be any. Or is it going to be usefull with dx12 in any way to a gamer?

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Of course, if you have an FP64 register you can natively do FP32 operations on it. It's all about the size that can be worked with.

Let me show you an example. Suppose you have a 16-bit and an 8-bit register.
    So
    0000 0000 0000 0000
    and
    0000 0000

You can easily see how the 16-bit register is twice as large, and can thus easily acommodate for any operation that would otherwise fit on the 8-bit register.

All that remains are the physical computational units to have the necessary instructions (or know-how) in order to do the operations. FP units intended to work with different precisions should have the exact same instructions and hardware except the register size difference. On the lowest level they work the same.

The design of an ALU and FPU is made such that it's the most efficient when working with one type of data. Think of it as a number of steps which need to be executed in order to get a result.
    An ALU for example is general-purpose enough so that it can enter a state called 'compatibility mode' which allows them to work with data that they were not designed for (data intended for the FPU to work with). But some of those steps hard-coded into the ALU will need to be repeated in order to get a valid output, thus you can do the FPU's job but slower.

However I do not know if the FPU can do the ALU's job, but it should be able to. I do not know because I've never tried it and it's a bit harder to find stuff like this on google.
    In fact by what I know the FPU should be able to do the ALU's job without a performance penalty since it's able to calculate the integer part of a floating point just fine. But I could be horribly wrong, don't quote me on it.

Overly simplified but I hope you understand.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I get the feeling that we're being teased with the monster that will really come a year from now, because the stuff they will bring now are not going to be anything exciting.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not like Nvidia is marketing GP100 towards gaming. Everything they said about it was related to HPC and they did say that the Tesla variant won't hit OEM's till Q4, so yeah, basically a year for a consumer one.

It depends on your definition of excitement. It's becoming pretty obvious that both AMD's Polaris 10 and Nvidia's GP104 aren't going to be that much faster then what we have already. Just far more efficient.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They don't have to tease or "officially" market. They have created enough anticipation in enthusiasts that we drool all over it by ourselves, thank you. This is marketing 101 (literally it is, I have been taught this in a university course :p ).

As for the new cards, if they are at 8GB minimum and they have more efficient chips with the same amount of shaders at crazy frequencies, I'm ok with that. An 8GB super-tweaked Fiji @1.6GHz is seriously fine with me, and I would upgrade.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not as CPU that you change but like an USB to old iPhone plug for those who don't know it is really easy).

most GDDR5 controler work as is with GDDR5X (256bit vs 512bit, and the voltage are lower on the X)

19. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I'm wondering about a name for the new Titan.

We already had Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z, Titan X.. What's next? Titan Y? Titan 4k? (Would be funny if they really sticked with naming GP104 - 1080) Titan XXL? Titan King?

20. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    300W fail... unless watercooled.