DOOM Open Beta April 15th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Flacid Monkey

Flacid Monkey Guest

GPU:
    980GTX
    I think you might be disappointed with this game then if multiplayer is anything to go by.
    No in-game weapon drops, you loadout your class before the round aka COD.
    The longer you play, the better perks you earn so you can start with more weapons and/or armour.

This is not the doom the classic players wanted. It's tailored for the modern gamer

**WE WANT PISTOL AND FIST TO START EVERY ROUND AND TAKE OUT THAT F***ING ROCKET LAUNCHING SKELETON!**

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I don't think you've played any of the original Doom games or the new beta judging by what you've just written.

3. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    this is something i HAVE to comment to hahaha if you support dlc before a game even comes out.. you are a moron ! tbh for me doom has already failed im a BIG fan of arena's like these but if i see what kind of tour they be going on with doom i can only say guys ... SUPPORT UNREAL TOURNAMENT ALPHA ! and guess what ! no paying for random usuless crap awesome gameplay on a new engine ! FREE people ! get on it and support something GREAT !

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Has always been active, sure was very active 15 years ago
    [​IMG]

5. jhobc

jhobc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC+
    Coool!

6. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
  7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sounds like fun. It's what expect from this game:

No depth, just a mad roflstomp rush.

That can be fun to from time to time.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I played the beta and I can't recommend this game.

There's no momentum, like in Quake series, where you had to consciously maintain your speed and direction. Weapon balance is meh. They may change it, but lightning gun makes other weapons look weak. 100+ lag for everybody except the host looks bad, at least for PC players. You can feel that the game has no raw mouse input. The graphics is kinda ok, but nowhere close to what we've seen on SP demos. The game itself hasn't crashed even once for me, so it's good. But having a huge "may run bad on nv cards" screen is unprofessional. On top of that, the sounds were garbled, like playing too fast. Effectively I had Doom: chipmunk edition. Perhaps it's not a terrible game, but why would you play it?

And that's exactly my greatest problem with Doom - I can't say that the multiplayer aspect of this game is better than in Quake 3 Arena (especially with Promod), and it's nowhere close to UT 2003/2004. If you want to play such twitch games, I'd stay with the classics or try the upcoming Unreal Tournament.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It needs more visual confirmation of whether someone is going to die or not when shooting them.

Too often I would stop firing because I figured they would be dead and my eyes were scanning the screen for other targets.

The reverse also happens, where I am still firing (miliseconds) and the target is dead - and I should have been scanning the screen for other targets instead of the 'double-tap rule' from Zombieland, where you should finish the job to be sure.

So many other issues I have - like just WTF are the power-ups for? as the trailer seemed to be pretty clear and concise as to whether something was ammo or health, yet the beta appears to have objects which could very easily misinterpreted as part of the scenery or a trash can, or something.

What are they?

10. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    But that's not DOOM is it? Running around non-stop like a headless chicken! I can't remember DOOM gameplay being that bad?

I think this sums it up on Steam:

Positive (4,138) Negative (7,105)

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    People are disappointed, its not a Doom we remember.

I think all this will reflect to a singleplayer as well.

12. guskline

guskline Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 FE EK block
    Back to COD BO3, Doom beta was ugh!

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Did I forget about something?

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You could be right. I was not overly impressed with this beta.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Beta extended - Y'all can play today also!

I personally didnt play the OBT since I've already tried the CBT. For me Doom isnt multiplayer, sure it was back in the days with Doom2 but that was very different. We didn't buy Doom 3 for MP right? Will be the same thing this time, for me at least.

I'm sure idSoftware will do a much better job with MP when they announce Quake 5 (which they will at some point).

I think this is a "test" by id and I think they can get away with bad MP since it's Doom and not Quake. I'm hope that they see our reactions and will go back to basics next time. Old School is what we want (worked well for Wolfenstein right?).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016