Dont install nvidia driver 364.47 its breaking pc's - destructoid

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I just installed over 362.00, custom install, no clean install (deliberately since I wanted to try something) = :thumbup:

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Look, don't want to offend you but... I'm gaming since early 80s, using PC and gaming on it since early 90s (year or two after you were born), building with my own hands gaming PC's for more than 20 years and I saw and tried lots of things in my carieer closely related to PC hardware. Sure for all these years there were ups and downs for every single PC hw manufacturer out there and I can understan that, but this nonsense with prematurely released, full of bugs, unstable and what not drivers from NVidia's side (AMD too) lasts for two years now iirc and it's getting even worst in past 6 months or so, both for SLI or single GPU users.

About that bolded text of yours above... I understand what you're saying but here are the facts from my side: I have more than few gaming and HTPC's at home (those with NVidia cards are paired with 760, 970, 640 and 660 cards), some are running Win7 SP1 x64 while other are with Win8.1 x64, by my own hands all of them are maintained and tuned to perfection, talking about OS and software I'm using, everything inside those rigs is obsessively cooled from my side, every single rig is powered by it's own Smart UPS, I'm running those for years, I know how they breathe... NEVER had any BSOD or any majoy problem with those rigs before R353 and R358 branches of NVidia drivers. Few minor problems I had were mostly related with unpolished games soon after their release, after few updates for those games everything is back to normal. Sometimes problems were not game but driver related, minor glitches but never BSOD's: in mosts cases next updated driver from NVidia was the solution for the problem with some particular game. Also just to add that I'm (to be precise: I was) the one who like to have the latest drivers installed...

With almost all R353 and R358 drivers there were not just one or two BSOD's per week: there were more than few BSOD's per day (with OC or on stock speeds for CPU, GPU... doesn't matter) while gaming, while surfing the web or simply while not doing anything ffs!!! lol, my kids were even scared to death after few BSOD's they saw for the first time in their lives while using their gaming PC's or HTPC's, my younger kid even asked me: "...dad, I've googled about what BSOD is, does this mean my PC is gonna die now?..." :)

But... Same rigs, same software, same games, same everything but this time with Developer drivers from R355 Dev branch: 355.83, 355.84 and 356.04 ...and everything is working as it should, no BSOD's anywhere, games are running butter smooth, it's a pure joy to use those rigs with these drivers. If I make a change (with or without DDU) to some other driver from branches before or after the R355 Dev: God, take me, I don't wan to suffer anymore...

On all of my rigs with NVidia cards I've reverted to R355 356.04 Dev drivers since October or it was early November 2015 and not a single BSOD or anything since then. You're free to draw a conclusion on your own about this...

After my decision to stick with 356.04 Dev drivers for a while I'm just reading posts here at G3D forum and all over the web about other users experiences with NVidia (and AMD too) drivers released in past few month, posts from experienced users and sadly things aren't looking good.

So... As far as I'm concerned neither NVidia or AMD have valid excuses to release such a messed up drivers for so many months. I'm not talking just about one or two drivers in past few weeks, they're releasing few fu**ed up drivers in a row!

The only bright side of the story is on the AMD side, optimisations they did for CGN based cards in past year or so really impresses me: my old MSI GTX 780 Lightning was eating alive 290/290X cards backthen when all of them were at the top of the food chain. In latest games with current drivers from both sides even 780Ti get's kicked hard by 290, hell even 2nd generation of Maxwell cards like 970 gets obliterated by 290 in latest games and 980 is struggling with 290x, card released almost 2.5 years ago. WTF is going on NVidia?!

So don't tell me everything is fine with NVidia drivers, it's not NVidia's fault and PEBKAC is the real problem cause it's not. NVidia needs to polish the drivers and we need it fast, it's taking too long now, no more excuses...

3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    The last few BSODs I got on Win7 over the last few months were Bccode D1.Would run Monster Hunter Online Bench trying different clocks on the gpus and if they were too high, as in 1215mhz or above, I'd get that error.I used to have my gpu fans at 100% all the time, didn't think it was an issue and on a modded vbios.

But that all changed in the space of a few weeks ago when I thought I fried my 2nd gpu..it's ok now.But since then I've gone back to factory vbios, adjusting clocks -39mhz on gpu0 and -13mhz on gpu1 = 1202mhz, mem default, fan speed default auto, pwr limit max 145%..it passed the bench mark over and over until I tried to enable a custom fan profile.Was not looking at digits just going off of how much hot air was coming from the chassis I thought I'd try it.

Crash midway with Bccode D1 everytime I enabled fan control.Left GpuZ running in the back, put the fan control back to auto, gpu0 reached 76°, gpu1 got to 74° and no throttling occurred.Now this is the reason i modded the bios in the first place, because of the temp throttle at 70°.It seems like it's a combination of maybe windows updates, driver updates, mobo bios updates, ime updates, or just the fan speed %, in between the time I got the cards and now, they are acting the way they were meant to.

Did the upgrade to Win 10 Pro X64 on Sunday, installed and cleaned out 3 different drivers so far, MHO Bench, RE6 bench, Heaven 4.0, Valley 1.0 and GTA V with 4086mb used in the graphic options for that game, capped at 60fps and it's been great.No issues, no BSODs...and I'm officially in love with Win10. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. dave343

dave343 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 4GB
    I'm pretty sure I installed the 362.00 drivers last night, but maybe it did an update because my system completely crashed. Windows Areo in 10 or whatever it's called now crashed first, then the screen hard locked. I had to hard power cycle it. Windows did come back up ok, but now I'm curious to see if the newer drivers updated automatically...

5. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    The main problem is that a lot of people have pretty old cards and they're already not as pristine as they could be, then they install a driver that can cause BSOD's and that's the last nail in the coffin, the card bites the dust.

Something has to be seriously wrong with a driver for it to cause real damage, like force your card to overclock to 5x it's normal clocks and set the fan to 0%.

I'm using the .47's atm and everything is fine, no BSOD or anything, they actually made my frame drops on bo3 stop which is nice.

6. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    Ow mai fuzzing cod, that made me laugh an load .. great imagination, thanks from my underworked diaphragm!! :wanker:

7. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    i have the 364.51 and cod ghosts,tomb raider 2013,alien isolation etc no probs

8. TheDeuceMagnum

TheDeuceMagnum Guest

GPU:
    MSI 960 4G
    Thanks. May update.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

Yeah, sound logic pal. :bonk:
    Lesser AMD card does better than overpriced NV card. Obviously the drivers have take an sudden crapper and NV is sabotaging them:deadhorse:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  10. I don't get how the conspiracy theorists are willing to consider the possibility of Nvidia downgrading their perfomance intentionally prior to understanding how the mere passage of time may take a toll on their system. It's highly illogical to think that they're touching anything related to older GPUs in the first place.

11. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Yeah no clue.. my son updated his drivers to these *47 in windows 10 NV980 rebooted got his 1st blue screen. Had to do a restore. Everyones system is different..

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Faced no issues so far with any 364.xx release, I'm using a G-sync monitor and a 4K HDTV at the same time.

13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hmmm, no problems with newer drivers here, but I'm also Win7 64 to. Dunno but no driver prob's here.

14. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    It may be a coincidence (it must be, but let's remember that some older drivers from nVidia caused GPU's to burn because of the fans which weren't spinning anymore) but after installing these latest drivers I cannot keep my previous OC, every game just freezes after a while. Only by applying stock frequencies I am able to play, but I am not even 100% sure if the system will hang after a longer time... So, this is my experience. I just overvolted once to benchmark at 1.5GHz, after that i went back to 1476 without OV.

15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    For God's sake people, please, let this thread R.I.P.

These are NOT the latest drivers and you won't find them anymore at Nvidia site.

Stop "spamming" here.

16. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Pascal isn't here as yet so calm down guys...

Nvidia isn't going to push you into buying new gpu's as yet

17. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    This is amd hoax i used these drivers no crashes all work properly.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    364.47 had a known installer bug due to which they were revoked. The driver itself was working properly when the installer worked properly. No drivers after 364.47 has this bug anymore so I don't know what's Pascal or any new card has to do with it.