Tick Tock Tock Says Intel Now As Well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The familiar "Tick-Tock" is a model used by chip manufacturer Intel Corporation start started in 2007 to follow every micro-architectural change with a die shrink of the process technology...

Tick Tock Tock Says Intel Now As Well

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It was about time. 10nm will come at around 2018, two years after than expected. 7nm will be even harder, and 5nm is considered almost impossible with current materials/physics. Speed upgrades have slowed down very much the last 5 years, and they will keep doing so even more, until we have a paradigm shift.

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    tl;dr version

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Been on the cards really hasn't it.

Not surprising at all since they've been having nothing but trouble reducing transistor size now.

But what can we expect from canonlake now? It was mean't to be the die shrink of Skylake, which if it still is that means basically we get 3 versions of skylake what with Kabylake coming this year.

Skylake>Kabylake>Canonlake all basically the same arch!? Or will Canonlake now be a whole new arch on the new process?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah same arch. The next architecture will be Icelake.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Still looks like my next CPU upgrade won't be til at least Canonlake or Icelake then.

10nm here we come!!! :D

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I wonder when they'll figure out how to put multiple layers into CPUs. This should allow huge performance increase without decreasing fab node.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You'll wait at least a couple of years for that :D

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think there's a mistake in this article if I'm understanding correctly. The article says right at the beginning: "Based on Moore's Law this been proven to become more and more difficult, it's becoming Tick-Tick-Tock". I think it's actually supposed to be Tick-Tock-Tock instead, because a Tick is a die shrink & its becoming harder to die shrink. I sat in front of the computer screen trying to work out why I wasn't understanding the article, it was that incorrect statement at the start of the article that threw off my understanding! The table at the end of the article supports the fact that it's becoming Tick-Tock-Tock, not the Tick-Tick-Tock written in this article. (Just now noticed that title of article is correct though).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    now that will be expensive

11. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    The main problem with that is heat dissipation from the 'buried' components. You would need some sort of active in-die cooling system or a different breed of switch.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I know my next upgrade will not be until 2020-2021 with one of the E based CPUs. Hopefully my CPU will last that long.

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Looks like I'll be fine awhile longer. My wallet is happy at least...

14. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    Maybe double layer possible with 2 coolers on both sides of mainboard. Then case would look more symmetrical. Wherever you open, you see a cpu. Mainboard needs to be thicker with a folding style opening for maintenance. This also gives more space for more ram slots and other things and needs more hardware components but this would be an enthusiast hardware.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yeah, was thinking the same somehow

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    TigerLake it is then.. Was planing on CannonLake but seeing that chart made me pass.

I think at 2019 its enogh for this i7 Haswell. 3yrs is not a long wait, should be 6yrs old then,:nerd: I already have it since its rls back in June 2013.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wasnt this chart show a few months ago? I kind curious when the "2016 optimize" chips are gona be released. mostly cause i still havent made my new build

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah with me I'm going to wait it out until 2020-2021.

19. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    That would probably require significant socket redesigns. First thing that comes to mind would be the processor to be inserted upright into some kind of plate protruding from the mainboard. The processor itself having the die on both sides.
    That would be terrible for reliability though, a falling heatsink would mean a snapped socket.

The easier thing would be bigger dies, but as we all know - bigger dies are more expensive to manufacture.

Or the even easier thing would be to ditch that faking IGP, it's way too big. Honestly, they could at least make the K versions with a primitive IGP - primitive enough to offer usable video outputs.

20. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    why some people like me actually want the igp for quicksync purposes. what they could do is offer 2 versions one with igp and 1 without.