The Downclock-o-rama

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Romulus_ut3, Mar 11, 2016.

1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Basically any non-boost bios with higher tdp enabled should theorethically do the trick.

2. dmatthewstewart

dmatthewstewart Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290X Lightnings
    You really dont need to flash the bios. There is an easier, more reliable method and its easily done through Afterburner. I had that card as well as the r9 290 Vapor-X and I wouldnt be reflashing a bios on a card that isnt an extra/experimental card.

Problem with putting a non-boost bios with a higher tdp is that its not guaranteed to be the correct power. You can quickly determine the proper power for your card and lock your clocks all within Afterburner. You can also set separate 2d and 3d profiles; that is whats going to lock your clocks and give you the correct power when 3d applications are started or focused. Reflashing your bios is only a good plan if youre trying to OC the card and beat someones score. A lot of people do it with no repercussions. And almost everyone will tell you it works perfectly until it causes a problem.

While this thread is a little older most of it is applicable to your card. I know this guy, Ive bought cards from him, and Ive seen him correct so-called "pros" and AMD reps on their own misunderstandings. If you follow and apply everything that is applicable in this thread you'll be in much better shape

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_30

Im sorry to send a user offsite but its the only thread that I have seen that covers all of the proper settings for any AMD card. Its too bad that Crimson doesnt allow uss the same versatility. Its also why I wont go into Crimson until I absolutely have no choice. This is how both of my rigs are configured. Both have AMD cards. One rig has the MSI Boost Edition 7950 the other rig has CF 290x Lightings.

Before doing this you should also know what your best OC is. In other words, even if youre not going to push the card to the max, you need to know what your proper voltages, core clocks, mem freq, etc should be. If your clocks are dropping under load then try just adjusting Power Limit first to 10. Run a test again. Im sure I dont need to explain the whole process.

The best part about following this setup is that you will know your card better than you could believe. And you'll have total confidence in the operating ability of the card. A non-boost bios that wasnt made for that card will always make you wonder if its working properly.

-DMS

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    290X Lightning CFX here, AB is the way to go to fix AMD power saving crazyness.

My GPUs clocks are LOCKED with AB and i can change setttings, monitor GPU values or try different profiles for 2D or 3D.

Bios flash is not enough flexible for me.

Overdrive is something we should never touch or open, it's a performance black hole.

:D

4. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Seeing the same pattern as OP of fps dips on my 7850 with 16.3

Clockblocker, RadeonMod-Crimson-power-tweak, not helping at all.

Mmm maybe will try rolling back to 16.2.1 and test ....

EDIT: ooops, my bad, forgot to select the JapaMD method, ok on 16.3 it DOES fix it it seems. Don't even need crimson-power-tweak.

Never dips now with Clockblocker running. Good find OP.

AMD... :bang:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

5. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Yep, about the same here, gotta get mine up to around 13-15% and bingo.

6. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    An HD 7850 shouldn't require PowerTune adjustments at a lowly clock of 1000 MHz.

7. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Yeah, i wasn't even going to try this at first i figured this can't affect my 7850. Mine has really simple power states compared to other models. Not really sure how much this will be in actual real gaming since i haven't done much lately.

Funny thing is, on my card i have my bios modded with higher TDP anyway, and basically disabled UVD to just jump to max 3d clocks when it wants to use those in-between clocks. At the time it solved some weird issue with clocks not going to 3d when listening to video + gaming at the same time.

Oh well that's AMD always a science project. :banana:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  8. Wolfehunter

Wolfehunter Guest

Yup my card was down clocked by 50%. New driver put core clock at 500 Mhz and memory clock at 625 for my R9 290x. I was wondering why my games where running so bad. Why is amd ****ing up the cards? I restored the values and now things are running as it should via MSI afterburner. Sheesh amd.. WTF man?

9. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Are you running at stock? If so, were you able to solve this issue by setting a higher Powertune target? I believe this is a serious issue that should be addressed by AMD.

10. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    By request of OP in a different thread:

186 fps constant through 260 seconds, no clock fluctuations, no fps drops...

used your exact settings including 2000 ram.

i have a 290 pro vapor-x oc stock (1030/1400)...

11. Wolfehunter

Wolfehunter Guest

I was running on Factory settings which is not OC. I don't OC hardware. Somehow driver 16.3 driver downclocked core clock and memory clock. I've restored the original values. I don't know why AMD thinks it need to worry about how I use my power at my own home? I think they should focus on fixing the driver so it works for games.. Let us worry how we spend on power.

12. Cy4n1d3

Cy4n1d3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 TF3
    I've been encountering some kind of downclocking problem as well.
    Updated to 16.3.1 Hotfix just days ago and afterwards had enormous problems while playing CS:GO or even WoW. Didn't notice anything in Overwatch though.

My card is the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr OC (non-boost) and I've not encountered such problems before.
    I didn't try ClockBlocker yet but for now it seems that setting power target +20% and overclocking as usual with Afterburner does the trick (fingers crossed).

13. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Could you take the test in the OP and submit your results?

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Thats because it only affects boost cards, or cards with boost BIOS's.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im using the boost bios on my card and never had a downlock of any kind.

Also, my card is Vbe7 bios modded and overclocked.