The Windows 10 push update?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by The Laughing Ma, Mar 4, 2016.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Remember around a month or so ago the big news article about Windows changing the Windows 10 update from an optional to a recommended update meaning that anyone who had updates set to just download and install would be downloading and potentially installing Windows 10 before they realised what they were doing?

Anyway like quite a few I set my update to do nothing without me saying so first, the thing is does anyone know which MS update actually has the Win 10 stuff in it? Looking at the update files you click a link to bring up some info about it and then in that info it asks you to go to another site to get even more details... almost like MS is trying to hide what their updates do.

So yeah anyone able to shed some light on this?

PS on Win 8.1 really do not want to install Win 10.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont know the exact KB# but you will know when you look at the size of it, if says GB's it proably win 10 file

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There's way more than 1 update for 8.1 that tries to install 10

These are the updates so far, that add telemetry, and try to install 10 (Along with one for WLMail that broke mail for me)

[​IMG]

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    pretty sure the window 10 push will say windows 10 in windows update and show gb's to be download,

My dad pc is still on win 7 and I installed all updates put to it after being notified , and none of pushed it to win 10 so windows 10 is still not being pushed as recommended/critical update. then i again i also have the win10 task bar icon that pops up on boot disabled too.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think it downloads it behind the scenes, but could be wrong (Haven't had the pleasure on here because I killed it dead first)

From what I've heard of people getting the update, they only notice when they find the 2-3GB $Windows.~BT folder on C:\

But MS are renaming the same update, and pushing it out as another KB, that starts the download again

In that screenshot, you can see I've had to hide the same update twice a couple of times

If you search those updates KBs, a lot of them are for upgrading 7 and 8.x to 10 / installing the Get 10 app etc

The rest for telemetry

And after all of that, like your Dads machine, some are refusing to upgrade at all lol

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IF the upgrade to win 10 task AKA the upgrade to win 10 nag in the taskmenu is enabled and running then yes it will download in the backgroud if you disable the task it wont. and it can only come threw windows update if you accept it.

i have that task disabled on 3 windows 7 system, that same task can be disable on win8 in the same way, GWX it called that is what downloads it in back ground if all tasks in regards to that is disabled ( dont delete the task it will just renabled that IF it lets you delete it) it wont get download in background on win7 atlest i not seen it happen, cant vouch win 8 as i wont use that os let a lone touch it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Simple solution to prevent Win10 from installing.... If you have 2 harddrives, create an EFI partition on the second drive. The Windows installer will crash if it sees 2 EFI partitions... I have Win8.1 and Ubuntu installed. The Ubuntu install is preventing Win10 from installing....lol

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No a simple solution would be a button on the upgrade nag that when you click it makes it go away and stay away, that's it, it doesn't continue to nag you, the systems doesn't download files in the back ground in prep and it certainly doesn't force it on you as a hidden update.

MS offered this update as a free update, my opinion of the company should be at the highest it has been for years as a result of this however as a direct result of MS's shady underhanded tactics; the concealment of what amounts to spyware, the integration of so much nagware in W10, the way they just won't take a NO as a NO, on top of the whole non sense with them trying to gate the PC market in to their APP store, my opinion of MS is lower than it has ever been .

The problem is just how far is MS willing to go to get this OS on people's machines.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Like i said Disable all tasks that point to GWX, the GWX notification icon wont pop up cause it not running and it wont download it in background iether

This work on win 7 there is no reason i should not work on win 8 either.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Here....this also prevents Windows 10 from installing without the user initiating the "upgrade" intentionally...

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
    "DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    "AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
    "ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I remember that I`ve already created two of these dword values. I decided to create new ones - went to the registry and to my surprise I did not find old two ones - it seems new KBs deleted all restrictive registry values.
    As Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody says - Constant vigilance!

12. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Its a bit sneaky, i was lucky but my sister, who just updated recommended updates...ended up with Win10 from 7 :/.

It shouldn't be a recommended update, it should be a optional update.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've got Win10 running on all of my systems now. Still not a fan of it though.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got it running on enough devices to have to use it each day, and to know I still don't want it on this machine

15. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    How do I prevent Windows 10 from installing on a computer running Windows 7?

16. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Download and install GWX Control Panel from here http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Make sure you enable Monitor Mode

[​IMG]

17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    It's not being pushed through windows update anymore.You have to download or upgrade through MS Get Win10 application, i.e. it's all manual now.
    Get Windows 10

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Since I don't really "game" anymore, the OS is of little consequence. I'll run Win10 until Ubuntu 16.04 LTS drops and then I'll likely transition this system to Ubuntu only. Canonical has reportedly removed all of the spyware from 16.04 LTS. The only downside is reduced support for AMD graphics drivers. Canonical had made installing NVidia drivers much easier with 15.04 so unless they change that, I won't have any issues with my 970. Only thing I'll lose is my SB-Z but I have ALC1150 to fall back on.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have Win 7 on my GFS pc and my HTPC.
    Only machines not on Win 10 in my house.

I have updates turned completely off on both Win7 machines after doing everything to get SP1 installed.

Never have had a pop up for upgrade to Win 10.

I personally like Win 10 for the most part.
    Gaming wise its fantastic experience for me. Which is what I do 99% of the time on this machine.

20. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Having literally just tried quite a few distros this week, I can't find any reason to use Linux over Windows 10, other than having a really old PC and using Lubuntu.

It's like going back in time. But it's what Linux always ends up being, a potentially good OS which always feels half-done. It's like using a preview version of Windows. Still giving a chance to Kubuntu in dual-boot, but I find myself back to Windows everytime.

Open Source AMD drivers work fine though. It's not like anyone in their right mind will game on Linux.

And screw terminal installs and configs. It's 2016.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016