ASUS PG279Q ROG or not...

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Daffii, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Daffii

Daffii Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970
    So over a year ago I went searching for a new monitor after I had built myself a PC. There was a few on my list and I happen to come across the LG 24GM77-B, which was on my list, on a site, which had it on sale - 200 euros. I impulsed bought and was giddy at a damn good price.

Few months down the line i began to regret as I want to upgrade not least to 1440p.

I find myself staring at the Asus PG279Q, waiting to for someone or something to press the golden button and get it.

Lets be honest it's a steep price, I think the one thing holding me back is spending that kind of money and not really being future proof what with 4k close on the horizon. After all isn't a monitor for the long term? I mean my last monitor was a Dell SW2209 which only inputs VGA.

I find myself facing a few options;

1. Get it, bask in all it's glory and use my LG as a second monitor.

2. Keep the LG, sulk and play the 1080 - couple years down the line evaluate and spend. This will rule out SLI my 970's :(

3. Go for a cheaper 1440p model - couple of years down the line evaluate maybe spend

4. Go for a decent 4k model and play on lesser settings - not an ideal scenario, hardware, developers etc..

I mean I have already recently purchased a monitor I don't want to be in the same situation a year and a half down the line.

I have also read Asus have production issues and the PG279Q is known for defects; blurry corners and such. anybody experience such issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My first post, awesome site!

Thanks in advance

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Go for it. I have the previous model and its fantastic. Even with the new cards out soon, you aren't really going to get great 4K performance. 1440p at 144hz still has my 980ti struggling in some games at max settings.
    At 4K you will need to drop the image quality down way too low.

3. ModestWisdom

ModestWisdom Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970
    This is a tricky question, if you want a short answer - most likely yes; you should get it.

Now if you want a more detailed response... I personally haven't had any issues at all with 279Q, apart from a bit of "backlight bleed". However - honestly speaking this isn't an issue, at all! No dead pixels, etc.

Does it cost a lot? Yes it costs a ton! But everything is going to feel just amazing, I cannot find any flaws with this monitor, it looks and "feels" great. If you're hesitating about the potential upgrades in the future - you shouldn't worry about this too much. You're probably asking yourself why at this point. Well... If you think about it - you can always sell your monitor, yes you're not going to get all of your money back, but you might be able to get 60-70% and use it towards the 4K monitor.

Speaking of 4K monitors - none of the current graphics cards are capable of handling 4K, if you want to SLI you could, but I dislike having multiple graphics cards a lot, I'd rather just have a single one. New Pascal is on the horizon and some of these beasts may be able to deal with 4K, although don't expect anything much above 60Hz.

Look - monitors are currently far ahead of the graphics cards. Even if you get yourself a 4K monitor capable of +100Hz no kind of graphics card will be able to handle it. In ~2-3 years maybe you'll be able to game on 4K, although I doubt it. It will take 3 years at least in my opinion.

1440p is currently the sweet spot and 279Q will definitely last you 2 years, it will be "the best option", although that being said - I can see it being extremely popular for the next few years.

TL;DR - buy it, sell it later for 60-70% of the price paid (if you want to upgrade).