Multi GPU, where is Core#2 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ShasODerpy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ShasODerpy

ShasODerpy Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    Hey guys!,

I have a problem with my Multi-GPU having only 1 "core" detected.

I was playing around with Catalyst's application profiles to try and fix some issues I've had while gaming. Usually creating a new profile with Crossfire disabled fixes any such problems.
    However this time the new profile I created lacked the Crossfire tab entirely!
    I checked some of the existing profiles, and though these still had their Crossfire tabs, I could not alter their settings (Drop-down menu's with no options)

My basic specs..:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    Intel i7 2600k
    Win7 64-bit,

MSI-Afterburner, detects only 1 core, GPU-2 not displayed at all.
    GPU-Z. also detecting only 1 core, aswell as mentioning Crossfire is disabled.
    [​IMG]

I did recently update drivers, so figured that might be where it started.
    clean un-installed Catalyst 15.7.1, then re-installed 14.12. Unfortunatly, no change.

Any idea's/suggestions?

-Derp

2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    does the device manager show both cards running with no issues?
    try disabling and reenabling one of them and the other one afterwards.

for the 6990 you have to utilize an external cfx bridge. you do that right?
    can you recheck if thats connected properly?
    also maybe check if the cards are in their sockets properly...

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    6990's are a 2 on-1 gpu, no crossfire cable needed.

Did you enable crossfire in CCC, OP?

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

yes it is:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Crossfire-Chart.aspx

and he already said he doesnt have the crossfire tab in CCC, if you had read his post.

EDIT: oh in understand he doesnt crossfire 2x 6990... then ofc no connector... between ONE card ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

5. ShasODerpy

ShasODerpy Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    Thanks for the replies!

@ vase,
    the 6990 is a dual-gpu (or 2 on a single card).
    I was told it doesn't require a crossfire cable between itself, but other then that should function pretty much the same as 2 seperate cards in crossfire.
    Atleast, it has done so for most of it's 4/5 year lifespan. :)

Device manager shows only 1 "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" under Display adapters.
    I do remember it always showing 2 before though...
    I have not yet attempted disabling/enabling it through there. Would this not be bad to attempt, since it's the active GPU?

@CalculuS,
    I dont recall ever seeing an option to enable/disable Crossfire entirely before..., I always did so through the application profiles (wich ofcourse, is now impossible)
    I googled to where the option is supposed to be, but it doesn't seem to be there.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    I was suggested to downgrade drivers even lower.
    Cleaned with DDU again, then installed Catalyst 12.1, one of the earliest drivers I could find past the 6990's release. Unfortunatly, still no change.

Could it simply be that one of the GPU cores is dead?

-Derp

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yup, sorry the disable/enable method was only meant for 2 cards. i had to do this with mine at some point to make cf work.

but what you could try out still is to go into your bios and check all the PCIe settings, like if your slot is set to 16x etc...
    i mean i know if you didnt change anything beforehand in the BIOS then most probably it wont solve it. but still you could check what options you have..

7. ShasODerpy

ShasODerpy Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    Looked around in the bios, but was unable to find any significant PCIe settings. Nothing beyond the ability to raise iGPU priority atleast.

The GPU has been running rather hot lately (50c Idle, olmost reaching 100c under load), so I decided now is as good a time as any to clean the thing.

I'm not at all familiar with safe GPU temps, was I being careless letting it run that hot?

It was easy enough dissasembling using a guide, and turned out it was quite dusty. Also seemed like the default thermal "cloths" had long since dried out.
    Tried my best cleaning away most of the solidified gunk, then reseated with some thermal paste/gel.
    Afterwards ran a basic load-test, and had some spooky screeching/squeeling for awhile, but that lasted for only a minute or so.
    Temps now don't seem to exceed 80c under load. (is that o.k.?)

Anyways.. the main point of my little cleaning spree was to check for any obvious damage on the chip.
    After de-dusting, it looked otherwise clean though. (Waay out of my knowledge zone though, so beyond black burning marks I have no idea what I should consider as "damaged")

-Derp

8. ShasODerpy

ShasODerpy Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    More testing... this time swapping from PCIe slot 1 to 2, just in case...

Re-arranged the interior a bit to make room on PCIe slot 2 (6990 is BIG, so that took more time then I'd hoped).
    booted PC in new configuration, but drivers weren't detected (is that normal after a PCIe slot swap?) cleaned with DDU, and reinstalled...

Unfortunatly, still nothing. Only 1 device is found, GPU-Z says Xfire is disabled etc.etc.

New development. Sharing screen through HDMI to a nearby television ends in a corrupted screen (on the tv only)
    pretty much exactly like this http://i.imgur.com/ZWt3Ll6.jpg
    I was OK with hanging on to the GPU for a little while more aslong as the only thing affected was it's Crossfire capability. This changes that though.

I've run out of idea's, and am about to give up trying. Any idea's and/or suggestions are still very much welcome though!

Even if it was still plenty powerfull for my needs, I guess olmost 5 years isn't a bad run-time. Perhaps it's time to look at a new GPU... might aswell upgrade to a better CPU... and motherboard... :grin:

-Derp

9. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    You said you removed the thermal pads (the cloths you mention) and replaced with paste/gel!?

That might be your problem right there if that's the case, these pads are there to fill in large gaps where paste or gel isn't enough to bridge the gap... so without these pads the heatsink might not be making good contact on the components below and now they're liable to overheat or burn out!

You can find small sheets of these pads on ebay quite cheaply in various thicknesses if it's not too late! or reuse the old pads if you still have them to see if that brings it back to life...

10. ShasODerpy

ShasODerpy Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6990
    Hey there!

Unfortunatly, my issues started before I opened and removed/replaced the pads with gel.

Just in case, I've re-opened the GPU to check for good contact between the core to heatsink and memory to casing, and it does seem like the thermal gel is contacting properly.
    Also, when checking temperatures, both idle and under load, they're atleast 20c lower then before (with the dried-out pads).

I'm tempted to try out a new set of thermal pads, but under the circumstances I do not think this to be the cause of my issue (do tell if I'm dead-wrong here!)

-Derp