AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Mar 9, 2016.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's called downclocking because the GPU core and mem clocks are...lowered AKA downclocked.

:)

Yes CPU has power states but in the OS you can set the min and max % of CPU power state (clock multiplier):

[​IMG]

Before Crimson (15.11.1) the GPU driver power saving policy in 3D (while gaming) was not so aggressive and GPU clocks remained at bios 3D clocks favoring performance.

Since Crimson a more aggressive power saving policy was enforced (mandatory), there was no user option to revert to previous behavior who favored performance and GPU core and mem downclocked even at 3D mode.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    In my case 5K perf in older games plummets to 29 fps due the second GPU clocks stays arroud 500 mhz, where as it's 60 with max clocks (v-sync + 60 hz)

3. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Clearly crossfire still has issues.

4. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    And most of them are "nvidia gameworks" titles...

5. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Dude, Truly Sorry for being so short with you... I am just frustrated with this whole power save/green business...

I just don't understand why AMD are having such a problem with this... The reg edit completely removes this downclocking issue by allowing the card to downclock to its set 2D clocks, but will ramp up to it's max clock speed upon 3D demand, regardless of how low that 3D demand is... If it's 3D then it gets full power, period...

AMD could simply incorporate this reg edit into their switch code (power save on/off switch) & problem solved, but for some unknown reason, they choose to dick about with half arsed attempts...

This is my real problem bro...

No disrespect intended toward you bro...

Peace... :cheers:

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    np.

it seems they dont want to just "disable all the things"

why?

who knows, but im sure they have their reasons.

7. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    I'm also getting tired "fighting" al these elementary things for just running a game right.
    Not been able to get full perf., now no CF-profile control at all :bang::bang: and forcing V-sync where I want (at least in dx9 or lower)..
    Half of my games are dx9-games, and I still get 500 mhz as a clockspeed, even clockblocker can clear all off those btw.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Welcome to the club.

AMD is fully dedicated to power save at any cost since Crimson even when a power toggle to disable it is activated (set to off).

:3eyes:

The only complete solution for this "power saving crazyness" (specially for CFX users) is still RadeonMod or AB/ClockBlocker alternatives.

9. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    What does the Power Efficiency do exactly? While it is off, it still downclocks the core clock but it is working much better than before. So far didn't experience stuttering. Instead of going down to 600MHz it only goes down to a minimum of ~950MHz. But I thought this will keep the core clock constant at the highest speed.

Will try with it enabled to see if there is a difference.

10. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    6900 XT
    It's hardly surprising they are focusing on power saving given the level of **** they received from the media/Nvidia when 290x was released and everyone and their son proclaimed a win for maxwell based only on power consumption

and before anyone screams fanboi my secondary game system runs with gtx980 SLI simply because of the bifurcation of the PC ecosystem

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Just don't get a dual gpu or you will suffer similar issues with every driver.

12. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    How can I check if Vulcan is supproted on this drivers?
    normally I can check the DX version in systems dxdiag
    and Mantle version in AMD Settings, but where I can check the Vulcan version?

13. streetwolf

streetwolf Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    tl;tr

I notice it still says Mantle and not Vulkan under the Software tab. Is this the case for others?

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    start -> vulkaninfo

Keep in mind that is still in an early state stage.

15. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Well, this driver sure is an odd one.

1. The option to choose a CF profile from a different game is gone. Does not exist anymore for me, tried it both on W8.1 and W10. It's been replaced by something new, called "AFR compatible." Good news first, the only game I played without a CF profile was Vermintide, and Vermintide runs much, MUCH better with the new option than the old profile that I used (the Witcher 3 profile). I used to drop in the 40s or even high 30s with low GPU load, the new option gets me 55-60FPS in those areas. Awesome. :) Still, why, WHY remove options? Why the f*ck couldn't they keep both profiles and the new AFR compatible? It works well for Vermintide, but maybe it won't for other games. Sometimes picking a profile from a game with the same engine can be almost flawless, WHY REMOVE THAT OPTION?
    [​IMG]

2. Something's broken-ish with FreeSync, at least in the way I used it. I had RTSS set to lock games to 59FPS and FRTC to 60FPS. This produced buttery smooth gameplay and absolutely no tearing, using FRTC alone was not very smooth. Now these settings produce a constant line of tearing near the bottom of the screen. This used to happen on older drivers I'll have to tweak around to see if I can fix it, but I sure as hell would've preferred to have the old option that was working perfectly up until now. :bang::bang::bang:

Also, Dragon's Dogma sucks in CF now. It wasn't perfect before, but now it feels very stuttery, both with Default, AFR friendly and AFR compatible. I'm not sure changing the setting makes any difference at all and while the FPS is similar to what it was with 16.2/16.2.1 the frame time variance is f*cked. I think it may be related to FreeSync weirdness since the actual FPS seems to be unchanged.

3. Game scanning is (even more) broken, but this isn't a big deal. I can browse to an .exe, that's just fine as far as I'm concerned.

4. There is no power saving option for me on 290X CF. I didn't really need it lately, playing at 4K seems to be sufficient 'motivation' for the driver to not mess with my clocks too much, but why the hell isn't it there anyway. R9 390s are totally different from R9 290s, totally for realsies, can't have the same options for both.:bang::bang::bang:

This driver is the tried and true AMD Way, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. :banana:

16. iTile

iTile Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 4GB OC Gaming
  17. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    AFR-Compatible is there for some time, but now the "choose a different pre defined" option is indeed gone.
    If you install CCC from 15.11.1 on top of this, you get the games list to choose from another CF-profile under this AFR-Compatible header and not under the choose another predefined CF-profile header, at least it was like this in 16.2.1.

I need it badly for Skyrim, Fallout3/NV enb, otherwise I get wrong working DOF and adaptation.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    In 16.3 I can choose AFR- compatible, AFR-Friendly, 1x1 Optimize what ever that is. Then default, off and amd defined (I am translating here so it might be wrong).

19. Indy

Indy Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 AMP!
    Great... I cannot install this driver, because my APU is not supported. The installer recommends to remove it(and links to a non-existent KB article)...
    I bought this Laptop with 12GB RAM to use it for some time, not to be obsolete in less then two years. No DX12, no Crossfire since Crimson anymore and now no new working drivers at all!? Really great...

Please AMD, find a workaround for the iGPU so that I can at least use the dGPU with up-to-date drivers!

20. Aaron123

Aaron123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070
    Can't wait till i get home tonight and try these. Hopefully these will help get the GPU usage close to 100 constantly during gaming.