Far Cry Primal Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Oct 2, 2015.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Strange I am around 20% through the game and have yet to see my fps drop below 80fps with eveything maxed out @ 1080p

Gameworks was 100% the culprit in FC4 for the low performance, Primal has zero gameworks features and performs like a dream to be honest.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yup me too, 100% CPU2 usage here as well.

Strange the game barely even touches any other CPU cores/threads.

GPU is 99% usage all the time and the game has yet to drop below 80fps. If they can get the CPU usage sorted out and spread the load across a few threads/cores the games performance can only get better.

3. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I'm of the unpopular opinion that I'll take the initial 3 months of crappy performance of it means full on implementation of working Gameworks features eventually.

4. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    So how does this game compare to FC3 and FC4?
    Less enjoyable?
    Something different?

5. Adexus

Adexus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLi
    For me it's a lot more enjoyable than FC4 and something very different, it doesn't feel like anything else I've played really, going to finish it first before I stack it up against 3 but it's definitely has a strong running in being my favourite Far Cry for sure.

Also it's so satisfying getting headshots with the bow, not to mention throwing spears at people, so glorious!

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    No.

Much like AC:Syndicate, it seems Ubisoft has learned from previous releases. FC Primal is a much better, more solid and optimized PC release the FC4 was.
    At maxed settings, running around at 1080p, I'm maintaining a solid 60 fps. With vsync off it averages around 75 to 80, going by STEAM's FPS counter.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's the same basic gameplay as FC3 and 4 but it still manages to feel a bit different, thanks to the lack of spoken English and the prehistoric setting.

The emphasis here is on hunting and collecting and in that respect it feels like a simplified survival sandbox game like ARK (only this runs far better even with the optimisation issues and it arguably looks better too! ;) ). There is combat but it feels very basic and unsatisfying IMO with human enemies that have the same level of intelligence as the animals. In fact, in some cases the animal A.I. is better because at least they know when to run away!!!

It's a good game. Derivative and perhaps a bit cheekily overpriced for what really feels like an expansion but I really like it. The world feels far more dangerous without guns and the setting is a very attractive one to explore even if ultimately it lacks variety.

If I was giving it a rating then I'd give it an 8 (out of 10).

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    SLI works well, I'm pinning 60FPS at all times (3440 x 1440).

Believe me, if it wasn't, I'd be complaining.

This game is a breath of fresh air, it runs well, looks great and is extremely satisfying to play.

Well done Ubisoft, credit where credit is due.

9. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I really enjoy this game. Enough for me to differentiate between Far Cry 3/4. It is a shame they dialed back some of the extra graphics options FC4 had.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I think it's much better then FC3 and 4 imo.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    In most ways, I actually think it's a better looking game then FC4.
    It just got rid of the pointless bloat that Gameworks added to 4. The fur, looked awful and was a performance hog.

The Nvidia fog, shadows and tree relief were... just... meh.
    It's all opinion, I know, and completely subjective. But, personally, Primal looks better then 4 in a lot of ways.
    And I'm glad they didn't have the Gameworks options. As Ubisoft, hasn't ever really figured out how to put them in games without causing issues.

12. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Far Cry 4 was one of the only games ive found to have HairWorks perform well. HBAO is a great method, im not really super picky about PCSS though.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, I just think the fur on the animals looks better when it's just set to "On" instead of the Hairworks setting.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Exactly. But then again it was exactly the same thing in FC4 and it never got patched.

I'll try single GPU tonight but scaling seems great as both GPUs work at 99% all the time.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Got bit in the arse by one of those dog creatures before I managed to throw the spear unfortunately, karma? :p
    (That thing rushing into the village alerted every single neanderthal, would have been a great ambush otherwise.)

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Is this what i think this is ?

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I dont think anything recent can beat farcry 3 its hands down one of the best in recent years so i dont agree that this is better.no way

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    This game got bad SLI scaling on 1920x1080 while on 1440p or 4k it scales great very weird.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    2560x1440.

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016