Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G SLI
    UPDATE: I kept finding several firefox.exe processes running even after I closed Firefox. I uninstalled it and used a FF 42 installer that worked without giving me the latest version and so far all is good.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Been getting stupid amount of memory usage with FF lately, like 1.8GB after just a couple hours making the browser lag like mad

Just found this - early days yet, I've only had it set for about 20 mins, but it seems to be keeping the RAM usage much lower 400MB~

about:config

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries

Set to between 0 and 5

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries determines the maximum number of pages in the browser’s session history, i.e. the maximum number of URLs you can traverse purely through the Back/Forward buttons. The Default value is 50. We usually won’t surf more than 5 of the websites we previously surfed before, and there is really no need to store more than that in the session which can clog up memory as they grow.http://www.newpathconsulting.com/20...solved-set-browsersessionhistorymax-to-0.html

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice find, thanks!

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't set it to 0

1 >

Or things stop working, just worked out that's why my refresh button suddenly stopped doing anything lol

Set it to 1 and it works again

5. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    I don't have problems with excess memory usage in Firefox but thanks for posting this in case I ever need to use it. It really was a nice find. I think my problem with several firefox.exe instances running in my Task Manager is because I get impatient. I always want everything up to date so whenever I see a new version of FF listed at MajorGeeks I would press my Alt key and have FF check for updates. If it didn't show up I would download from MajorGeeks and update using that installer. I think rather than update FF for me it was installing the new version instead of installing over the old version. I eventually had at least three versions of FF launching from the same quick launch icon. I first noticed this after I closed FF and ran CCleaner. CCleaner informed me that FF was taking a long time to close and asked if I wanted to 'force shutdown'. That's when I opened my Task Manager and saw three firefox.exe Processes running. I just uninstalled Firefox and it removed all versions but by some miracle left my bookmarks and add-ons intact. I am still on FF 42 and I'm afraid to update again hoping to avoid the same issue. Patience is a virtue that I seem to be lacking at times.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    I remember a time when there would be a firefox.exe entry for every tab I had open but since reverting to FF 42 I only have one instance running no matter how many tabs are open. I haven't had any crashes at all since rolling back. I like this version and I think I will keep it if it keeps multiple instances of FF from running at the same time. The problem was after I closed the browser I still had firefox.exe running.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just had v44.0.1 through.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm finding Firefox is running sluggish lately. Not sure what it is. Multi-process is enabled.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im running cyberfox for 2 months now and the speed is just awesome.
    I say awesome and at the same moment i realise it just runs the way it should run.
    I still have 32bit firefox (due to some field i cant click in 64 bit lol) , but no way im ever going back.
    I even switched to another theme instead of Noia (which ive been running for over 15 years!! OMG lol )

11. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    test this
    http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/proj....0.1-enUS-vc2013-x64-sse2-betterpgo-160208.7z

[​IMG]

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ Just got it through :)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sticking with 43.0.3 for now, until the dev fixes the youtube center addon

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My plugin_container.exe doesn't load anymore. Have they made any recent changes? I've tried both v45 & 46. I made a new profile, opened youtube and it loads but after installing my addons it doesn't anymore, even after starting it with all addons disabled.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I've started to hate Firefox. The UI is quite nice but it's just so slow and laggy compared to Edge... If Edge had better right click options I'd dump Firefox instantly

17. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    I'm staying with 42.0 for now. No crashes or stopped responding issues since rolling back.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    FF has been slow and laggy for few years now, switching to cyberfox 64bit sorta helped with this but most issue is with base verison at this point, it is not what it was speed wise for years

19. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
  20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried switching to Chrome at the weekend, I lasted half a day before coming back to FF

Looked hopeful at first, but after loading up the same extensions as I use for Addons in FF, things started going downhill, nowhere near as good

And it seems to render the text of sites weirdly too, like as if it squashes the text vertically slightly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.