CS:GO stuttering 16.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by deefop, Feb 26, 2016.

1. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    For some reason every time I try to update to a driver past 15.7.1(which is from July last year) I get all kinds of weird issues. Some of them are common but the one that I don't see anyone else really having is this weird stuttering in CS:GO.

I just went to 16.2 and every 3-4 seconds the game will just stutter for like 100 m/s or something like that.

Windows 10
    FX 8320 @ 4.4
    8GB 1600mhz
    dual 7870's

Have ****ed around with all the AMD settings I can think of, and have tried reinstalling CS even though I didn't expect that to work. CF disabled and enabled, although obviously you don't normally run CS:GO with 2 GPU's.

Can't figure this **** out for the life of me. Bright note: It does look like they fixed CF application profiles not working correctly with this release.

2. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Runs very good here with a 290 have you tried when all fails DDU?

3. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    Yes, basically the process each time is that I move to a newer drive, discover some really annoying flaw with it(with other releases it's been the CF application profiles not working correctly) and then end up uninstalling, wiping with DDU, and then going back to 15.7.1.

I've done that like 10 times at this point and I'm just sick of doing it, plus I can't imagine that the most modern games are running all that well on the first driver that AMD released for Windows 10.

4. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Not had any issue here tbh

5. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Also getting stuttering. I managed to fix the stuttering by changing a few settings (and getting rid of the horrible FXAA) but it resulted in the game crashing often. Haven't tried on 16.2 yet.
    Gave up in the end but no biggie, I hardly play the game. Funny though we have the same CPU XD

The last big CSGO update reset all my settings btw and I'm 99.9% sure this stuttering only happened after the update, not driver updates.
    EDIT: This update: blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2016/02/13629/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    No problem here, 16.2 / r9 380.

7. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Not a problem here on a HD 7850, yesterday i had played 5 competitive matches, it was all okay.

8. Weekend

Weekend Guest

GPU:
    1660 S
    is your mobo bios is updated? I did had some problems and updated my 990fxa gd65 to the latest bios and it works flawless. (comparing from before)
    and please if you consider updating, please do be careful.

9. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    I actually haven't tried updating my bios in a while, I guess I'll try that tonight and see if it makes a difference. Would be a little surprised if it did but anything is possible.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Haven't had any issues with CS GO with Windows 10 or any of the AMD Drivers; I update as soon as they're released.

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been playing it at least 2 hours a day and apart from when they first released Operation Wildfire, there have been no issues. Including with the latest 16.2 Driver.

Note: The issue when Wildfire was released was the "force close" or "exit straight to desktop" problem which was happening every minute or so in the game, they patched it up within hours.

11. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    Yea I'm sure it's not because of cs go patches, because it runs fine on older drivers. But I'm still at a loss for what could be causing it

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You are on windows 10. Make sure, you have no intrusive monitoring programs running. Especially not multiple of them.
    I had to part my way with HWiNFO as it did cause very similar problems.
    I even have game where fps goes to 1/2 of normal if I have Afterburner OSD on. Not such problem with same game under older windows.

Windows 10 is still very sensitive and you never know what will be in next update.

13. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    The only program I'm actively using is MSI afterburner. I can try running the game with it off, but wouldn't it seem odd for it to be impacting performance on 16.2 and not on 15.7.1?

That's what's confusing me about this, everything else stays the same but the newest drivers just give me tons of trouble.

Still I'm going to try everything suggested in this thread, I just want it fixed and I appreciate all the ideas!

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did install it and test it. From graphical performance, 16.2 in very similar to 16.1.1 (16.1 gave minor upgrade over 15.x drivers).
    But 16.2 has likely too many changes under hood and that brings too many moving variables in play.

Unless there is specific problem with 15.7.1, return to it. Or you can try to install 16.1.1 and over it install Vulkan release driver (without DDU).
    That works well for many.

15. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    I had precisely the same issue in 16.1.1, and I believe for at least one driver before that too.

What's the Vulkan Release driver? I haven't seen that.

Also the main reason I kept rolling back even from 15.11.1 and 15.12 was because CF application profiles weren't working and it's super annoying disabling/enabling CF for every different game that I play.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Played today with Cat 16.2 on a GCN GPU, did not notice any additional stuttering, but alt-tab bug introduced with the operation is still there.

17. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I had stuttering in CS:GO due to the game being added as a game profile in Crimson. It could have been and most probably was frame rate control not playing nice with Source games. FRC doesn't work with Insurgency for me for example. I haven't tried 16.2 though.

18. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    Well I do have frame rate control disabled, since I play with a 120hz monitor and leave the fps_max at 300 anyway. Is there a way to completely remove the game as a profile from the crimson drivers? I mean the issue then would be that I presume it would try to load with both GPU's in CF every time and that's a recipe for disaster too.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    -high -threads 4 -novid

put that inside launch options for CSGO ;)

20. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    You can remove it from the Gaming tab. But unless you did a scan or added it manually, it won't be there.