ClockBlocker (profiled AMD power-management control)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by A2Razor, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Siman

Siman Guest

GPU:
    x2 R9 295X2
    Yeah but if you look at the 2nd post its a picture of the clocks in Afterburner. The slaves don't respond to clock locker. Its also backed up by bench marks it only goes up a thousand or so points in future mark the 295x2s should be decimating it at well over 30k.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Aware that it's not having the intended effect sadly. Mainly pointing out that the compute method is generating the load on each device (so there's unlikely more that I can do with that approach). The best bet is going to be if I can improve the ADL method.

3. Polico

Polico Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X Asus STRIX
    Hi there, thanks for the application.
    My issue is with a R9 390 asus Strix, ingame I have heavy clock oscillations and fan oscillations aswell, resulting in a game that every 5 seconds goes superslowly for 1 second, and the oscillation keep going that way.
    I tried clockblocker with "The Division" game, and the first 15 minutes it went soooo good, no oscillations at all, smooth game. But after that it started again, temperature was too high, 90-95º too (but fan was at 90% aprox) and the clock and fan oscillations started again.
    I tried with GTAV and i have drops from the start.
    I tried with NFS most wanted and the drops started 5 minutes after.
    I'm so lost, i dont know if my graphic card is ok or is drivers matter, any idea?

4. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    In the 90+C range is at the point that thermal throttling would start happening.

Since your fan speed is at 90% (presumably most of the time), it's very possible that your card's cooler isn't properly attached (may need a new TIM application or to be re-seated). ASUS' aftermarket (non ducted blower) cooler should be keeping the card alot cooler than that, provided that it's making good contact. Other possibility is that your chassis doesn't have sufficient ventilation as the heat is being exhausted in to the case rather than out the back.

--Personally would first focus on getting your temperatures under control. You can check CPU temperature, motherboard temps, and any other readings that you can inside of the case. If the case feels hot anywhere though, like at the side panel, then probably heat getting trapped is part of the issue.

Perhaps someone else with such a card can chime in with their temps and fanspeeds to give you some idea for reference of what you should be targeting.

5. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    If you're overclocking your card and your board's TDP isn't adequate, regardless of Clockblocker, your clock will fluctuate.

6. Polico

Polico Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X Asus STRIX
    I managed for install another fan for extract more heat, and now temps are better, it seems that was the issue as you pointed. The problem is it can still spike at 85°C and fan goes only to 80%, and in my opinion is for have the 100% fan at that spike, so i will try with a manual curve

7. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    I have a problem. Not sure if it's just me being dumb, afterburner, or clockblocker but maybe you guys can help.

I slightly overclocked my 380 to 1005Mhz and everything was working great. No downclocking whatsoever. I decided to go a little more aggressive and ended up at a stable 1140Mhz with +40mv. Tested it with heaven several times and it was clocking up correctly according to heaven and afterburner.

However when I play games (rainbow six siege and the division are what I tested on), it doesn't ever get to full speed. It sits at 1020 most of the time and occasionally goes up a little, but never hits 1140.

Using ADB method but I have tried all of them and it is the same. Thoughts?

8. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    I would say Power Limit.
    But it's also kinda weird with the overclocking on this card, it says one number but it depends on what overclocking tool you use.

Trixx i think does it correctly and MSI Afterburner If you set Unofficial Overclocking.

9. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    Power limit set to +20. I may try trixx. Afterburner is being weird.

I tried unofficial mode and it would black screen at 1140 as soon as I enabled it but at 1005 it was fine. I turned off reset display on apply of unofficial overclock, no black screen. As soon as I apply the 1140 overclock, all readings from my card go to 0 and I can't get it to come back until I restart the computer.

10. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    Just tried trixx. Same deal. Only ramps up to 1020 with clockblocker on.

I wouldn't care so much if my games played ok. What's the point of an overclock if it's not even using all I've given it and still stuttering?

Edit: Ran heaven again and noticed that it starts out at 1020 and then ramps up to 1140 after a second. It must just use it as needed.

Also ran R6:Siege without vsync and it ramped up to full speed. I get close to 100fps on the benchmark but I enable vsync and clocks go down and I get stuttering.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

11. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Have you disabled Overclocking in Catalyst and MSI Afterburner when doing that?
    And remember to set Power Limit to 20%.

12. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    Yeah I never even unlocked overdrive and I reset and disabled afterburner.

And I always have it set to +20.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  13. Santiago P

Santiago P Guest

GPU:
    R7 260X 1200 MHZ 1800MHZ
    Hi,
    I have a problem. When i try to open the program i get this error
    [​IMG]

Got the same error in my previous windows installation. I made a clean install and have the same problem:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  14. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Try the 50% power limit hack, apparently the throttle starts early on this card.

15. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    Well like I said, It goes up to full speed in heaven and in Siege with vsync off. I don't think it's a power limit problem as it throttles up when needed and doesn't crash or artifact so I'm thinking it's not a power problem. Could be wrong though.

I tried to look up how to increase to +50% and only thing I have found is a really old guide that doesn't work anymore. Someone commented that enabling extend overclock limits does it on his rig but does not work on mine. I'll give it a try if you can point me in the right direction on how to up it to +50%

16. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Oh missed that.
    Still might be worth trying the hack though, the limit is kinda messed up.

Well, i think i did it by either bios mod or adding something to the msi afterburner shortcut, which i think was basically doing the extended thingy you talked about.
    Then start Afteburner, restart PC, start it again.

17. Sparty137

Sparty137 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4G
    Yeah I wouldn't mind trying it. I added /xcl to the short cut for afterburner and it popped up that my limits were increased. Restarted and I could go farther with my core and memory clock but not the power limit.

I'm a little wary of screwing with the bios. I just don't want to irreparably damage my computer.

18. Santiago P

Santiago P Guest

GPU:
    R7 260X 1200 MHZ 1800MHZ
    Please dev, help me

19. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Thanks for the tool. Payday 2 was frame dropping like crazy. Tried this tool and the FPS is constant now. Made the game actually playable.

20. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Image looks like a Windows 10 install. Possible that you can give me a bit more on your OS and machine?

Most of the access errors reading at a null pointer were back when I swapped to a different approach for loading OpenCL ... but this looks like something totally different that you've run in to.

--Since I see "AMD No Powermanagement" in that window header, I assume that this is the main program that's crashing (not the helper modules). I'll have to give it a bit of thought what could cause such a crash, as ADL, CL, and DirectCompute are completely separated.

EDIT: I never did embed bugtrap.. If I can't think of the cause, I'll probably need to, or to do a remote debug session. The crash has to be happening with the program's GUI as process scanning is delayed several seconds on startup.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016