R9 290X TRIX (NOT VAPOR X) 8GB overheating in CF

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SPARTAN118, Feb 11, 2016.

1. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    I have a H440 with all the side panels off as well as 70CFM Cougar vortex fans which provide DIRECT airflow on the GPUs, and the top GPU STILL hits 83C.

My temps are as follows
    Both cards @ 100% utililzation Crossfire ENABLED:
    Top=83C
    Bottom= 68C
    Both Cards in the System CF DISABLED, First GPU at 100% utililzation, Second GPU at 0% utililzation:
    Top= 68C-71C
    Bottom= 38C

2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    83C is not overheating though.

The top card will naturally be hotter, regardless. Have you tried a custom fan profile to help reduce temps?
    A repaste could also contribute to lower temperatures.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The max temp of the 290x is 94 degrees so you're actually still in the safe range.

4. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    That is where reference cards usually help, because the blow the hot air out of the back, and help keep the top card within the norm. But who are we kidding here, reference r9 290/x were hot on single solution, let alone xfire setups. In your case 83 is good. I myself have set a quiet fanprofile on my single r9 290, and it goes as far as 87 at times. Witcher 3 stresses the card beyond any other games, due to tessellation. So 83 for top card on multigpu is the norm, and even better than the norm for the hawaii gpus.

5. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    This is was on a cold Ohio day, I'm worried about the summer

6. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Its winter Right now, what happens during the summer?

7. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    They get even hotter:) Point a fan at it (increase air flow)....turn the card fans speed up is all you can really do. You can experiment with lower gpu voltages but that could cause instability. The 290x is the hottest/ power hog single gpu card amd ever created....But the coolers on those particular cards are some of the best as well.

8. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Are there any better cases for Crossfire?

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I would take Nzxt phantom 820 or Corsair Obisidan 900D case for maximum cooling :D

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    What are the temps of a single card running?

11. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    What are you using to control the fans? Without MSI afterburner my card can hit around 75 but with Afterburner it hits about 60.

12. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    With one card only in the system it won't pass 64C

13. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    I use afterburner as well

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Your temps do not sound bad considering what some people report. I think your looking at water cooling if you really need lower temps. It probably wouldnt hurt to re-do the thermal paste and or pads...as those coolers for your cards are pretty top notch. So thats what i would do next is check on that

15. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    you're in safe range, but the question is, is the fan running on 100% or not.
    try setting it 100% manually before starting a game and see if temps are lower on full load then.

16. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i face the same problem but my temperatures are even more aggressive.. some time it goes to 95 if im running the games on eyefinity..

17. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    I'll probably just save for blocks then... Considering taking the cooler off is going to void the warranty, I might as well just go all in....

18. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Dang. I just use a 1080p 144Hz monitor

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would get a Raven RV03. Vertical alignment and two 180mm fans blowing air up, directly to the GPUs. The only "problem" it has is that it doesn't support 240mm radiators officially, you have to do tricks in the front of the case for them to work, like I did. But for GPU cooling there is nothing coming close.
    The system below is not mine. I have a Corsair H105 "modded" on the "front" of mine, and it works perfectly.

[​IMG]

20. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also have 290X CF with heat issues on the top card in a NZXT Switch 810. Haven't found much that could help.

About the RV-03, I had these cards in one of those. The vertical alignment does not help, the "top" (rightmost in that case) card still gets very got. The Switch 810 is actually slightly better, but I still keep the side panel off. In the RV-03 I even tried a 3000RPM 140mm fan either pulling air out or pushing in and the difference was minute with the thing at full blast, a few degrees at best for an incredible amount of noise.

The main problem I believe is getting cool air to the "top" card, because no matter the alignment, it's going to be pulling air from the direction of the "bottom" card and that air is going to be hot. That diagram isn't how it works with Tri-X cards since they don't pull air in from the back, they pull air from below the card. Also, the fins on the heatsink are arranged across the width of the card, not the length, so you can't even push air through it from the back at all.

I'm kind of stumped as to keeping the top card cool. I guess the answer would be to have more room between cards, like a good 3-4 slots worth of space, but that isn't possible on my motherboard (or on most mobos I guess).