AMD Vulkan 1.0 Spec Announcement

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) is excited about the imminent release of the ratified Vulkan 1.0 Specification by the Khronos™ Group. We started this journey in June of 2014 ...

AMD Vulkan 1.0 Spec Announcement

2. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    The dismantling of DirectX begins...long overdue too

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It will benefit us all.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems Nvidia has a Vulkan API driver as well, good to see both GPU vendors moving to quickly support this. :)
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/vulkan-graphics-api-launches-nvidia-gpus-game-ready

EDIT: And Talos Principle now supports Vulkan with the new beta patch as of today.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/412447331651559970/

EDIT: The current driver for AMD is a development driver with no support for DirectX so I wouldn't install it for this one game, for Nvidia it's a older branch but should be a fully functional display driver other than it possibly missing the most recent code improvements and profiles.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. Marringu

Marringu Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1070 OC
    So there's a future for gaming on a Linux platform with this x-platform API? :nerd:

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Bet m$ is in hurry to milk as much people as possible before there any competition in DX.

8. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I wonder if this will actually make Linux-based OSes a viable option compared to Windows. The world needs this so much. MS has been done crappy OSes for a while now, I would love to have a real option to abandon Windows.

Either way, if we can use this on an older, more functional Windows, that would be great already. Finally would be the freedom that MS denied to us, power users.

9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Going to take the plunge on The Talos Principle this evening. I don't mind being the guinea pig and sharing some results with the built in benchmark.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They probably largely do not care.

DX is nothing compared to what games engines are running, or, are capable of compiling games to.

So you got your game running on UE4, with one click of a button, you can compile it to:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/index.html

It's not about the API any longer, it's about the game engine and what platforms it can deliver to.

Still C++ game code, dewd - and that money goes to M$, one way or another.

And, that's just UE4...plenty of other AAA game engines out there, let alone the graphics engines and middleware...

11. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    I disagree. While MS will still profit as you say, they would profit more if they could "force" all gamers to Windows 10 because of everything requiring DX12. They tried the same thing with Vista with Halo 2. MS wants people on Windows 10s' ecosystem with the Store and trash that comes with it.

12. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 8GB
    Linux based-OS are a viable option for a while. I've been using mostly Ubuntu 14.04 to play my games, and Steam have a great number of games that runs well on Linux. In my library I have, among others, Bioshock Infinite, CS: GO, Rust, ETS2, FM16, Portal 2...

And yes, my GTX750Ti runs pretty fine there, without issues.

13. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Linux's main advantage is that it's not a memory hog like Windows (unless you install KDE and a ****load of extra stuff). Windows 10 takes ~1.5GB in idle whereas GNOME 3 is around ~600 give or take a bit.

So with proper Vulkan drivers/games, it should run the same, if not better than Windows.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Tablets running Windows 8/10 run at about 500/600MB memory used. It's not too bad.

15. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 8GB
    I do not care much about memory, I have 16GB and let's be honest, the memory nowadays is cheap and it was made to be used, so I do not care much about those 1.5GB that Windows use.

I had other motivations to move to Ubuntu (mostly programming), but since I tried to play games there, I'm really happy and probably in the near future the Windows will be gone for good.

16. edilsonj

edilsonj Active Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3060 Ti
    Vulkan, an API to increment Linux is coming and Microsoft want you play games in window mode in Microsoft Store.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    A lot of people said the same thing when Mantle was introduced.

18. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Excited to see how this plays out.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Don't expect faster performance at this point. Drivers and the implementation in their engine aren't mature yet. It will take some time before Vulkan will be faster.