AMD hints at dual-GPU Radeon R9 Fury X2 graphics card (again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    So if they're going to put out a dual chip Fury X card soon, what does that say about the Polaris launch? It seems unlikely they would put out a Fury X2, then launch a brand new card a couple of months later, right? Seems like there would probably be a a decent sized window between them?

3. BColt

BColt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 280x
    The new cards are aimed at power saving it seems, so yeah a card like this would make sense in people want more power

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Frankly I'm more worried about the limited 4GB VRAM. I doubt Vulkan and DX12 will be able to deliver SFR very soon so that the full 8GB VRAM will be used.
    Fury X isn't exactly a card worth CFX-ing because of that alone. And I also don't understand why this card has such a late launch. One would think that that putting 2 GPUs on one PCB isn't that hard of a task. It really shouldn't be.

AMD really seem to be doing stupid stuff lately. No wonder they're struggling with money.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

5. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I kind of wondered if maybe they're forced into doing stupid stuff because they're struggling with money...

:(

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    lol, i think Polaris will be great but there is still time till it comes, in the meantime AMD shouldn't look stupid as they pile up many mistakes upon mistakes... those who wants Fury X2 are very very limited people, same goes for dual maxwell. let 28nm die already.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The thing is, there is a market for people wanting setups like that. It might be small, but it does exist. Clearly at this point it simply isn't resulting in much money, or we'd have seen double-gpu solution cards by now for both teams. Sort of a shame, but even if something was released at this point who would care? New GPU's from both teams are set to launch within a fairly short period of time.

8. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    not much point if AMD can't get crossfire working in games properly. They flog x2 cards, yet their support of crossfire in games is laughable.

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah but the cost seems to outweigh the benefit. It does take money to make Gemini and I doubt there's a large enough market for that.

Not only are there few people sporting SLI or CFX in general, a big part of them just want to add a second card later (myself included, I wanted to do that). Then we have the fact that lately games have been crapping on SLI and CFX support which is a bad sign of things to come. Add to that the fact that 4GB isn't appealing at all.. This sounds like a recipe for disaster really :-s.

10. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    AMD, I love you guys. I love your products. I am sorry but as long as nVidia'a Gameworks is in place, Crossfire is DEAD! The bigger the release, the worse the compatibility! The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Just Cause, and now Fallout 4 just to name a few that took MONTHS for broken CFX profiles to be added!
    When The Witcher 3 FINALLY received CFX, us AMD users had to disable AA or else bad flickering.
    When Fallout 4 recently received (3 months late) it's CFX profile, while working, scales the GPUs to that of a single card!
    Nice Gameworks....... still not going to blame AMD on this.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Yeah I did the same, adding my second 970 about a month later. I've been very happy with SLI because I usually wait for games to get down to half price or less before I buy. That's typically a couple of months later, by which time SLI support is in. If I were buying new games though, I would be really bummed out.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Multi gpu support from Nvidia has been nearly non-existent in the latest games of late.

Im convinced that they're aware that there are people such as myself that will put off upgrading for a very long time due to the benefit of multi gpu. M\G just hurts them in the long run.

Rather a frustrating as 4k support isnt worth the effort if im having to lower settings or go with less than 60fps. Id rather stick with 1440p and Ultra/60fps then waste my time with a stupidly high rez with worse fps and or visuals.

My 580s before one died, lasted me stupidly long. Then again, i dont play the latest games as they dont interest me, so that could simply be a convenient coincidence to their longevity.

13. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    pushing more income money..AMD need it..
    2GPU in a single PCB..no thank's

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The original excuse AMD gave for postponing the release of this card was to make it more concurrent with the VR headset releases. After reading about all the problems people have with multiple video cards, especially the AMD side, maybe there's some truth to it after all. This card might be only intended for specific VR uses. If the support is there and working, it might be jolly good. Dunno why anybody else would buy it.

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Exactly. And you forgot about one of the biggest games of the year - Starwars Battlefront - with one of the biggest PC game engines - Frostbite - which does not work with Crossfire at all - the framerate ends up HALF what it is with a single GPU FFS! What does that tell you about the future of multi-GPU?

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    AMD hints at closure with dual-GPU Radeon R9 Fury X2 graphics card.

Sorry, i had to :p