980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Nah don't worry about benchmarks. I just wanted a general opinion based on your experience with actual games.

I'd wager though that memory overclocks don't have the same impact for the GTX 980 Ti, that it does for the GTX 980 for obvious reasons..

Why does this matter? Because overclocking the memory diminishes the core overclock since you hit the power limit faster..

Did that already, in one of the worst areas in the Witcher 3 and there was apparently no change at all which surprised me..

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, unless you increase the pt which I did, to 130%, did help out.

Playing 4k stuff made my game go to 120% pretty much at all times.

Anyways, what resolution you playing at, 1080p? Because ocing the mem should generally yield some sort of result, which I found to be about 0.5 fps more or less (in w3 @ almost 4k @ lower fps).

If you go to Novigrad and play at 4k or 3620x2036 for example, you'll have between 35-40fps or so, maybe more, maybe less, anyways, check there, you should definitely get something.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK I think I know what the issue is. I forgot that my card has a 200MHz factory overclock on the memory. So the memory is actually running at 7.22ghz stock, rather than 7ghz like I thought.

So probably the core is already satisfied with the bandwidth the VRAM is providing at stock frequency?

I mean, compared to the GTX 980, it's night and day. Overclocking the VRAM on the GTX 980 would provide very tangible benefits that could easily be seen and felt in the frame latency.

But with this card I get nothing..

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Are you playing at 1080p?

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hello guys!

Well, I finally went and bite the bullet... damn I'm weak ;)

Ordered a

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+

so I'm soon a new owner of GTX 980 Ti too. Returning to the green team after a visit to the red one.

The thing is, AMD just has it's issues and the 290X isn't enough for a maxed out experience anymore even at 1080p with the newest games. Not to mention most of them are Gamesworks titles.

Plus I want a driver control panel that actually works.

Thought that I'd switch while the 290X is still worth something. It was a great card no questions asked though, but I think the 980 Ti will future-proof me better.

I expected the 290X to last a bit longer honestly. Though granted, most of the issues are probably driver related, and DX12 should help, but it seems by the time it's finally a standard who knows what has happened, if anything.

6. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Welcome to the club AsiJu and enjoy your new card :)

Nice looking rig you have there Witcher29 :) :) :) , go and get that new monitor now ,sell your soul if you have to , a setup like that is wasted on 1080p :) :) you need 1440p NOW lolololol :)

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    No, at 1440p.. That plus my settings, I'm completely GPU bound..

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Grats man, hope you'll enjoy your card :)

Aren't you thinking about going SLI if you're playing at 1440p?

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Welcome to the club dude. :)

Netherwind, question? :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks y'all!

The 980 Ti has been very tempting for a long time given it's raw performance (and the less troublesome NV driver/control panel).
    The price has put me off but I needn't pay it all at once and actually the EVGA card was one of the more "affordable" ones I could find for around 750 EUR.

Some Asus/Zotac/Gigabyte etc. fancier models cost almost 100 EUR more.

I gathered the EVGA SC+ should be a good card though, twin-slot cooler (should run cool too), backplate, factory oc'ed and should go a bit further still. Not that I'd need to oc it anyway.

11. Grotlo

Grotlo Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 ti G1 Gaming
    980ti Gaming G1

Hey guys

Got me a 980ti Gaming G1 recently. Did some overclocking with no voltage modification.

[​IMG]

My question is if these results are ok for this particular gpu.

Thanks!

12. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Man... I really wanna get one. Got the money, but with Pascal so close I'd probably feel stupid for not waiting. Hopefully I can hold on.:banana:

13. Grotlo

Grotlo Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 ti G1 Gaming
    Kinda feel like having 10000000000000 times faster GPUs is great... What about software development which lags 30 years behind hardware already... When will software be optimized to utilize all that hardware....

14. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Well I just did a quick run and scored around 2650. I doubt the i7 makes any difference, same for the clocks.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you use the same 1440p resolution as he? :nerd:

16. Grotlo

Grotlo Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 ti G1 Gaming
    [​IMG]

These are the settings I used to config Heaven

Are you sure you were running bench at 1440p ultra preset with 8xAA?

These are my 1080 results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just left SLI after 7 straight years, and I ain't going back :p

So far I haven't regretted it either.. Big Pascal by itself should be powerful enough to handle 4k plus eye candy, so I'm sticking with single card for next gen as well..

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Whups... Darn you whiskey! You got me, will do another run in a few hours :D

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    tj if you're getting a 980 ti I recommend you get an xtreme gaming / sjs or amp extreme.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Lowers? Depends on how you look at it. If your GPU outputs 80fps then the monitor will adjust to it and become a 80Hz monitor at that precise moment. But the next second you might have 92fps and the monitor will become a 92Hz one. It will not go over 144Hz to ensure a tear-free experience.

But you do have a point that 60Hz or FPS feels really choppy on my monitor whereas 60fps feels good on my TV. I have my TV set in gaming mode but I cannot know if any image processing software/hardware further smoothens out the picture compared to my old 60fps monitor. It can also be placebo - I'm used to a more fluid motion (100+fps) of the scene on my Acer than my old monitors.

Just interested in the reason :) And do you feel that a single 980Ti can give you what you need? Well that's a good question actually...will Big Pascal handle 4K or not, I'm not so sure of it myself but we'll see. Still 4-5 months off I guess?