DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Pre-ordering gives confidence to publishers/devs that they will be fine before they delivered the final product. Here is my money, I fully trust you - is basically the statement you make when you pre-order anything from anyone.

There is no need to pre-order anything anymore, wait for the official reviews and I do not mean IGN/Gamespot, I will personally wait for WorthABuy one. That little statue is really nothing special, all this collector edition nonsense is just designed to claw more and more cash for an already AAA premium title from unsuspecting fans. This sounds very cynical but unfortunately the industry has forced me to evaluate my purchases in this manner.

Bad game is a bad game, so why bet on it with your cash ? The refund business is do-able I guess but its also a nuisance and a hassle, however I d rather get a game from cdkeys or G2A at half the price when I know full well that its worth the cash, thats my logic.

My bet is the game will be hard-locked at 60fps, have cookie-cutter scenery with extremely bland textures, plastic-spastic feel to the enemies and weapons and ill-timed QTEs and quickkills that will get boring very quickly.
    There will be nowhere near enough enemies and it will not resemble the original in any way with vast Serious-Sam like outdoors. It will feel very claustrophobic and have poor mod support. Yes its cynical, but I feel thats where this game is going and I wish I ll be wrong.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You've just described the majority of AAA games over the last 10 years.

And personally I don't think it should resemble the original at all. It's a reboot which by definition is to throw-out all previous information in a series and start over.

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Yes and I did NOT purchase any of those "AAA" titles you mentioned...

Its a reboot but without the elements that made the original a success it will be lost in a sea of samey reboots that failed to capitalize on a big name and did nothing but tarnish it

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    We'll just have to wait and see. =]

In the mean time, please stop posts like this. This thread is not to bash the game, it is to have a good discussion on it.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    It's super simple on Steam. If the game is crap..which most of us know right away within the first hour anyway, you can request a refund and I've refunded probably around 5 games and it was as easy as checking the weather.

I pre order certain games, the more obvious ones that I know myself to really enjoy. Obviously remakes and do over's is risky but sometimes video's and reviews of released games say how great they are but still might not appeal to you. Witcher 3 was that way for me, everyone saying how uber it was and I got it and thought it looked kinda crappy visually, especially the foliage, didn't think much of the system in general nor did I get drawn into the world, despite I enjoyed Witcher 2, Skyrim..etc...just wasn't for me so I got my refund.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    But, I can also think of a lot of games that... while I wasn't exactly having fun in the first hour. After a while, the game clicked and I ended up absolutely loving them.

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    But you'll know quickly if it's badly made, buggy or not as advertised. Those risks are finally removed. Refunding is easy or at least can be, not sure about Origin or GOG but it can be and was my point. Whether a properly made game was fun for you or not within an hour doesn't mean anything, it's your option to keep trying or not. I could always retry Witcher 3 and give it a few hours when it's $10, if I enjoy it later then cool, if not I'm out very little...especially if I get a few hours of out of it.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    But again, a game being buggy doesn't mean it's bad.
    I would be kicking myself if I had given up on Vampire: Bloodlines just because it was buggy in the first hour.
    Same with Dark Messiah.... and so many others.

I've only refunded one game.
    And that was Ryse. And, that was because it doesn't allow you to remap your controls. Which, made it very uncomfortable for my to try to play. So... meh.

Yes, some people do make up their mind on a game pretty quickly.
    But, personally, I don't feel you can really accurately judge a game in an hour or two. Yes, there are some you will know right off... are just bad. There are those that are impossibly not to know they are bad.

But, there are others... that need more time and attention before you can really tell what they are.

Doom, isn't one of those.
    I think people will be able to get Doom within the first few minutes. And, Bethesda hasn't let me down in some time.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    A buggy game isn't necessarily bad, but i would much prefer to get the refund and then buy again when things were cleaned up.
    I also consider a refund as something that sends a message to publishers, no sale tells them nothing.

Still not sure if im going to get it or not.
    60fps is a non issue for me, but i tend really really enjoy these sort of shooters for a few hours then get bored before the day is out, so this would be a game that i could see me loving but then getting bored not long after the refund period had expired.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've bought buggy games, bad games... great games... and average games.
    And I've been disappointed, and annoyed with some. Letdown by wasted potential, and irritated by lazy work.

But, in the end, I've never felt that I needed or even deserved my money back. As, with any purchase, buying a game has never been a guarantee.
    It's always been a gamble. It's the chance we take for buying a game on day one, or taking the plunge even when a few early reviews/previews try and list some warnings.

And it's worked for and against me. I've been bitten for taking a chance on a game, but I've also been wonderfully rewarded for doing so.

And, if a game is buggy, it's annoying, yes. But... why would I want to refund it and then rebuy it later? There's no promise that it'll get fixed, true... but...
    I don't know, don't feel like I'm explaining myself very well tonight. Words... and thoughts and such.

Vampire: Bloodlines is the best example.

My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift. And I jumped right in. And instantly, I noticed issues. Clipping problems, Animations bugs, performance and UI problems. Issue upon issue.
    But... the thing was, the game underneath was great. And I didn't feel cheated, or wronged. Despite the problems, I was hooked.
    I didn't want to shelve the game until it was patched. I was invested and I played. Encounter a problem, and spent time finding ways to fix it just to get back to the game.
    And Bloodlines is a game that never got the chance to be fixed by it's maker.

Fans have tried, but the half working version of Source behind the game makes it difficult to really fix.
    But it doesn't matter. The game itself is amazing, and it's more then worth the effort required to get around it's problems.

Again, to each his own. :)
    Everyone has their own way, and I won't fault anyone for refunding a game. But, I'm aware that buying any game is a risk.
    But, it's one I gladly take because I love it when it pays off.

11. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I saw the unrated trailer this morning, the gore looks good, hopefully some good dismemberment, but I also saw the same old QTE quick-kills which are good for a few dozen kills before they get ultra boring.

I still cant place this game as the one to watch out for this year, maybe the hype machine hasnt worked hard enough, maybe its the plastic-fantastic graphics. maybe the fact that its simply not next-gen per se as all other DooM titles were meant to show off the pinnacle of game-design and programming (which wasn't the case with D3 and Rage sadly)

From what I saw it appears like its going to be very generic and claustrophobic which doesn't excite me as such. I remember when D3 Alpha came out I have replayed that level a bajillion times and it looked amazing for that time, I just dont see this happening here.

12. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    As a fellow Alpha version tester I can only say that it played really good. Sure the same bull**** texturing methods are used again, again causing textures popup on mid-end and lower-end spec machines. Sure there is a plastic-like look and feel to it at times, as all sci-fi shooters have since 2007-ish. Of course there is not a copy of the old game mechanics, nor any of D³, but a blend to please as many gamers as possible; old-skool (like myself 30+, Quake/Unreal generation) and new-skool (COD/Battlefield generation)

But all of the negatives can be swept under the rug with one simple fact: it plays really well.
    While playing you quickly forget all that and a smile will be upon your face by the time the first deathmatch ends.

And I'm pretty sure the singleplayer will too !

Yesterday I pre-ordered my limited edition and I already know I'm gonna be playing it for quite a while so my investment will be well spent !

13. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Ehm I think you got your facts wrong there. D³ was thé absolute top of the top graphics wise when it was released. For a long time there was a big discussion wether the images ID software was showing (Macworld 2001, E3 2002, QuakeCon, ...) were being rendered real-time or just pre-rendered. The whole world was in awe when the alpha leaked.

Perhaps there was a bit too much time in between announcement/first footage and actual release.. (part due to the leak)

14. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Thats exactly what I said, you have misread my post. D3 Alpha looked fantastic and generated a superb buzz. I downloaded it and played that level to death, it was awesome, this title has none of the above.

15. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    What I just saw from that trailer is blood, cut limbs and more blood. The rest was quite dull, even if they tried to mount the video as if the gameplay was frenetic.

16. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    My thoughts exactly and I am pretty sure that the gameplay will be FAR from frenetic

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    The limbs thing is an obvious gimmick much like the animations in FC3 for cutting up animals to make stuff. Like any animation, you see it enough and the coolness factor wears off. But of course their main goal was to make a Doom game that would be as popular in the long term as the original still is today and they obviously tried to modernize the core basics of the original which I think is fine. I would rather see some fun, satisfying animations than have nothing.

Either way I think it'll be a fun romp the first play through at least and it seems they plan to make modding easy. I think their snap map feature will be fun to play with although the Doom 3 map design looks kind of boring.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Bethesda just announced the "Wolfenstein: The New Order" Doom beta will run Mar 31 – Apr 3.

They also released a new MP trailer...

EDIT:
    System Requirements for the Closed MP Beta

Minimum Spec (720p)

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    Intel Core i5-2400 or better / AMD FX-8320 or better
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) or better / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) or better
    Up to 22GB HDD space
    Steam account
    Broadband internet connection

*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, and mobile GPUs are not supported for the DOOM Beta. Please check back later for minimum or recommended system specs for the final game

Recommended Spec (1080p)

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    Intel Core i7-3770 or better / AMD FX-8350 or better
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) or better / AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) or better
    Up to 22GB HDD space
    Steam account
    Broadband internet connection

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My impressions from the last 2 beta's was that the multiplayer is decent but its nothing special. I don't think it will have any staying power like COD or BF.
    I'm more looking forward to the campaign than anything.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The campaign is my only interest.

I played the previous two closed Alpha tests just to get a feel for the engine, player movement and such.
    But, once I did... I thought... "Oh, it feels like idTech. Good." So, I know how it feels... how movement is.

I now have zero reason to bother with this Closed Beta test. And chances are, I won't.
    With the full release about two months away... I'll just wait. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.