Rise of the Tomb Raider performance, and troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, Jan 27, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Tbh don't see much difference personally with the new patch in performance.

Still cannot set V. High Shadows or Detail Level without a notable drop in framerate in the larger areas.
    Plus the occassional framedrops with High settings are still there as before.

2. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    patch brings improvement but still it's far from good.

3. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    found out that disabling my second 7950 gives me smoother gameplay. I guess it's really time to abandon Crossfire. It is simply not worth it at this point imo. AMD mgpu support has been an utter disaster in the past year.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    At one point i'm having fun and at the other point all the fun gets sucked out of me, because of the ****ty soviet installation and geometry vally performance. Seriously, why are the more and more games coming out in which it is impossible to get a nice an stable 60FPS? Fallout 4, Assassins Creed Syndicate and now this. That stupid CPU bottleneck that you cannot even remove by lowering CPU intensive settings is getting annoying as hell. Bah!

What's going on? Why are more and more games having such huge CPU bottlenecks? Damn

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its hard to say. Better question is : Does the game needs better ipc or more cores? I can probably see game performs better on Skylake CPU's than enything else.

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have no idea, but there are alot of objects on the screen the moment the huge CPU bottleneck kicks in. To me it looks like a draw call problem. There is just alot of geometry data the CPU has to process.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    For me the patch didn't gave any performance increases, still stutters from time to time and fps is still some times all over the place. Guess i will finish this until it get's fixed.
    Really sad that this sh!t happens now every time a game get's released.
    I would have got it on PS4 if not for that exclusive crap.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think this is simply because games are becoming very complex, graphically and otherwise (not to mention unoptimized more often than not).

It's not a magic solution but the sooner DX12 gets adopted the better I think. At least for AMD DX11 is quickly becoming inefficient, it (DX11 driver) just can't handle the needed amount of data effectively.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD need DX12 games...YESTERDAY.

10. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I dont see a CPU bottleneck in this game. GPU load is max out all the time at 1440p

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Most of the game is running fine, but in some locations my GPU usage drops down alot. Everything becomes very choppy and the FPS doesn't get any higher than 35 - 40 FPS. I don't usually mind drops like that, but the stuttering is unbearable.

I know for a fact that it is a CPU bottleneck, because i only get more FPS if i lower the level of detail. If you lower them, the amount of objects decreases. Adjusting any other settings, only results in a lower GPU usage.

CPU benchmarks with a GTX 980Ti (i expect lower results with AMD cards)
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html

It looks like the 6700K better than the 4770K, even if you downclock the 6700K from 4,0 GHZ to 2,5 GHZ.

EDIT: what settings are you using? How many FPS do you get at 1440p?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  12. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I have textures on HIGH, AF 4x rest max out and in Soviet Installation/Geothermal Valley I have between 35-45 fps but mostly is around 40.
    Here a capture from AB
    [​IMG]
    Maybe is a problem with crossfire optimization rather than a CPU bottleneck

13. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    From that chart all i can see is that CPU really counts for sh!t in this game. I mean the difference between Intel and AMD is really small compared with other games.

I also experience the choppy framerates and stuff but my GPU usage never drops bellow 100% (Fury and FuryX stay at 100%).
    I see this as really bad programming instead of CPU bottleneck.
    Also your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  14. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Keep in mind that 100% gpu usage don't tell us the real truth. Your card can still be under utilizied, it's just the measurement that is inaccurate (you don't know how many shaders for example are working). What we do know about gpu usage, is that when you go under 100% , you are SERIOUSLY under utilizied.

You can test yourself in several locations. Lower your cpu speed a bit while maintaining 100% gpu usage, your fps shouldn't move at all if you are gpu bound in that case.

15. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Generally I agree with cpu part. Game seems to be very well optimised from cpu part (you can see it by looking how well AMD performs.

But looking at how skylake I7 dominates minimum framerates, you see that there are some locations where it's cpu heavy. (I don't know the map tested, but reading these posts there really are some maps that have higher cpu loads).

Also keep in mind that AMD needs more bruteforce than nvidia from cpu part to maintain high fps.

16. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The problem is that i can only get 40 FPS in the soviet installation and in the geothermal valley it's sometimes even lower than 40. You are not aiming for 60, that's why you might not see the CPU bottleneck.

I have a freesync monitor so it's no problem if the FPS sometimes goes to 40. However, in the CPU bottlenecked areas the FPS is very unstable. If i look in the direction with allot of objects, the game stutters and the FPS drops instantly. If i turn around again. The FPS goes back up again.

Even at 4K i have a CPU bottleneck at some places. Because i put more stress on my GPU in 4K, the bottleneck isn't always that huge. In the town of the geothermal valley the lowest scaling i get is 70/70 or something. If i set the resolution to 1440p. The scaling drops below 50/50. This means that two r9 290 are basically useless at those CPU bottlenecked spots, if you are using a 1440p resolutin or anything lower than that.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Rex, did you tried overclocking that 4770k to 4.5ghz+ to see if it helps in those CPU bound situations? You are using quite a mild overclock to push your 295X2 card.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I tried and i failed. If i set the clock to 4300Mhz my computer won't even load Windows. 4200Mhz is also not stable enough.

EDIT: I'm not using a 295x2 card by the way. ;)

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I just did a little test with just one card. I lowered the resolution to 720p and i did get 10 FPS more in the 'cpu bottlenecked' areas. There was just a very very small CPU bottleneck of 5% or so. Very neglectable. It seems that CrossFire is simply putting more stress on the CPU somehow. I don't know that it would be that much. Might be a ****ty CrossFire profile.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    just make sure your running @ maxed settings apart from textures, those need to be run @high instead of very high

@1440p works great on r9295x2, we have stuttering issues from soviet installation onwards in tomb raider if we have very high textures. (ram issue 4gb vs 8gb)