DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Doom 3 was pretty much on par with the visuals of the alpha and pre release images and videos. I assume Doom 4 will be too. The MP test looked and played amazing.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    RAGE also measured up to it's pre-release trailers and marketing.
    All of id's games have.

Same with The Evil Within and both Wolfenstein games from Bethesda. There's no reason to believe this game won't deliver.

And, if the Alpha is be used as a guide, it will be locked at 60fps. If that's a game killer for you... then, sorry. But, means nothing to me.
    And, it's Doom. Nothing you can say will stop me from getting it. And, I was only burned once last year... Arkham Knight on PC. And that got patched, and I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

3. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or that it was too dark. :D

They're collector editions. You buy them for the value of being a limited item. Only game I bought collector's edition was Halo 3 just for the Master Chief helmet.

As long as the game plays 60fps optimized, I'm okay with that. I mean at the ultra high resolutions, you most likely won't even get near 90 fps even in game so why worry about not getting 120fps?

Could just be me, but I don't see a difference in 60fps vs 120fps.

One thing I am hoping for, genuine mod tools for Doom. Snapmap looks cool, but what if there are things I want to add to it? Doom 3 is what, 12-13 years old? Mods like Sikkmodd, Wulfen, and the AI mods make the game so much better and look and feel like it's a brand new game! I kind of made my game different using Doom 3 Absolute HD. No HUD, no health regen(there is an option but I hate health regen :X), med kits only do about 50% of original healing value, and more realistic damage with guns and what not. Makes the game amazing and 100x harder. :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Do you even have 120hz+ screen?

5. Martinfield

Martinfield Guest

GPU:
    2x 290x @1075
    Sorry but I'm finding it hard to believe you couldn't tell them apart if you put them next to each other. I'm fine with 60fps in CIV or more static games, but in a (very) fast paced fps shooter a 60 cap would ruin it for me..

6. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yup, but my eyes are pretty awful(Damn near blind without glasses). So I'm probably not the best example...:D

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I can tell the difference between 60/120 and such. But, I still have zero issues with 60fps.
    60 still feels and looks smooth for me.
    And, for a fast paced shooter... as long as it's a solid 60fps, it's perfectly fine.

And, lets not forget the original Doom... a very fast paced game, ran at 32fps.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why does 60fps video (game vids) look smoother than 60fps when you're playing on your pc?

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Some videos have post processing.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Will buy, no questions asked.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I noticed that the Tech 6 engine never got the media attention that they previously got. Does it still use Megatexturing? The wiki wasn't very informative but curious how it stacks up against other modern engines. The earlier tech engines were once considered top shelf and it was often discussed, modded and licensed out.

12. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    probably cos carmacks gone

i had no idea this was up for preorder until just now omg omg omg i like the revenant statue :D

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pretty sure it doesn't, Damien would know. :)

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    From what I've read, it seems idTech6 does NOT use Megatexture.

Back when Carmack was still at id, shortly after RAGE's release... John was looking into what he would aim for with the next idTech engine.
    He researched and toyed with an idea called "MegaGeometry" Basically the same concept as Megatexture, only applied to a levels' actual geometry to try and create more unique and diverse gaming worlds.

But, as far as I know this never got off the ground. And... really has nothing to do with this. :p

But, as for idTech6... id wanted to focus on a more atmospheric game world. More creativity for the artists/coders... and one thing that has been touched on... better lighting.
    MegaTextures used pre-baked light maps. It's why The Evil Within rewrote large portions of the renderer... so they could use dynamic lighting.

But, Doom uses dynamic lighting. Hines even commented in an interview...

So, even with what little info we've been given about the engine... it does seem MegaTexture is not a feature this new version of idTech is using.
    Though, it does seem to still be locked at 60fps.

But, who knows, it may be possible to uncap the frame rate this time without adverse affects to the game.
    Also, there's been zero information on how idTech6 will handle SLI or Crossfire.

15. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Megatexture is good riddance, IMO. A weird relic in gaming.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Will id tech 6 use Vulkan?

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I think it should use both DX12 and Vulkan.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    only games i noticed not smooth enough at 60 fps are CS Go and BF4. cs go need to be at 100 fps. and bf4 is good enough starting from 75 fps and upwards, 75 which is my fpslimit in this game.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Megatexture is a great idea.
    But, the technology to really make it great isn't here yet.

To really make use of it, you'd need GPU's with massive amounts of video memory to allow for the incredibly large, unique world texture and also allow to fine details when up close to walls, items and such.

Like a lot of Carmack's ideas, it's something that was ahead of it's time.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    So, anyone heard about the beta yet for us who pre-ordered Wolfenstein?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.