NF Tools by Nabil Fathi

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by adolfotregosa, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not a bad idea^

2. Good call.

3. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

While this Nabil guy does make some rather outrageous claims, I can say for a certainty Diablo 3 plays much smoother.
    Not sure which reg tweak makes the difference and I don't have the time to go trying each and every one.

Seems he would be more welcomed if he laid off the over the top abilities of these tweaks and just put it out in a reasonable manner.

4. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    So what's all this about? Can someone summarize for me? I'm out of the loop.
    Yea sure the list of claims is impossible, the blog is private and his english is crap. I skimmed the 8 pages but I still have no idea what's going on.

I really just want to know Does it do anything useful? I don't care about who did what, said what, lied, etc. Just "Is it USEFUL in any capacity." That's it. I've got v3.2 here to try out, but I want to know what the conclusion is on this before I screw anything up. Not looking to reinstall/migrate to W10 for at least a few more weeks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    [​IMG]

6. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Hahaha I'll take it. Guess the Jury's still out on this one.

7. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    As I said previously:

Maybe we can start doing this and narrowing it down? For eg I didn't notice a difference on Win 8.1, are those noticing a difference on Win10? A good portion of his tweaks are WDDM 2.0 related, which is Win10 only.

I'm all for (relatively) free performance, but it's pretty clear he's shotgunning a range of registry entries and only some are likely having an impact. Still, which ones and under what OS/games/etc?

8. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

Well, I'm Win 10 64 bit.
    AMD 8350 5ghz
    4k @ 40"
    D3, major improvement
    Nothing else to note, since not much else played ATM.

Notice the improvement was not more fps, just far smoother gameplay. A lot of the micro stutter is gone. I tested this 3 times. I'm enjoying D3 again simply because my eyes enjoy it.

9. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    hey Unwinder why is your app calling home to 2.19.125.112? also as a forum mod you the one that started the trashtalk and instigated the fight, dont hide behind your mod status cause you got told the truth. anddont take this the wrong way but i trust someone not getting paid by nvidia/msi more than someone working for the man :p

evga precision for life

nabi actually released a whole blog explaining the how and why of his tool and released a new tool to enable dsr for sli+gsync users. which also works for my surprise which nvidia has promised for EVER

sweeeet sweeet dsr+sli+gsync

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So the people who now develop Evga Precision aren't working for a big company? I'm not going to comment on the rest of your tripe, it isn't worth the time spent.

Isn't it about time this clown was banned?

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Spread your nonsense and lie somewhere outside this place please. There is no place for aggressive stupidity. Bye.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nothing new there, as expected when people are full of it, just as the G-Sync and other false claims.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Screenshots show nothing, it never worked in-game, so stop spreading lies.

14. Makurth

Makurth Member

GPU:
    GALAX - GTX 970 EXOC
    Thank you very much for the explanation, but a BIG/GIGANT THANKS FOR RivaTuner!!!

15. selkie707

selkie707 Guest

GPU:
    880m
    I know that NF Tools has a bit of controversy around it but i can actually confirm one thing it does with 100% certainty.

For optimus laptops it enables a fourth option in global settings named "Force high-performance Nvidia processor" that is not normally shown.

You may wonder what the difference between that option and the other "High performance 3D processor" is.

As far as i can tell the normal profile does not actually make all applications run on the nvidia GPU. Nvidia baked into their drivers web browsers and media players to use the integrated GPU. Normally you have to app applications on an app by app basis to use the Nvidia GPU. Additionally with many applications even that is not possible as nvidia greys out the option. In these cases you have to use Nvidia Inspector to change the GPU.

Edit:

After further testing the new option seems to only have fixed the problem for certain programs. For example MPC-HC now uses the nvidia GPU while windows media player still does not.

Screenshot of the new option (I cant post links yet, remove the _):

h_ttp://i.imgur.com/goue0Jc.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

16. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    If mpc-hc uses the gpu instead of the cpu it's due to the settings of the codecs mpc-hc uses.

17. selkie707

selkie707 Guest

GPU:
    880m
    That may be the case for media applications but

On optimus systems web browsers default to the integrated gpu, even when the global settings are set to use the nvidia gpu.

An example of what I am talking about:

In the case of some applications the box shown here is not even selectable as well

Here is what firefox looks like when global settins are set to nvidia gpu btw.

h_ttp://i.imgur.com/phk8B2M.png

In this case the box is selectable but defaults to integrated graphics even if the global one is set to nvidia gpu. However the "Force Nvidia GPU" option changes this to nvidia automatically.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Isn't there not a global setting for Optimus to set it to use only the dedicated GPU?

Could you not also simply disable the IGP and use only the dedicated? Or am I missing something.

ALSO: About AB phoning an IP. You do realize that it checks automatically for UPDATES right? It phones a ****ing update server. I've gotten errors tons of times on starting the program where it can't connect to the update server to check too temporarily.

Oh boy!

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, getting this recently too. Not much to worry about.

20. selkie707

selkie707 Guest

GPU:
    880m

The above screenshot is from my computer when set globally to use the nvidia gpu. Many applications just ignore the setting.

Also on many optimus systems the display is connected only to the integrated gpu. For this reason it is actually impossible to disable the integrated gpu. Sucks a lot when running linux too. The nvidia drivers dont have very good optimus support there and VSYNC is broken due to the limitations of XServer.

Its pretty rare nowadays for laptops to have the option to disable the IGP. I think some high end MSI and alienware laptops have it though.

And besides all of the above i believe optimus actually adds a bit of latency to the displayed image as well."Low latency due to display content being copied when Nvidia's GPU is used (0.2 of a frame)"

From what I could find online that translates from 3-15ms of additional display lag depending on current fps.

Edit:

I found this image that shows what i am talking about

w_ww.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Optimus_Usage_03_a649c7ad5e.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.