MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

GPU Power level was available in AB for ages. It was replaced with normalized total power usage monitor per direct request of NVIDIA as it is more correctly reflecting total graphics card power consumption, so single GPU power monitor won't be back.

2. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    nope, not even listed in task scheduler. maybe the install isn't working correctly. I've different downloads and versions. same issue.

3. demoncamber

demoncamber Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti Duke Oc
    Afterburner causing lock ups because ULPS isn't disabled by default on AMD GPU

Ok, so I just had a week of trying to figure out why my Windows 10 system was locking up, no bsod, just a straight freeze. It turns out it was stopped by disabling ULPS in the bios.

I narrowed it down to when Afterburner starts. Even with default clock settings.

Not sure why this just started out of nowhere, but it could have been the latest AMD Driver causing it because that's what was recently updated on my system.

Windows 10 Pro x64
    Asus Strix R9 390 GPU

Here's a screenshot of my settings for you.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  4. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    CTaskSchedulerInterface::AddTask failed with error code -22

I get that when I installed while in safe mode. MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner give the same error when I select run when windows starts. So Task Scheduler for AB isn't running properly. This is an Admin account with full access.

EDIT:
    I logged on with my "Local" account. the original Windows 7 account and MSI Afterburner works fine. Zero issues with AB and RivaTuner.

Now looking into the settings for the Microsoft Account. Maybe its a permission issue not allowing MSI Afterburner to run/install properly.

then when I reboot. it doesn't work. but RTSS and MSI AB are showing up in the Task Scheduler on this this account. (LOCAL non-MS account)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

5. Chromestalker

Chromestalker Guest

GPU:
    Would it be possible to add if gsync is currently active? The nvidia drivers already have this ability but the overlay they create is gigantic and unsightly.

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Not sure Task Scheduler can run in safe mode.

7. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    correct. task scheduler does not run in safe mode.

latest build 11102 and it works on the upgraded 8.1 to windows 10 laptop. but AB still not running on the windows 7 upgraded windows 10 machine.

uninstalled before the update. no change. no task scheduler and when I open AB it doesn't run. RivaTuner does not run

safe mode install and no change. though both do run. I get the task scheduler error messages but that due to task scheduler not running in safe mode.

8. momashi

momashi Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 3GB
    Hello,

I've been using MSI Afterburner for a good 5 years and it's been rocksolid with no problems until AMD introduced the new Radeon Drivers in November. Even since then, I have re-enable automatic fan control in Afterburner after each startup or have my GPU fry during gameplay. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Got any ideas?

9. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    deleted: created own thread

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm getting this error from RTSS for the last week or so:

[​IMG]

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I get that to if I check for update now in RTSS.
    I would set update to never for RTSS, as AB includes it most times.
    MSI AB update now works.

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I always have it set to never or do not check. I've seen this popup twice in the past several days. No biggie, I just click OK.

13. shinji2009

shinji2009 Guest

GPU:
    gt640
    hi again. new issue: ASUS K501LX laptop with GTX950M, ab not showing correct gp temp, always zero. BUT if i start nvidiaInspector ab start to show correct temp. after closing nvidiaInspector temp again =0 why? how to fix?

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    No support for mobile graphics... :book:

15. kloppo

kloppo New Member

Unwinder, any reason why voltage control on an MSI R9 280x would stop working after 4.1.0? Every other setting the same, changing voltage control mode doesn't make a difference either.
    Was going to update a friends computer with crimson and new afterburner, updated afterburner first and voltage control was gone with 4.2.0, same with 4.1.1.. Any chance it might work with crimson? Can't try right now but would welcome suggestions. Didn't have the time either to go through the whole detect you own stuff and add to third party database, but feels weird it would even be needed since it's obviously working on a previous version.

16. nogaff

nogaff Guest

GPU:
    HIS 7950 3GB @ 1050/1500
    I've also been seeing the "Cannot retrieve update information from the server" error from RTSS for quite a while (as per dr_rus' screenshot above).

It seems to be trying to check ftp.sunet.se/pub/games/PC/guru3d/rtss/Update.txt for updates, but the guru3d directory no longer exists so the server is generating a 404 response.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    After latest Nvidia WHQL driver 361.75 which fixed 980Ti idle power usage on X99 platform, I noticed that Power % graph is almost always stuck at 8%. Sometimes power usage graph start working again, I haven't figured out if it's random or not, but most of the time it's stuck at 8%.

18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    I've noticed a problem with clocks vs multiple user sessions. I'm on W10 x64 and latest 16.1.1hotfix. As an example:

I have AB 4.2.0 set to apply on startup +25/1125/1350 on a hd7870, which usually sticks. If I launch AB after starting my admin account, those will be the clocks applied as expected.

But if while running that windows account I log in to another user account (in this particular case, a non admin account), launch some 3D enabled programs such as Chrome and then close the account and return to the admin account, when I open AB clock sliders will be messed to minimum +20/500/600. By launching a 3D test, I can confirm that they are actually applied and will remain after the next boot.

Edit: Did some more tests:

With another admin account the same happens. If I start the computer with everything well set (AB will correctly apply clocks) on my user account, and then log in to another user account (admin or not) while the first is still running, when I go back to my user account and check AB, it's clocks will have sliders set minimum.

But if I log out of my user account before launching any of the other two user accounts, use them, log out, and then log in again to my user accounts, clocks will be correct instead of set to minimum.

It seems like launching other windows sessions while the one where AB was set up is still running messes up 3D clocks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  19. Hübie

Hübie Member

GPU:
    MSI TFG GTX 770 4GB @SLi
    a lot of Pagefaults

I discovered a lot of pagefaults with the new MSI Afterburner. I think you might go and check this.

See picture below.
    [​IMG]

Different Systems show the same behaviour.
    My Rig:
    Intel i7 3930k @4,2
    ASUS P9X79 Pro
    G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 2000 MHz
    ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
    Winwos 10 Prof x64
    MSI Afterburner 4.2.0
    GeForce 361.91

Someone may check this, too for reference.

20. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    "Page fault" happens when a program tries to access a memory page that is not found in physical RAM. It's normal. Page faults are the way the OS is notified of the need to move the data in question into RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.