Skylake build no boot no display ( need help)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dipankar sanyal, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    I found that the rams I had was not mentioned in the QVL of the motherboard.

Is it the ram causing instability. I clearly remember, all the trouble started with pC getting freeze, even restart did not work.

At windows , at benchmark and at bios. It gets freeze ( if it starts) and after that I won't boot no matter what won't even POST ( SINGLE BEEP FROM MOBO).

I HAVEN'T ran any memory test ,

My rams are F42133C15S-4GVR from g skill, can anyone verify the QVL of asus h 170 pro gaming.

When when the pc worked , it detects all rams. STRANGE , if it was meant to be incompatible then why it worked at the first place.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was wondering if you actually checked your boards 4 q-leds. They are next to the 24pin power cable. Anything there? Could help to rule out problems with cpu, ram, gpu, or hdd/ssd.

3. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    Hello, it has been a while.

I'm sure it's mdcomputers.in/products/memory/ddr4-Memory/g-skill-ram-ripjaws-v-4gb-ddr4-2133mhz-f4-2133c15s-4gvr.html?limit=50

It's a single channel which I have bought in pair ( 2*4gb). Strangest thing is its 1.2v and 2133mhz but not mentioned on asus website QVL list for the motherboard AND NOT EVEN ON THE GSKILL WEBSITE!

I have asked for replacement with this dual channel kit www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2133c15d-16gvr

Or

( mdcomputers.in/products/memory/ddr4-Memory/g-skill-ram-ripjaws-v-16gb-ddr4-2133mhz-8x2-kit-f4-2133c15d-16gvr.html?limit=50 )

This is not listed in the QVL and if u see the QVL of asus h170 pro gaming on their website , it's old and not updated, but gskill have this kit listed in the QVL section.

So was this causing the no post issue?

And also I got the motherboard replaced this time. It's at other city at the store from where I have purchased , I asked them to replace all and test them for a while. I'll call them for the updates today.

4. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380

No sir, I haven't . What's the purpose if those led. I heard if any problems occur they lit up.

5. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380

My first rams were F42133C15S 4GVR. Where S stands for single channel and D for dual.

Mine was ripjaws V not the old 4 series.

This time I got it replaced with f42133C15d 16gvr and replaced motherboard. Only waiting for them to arrive.

6. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    If it powers up but you can't get it to post, it's the motherboard.

I would be careful about how tight you screw it in, stupid question but I assume you have bolts separating your board from the case?

7. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380

I'm sure you mean the motherboard standoffs, and yes sir I do have them aligned with the motherboard holes. But one of them is missing and I do not have extra spare left around.

These are the stand offs on the case and aligned with the motherboard " o " and the one missing is " × ".

o o o

o o o

o o ×

On the × , there are no stand off or screws.

8. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Jesus. Really bad advice in here so far. Corrupted BIOS? LOL, seriously don't quit your day job....

Cooler Master doesn't make quality PSU's. I'd start there.

OK you really need to NOT put ANY bearing on a mobo's QVL. Might as well be called a "Makes n00bs feel okay" list. It means nothing whatsoever but they tested those IC's and the work fine. That's it.

I've NEVER in my life, not even once bought memory off a QVL and never will.

Furthermore, I guarantee without a doubt that the person who did those tests and made the QVL is a complete n00b compared to me anyway. MY tests are the only ones that matter to me, that's the way it should be.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380

Sir, I have tested the CM v650 psu at a friend's place.

He has the msi b85m g43 motherboard and the psu ran fine over a week and could handle the g1 970gtx very well.

The voltages recorded were with hwinfo64 and at bios with his motherboard were::

+12v: 12.144 (min/max)
    +3.3v: 3.328 ( min) and 3.344 (max)
    +5v : 5.040 min and 5.080 max

I also remember that on my asus h170progaming, the +12v was 12.000v so is it good enough? I don't remember the other values but they seems alright as far as I remember. I count boot the mobo so I don't remember the exactly values.

So the CM v650 is all 100% japanese capacitors 80+ gold psu. And I can't go wrong after tests .

The cpu doesn't have pins so no danger of bent pin. The temps were fine so the cpu seems alright.

The rams were base speed of DDR4 2133mhz and 1.2v so the rams were okay if not faulty but I have got them replaced for a dual channel kit gskill f42133c15D 16gvr. The old one was single channel but I bought them in pair to run dual channel.

MY gigabyte 970gtx g1 edition is okay , runs well and tested for a week.

Now this time I got the mobo replaced , those idiots in the first RMA only updated the bios and did nothing else for 2 weeks except some tests the mentioned WDP or something.

Now they will ship the replaced motherboard and the new rams tomorrow and I'll get them in 5 days max.

10. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    aha, this ^^

11. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    The psu is fine. Plus the one I have has to be good compared to other CM PSUs

12. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    I'll get my replaced rams and mother board soon, will update back.

13. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    This time I'll check for mobo bent pin and run memtest for the rams.

Work in a static free environment and make sure nothing is shorting the motherboard.

Can you suggest any other important tips?

14. Dipankar sanyal

Dipankar sanyal Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970gtx 1380
    Here I am after a week with the solution.

I got the replaced motherboard and gskill ripjaws v 2133 cl15 2x8gb kit.

System is working just fine , been over 6 months since I played and pc games , it's been a week and it's running good.

Benchmark results are good aswell.

Thus solution : Motherboard replaced (before I received a defective one with bad ram slots ).

Thanks everyone.