Need guru advice - pc shuts down after 5 minutes

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Teisco, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    I turn the pc on in the morning for my graphic work and after 5 min it shuts down,,no blue screen, no messages, just instant off and black screen. I can then turn it back on and it is fine for the rest of the day with no more shut downs.

I have had some memory problems and had to remove a pair of ddr4 sticks leaving two sticks of 4 gig each left to run win 10. I have some new ram coming to get back to my 16 gig normal but for now 8 is it. I don't think that is causing my new problem though.

A mystery for sure.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Any errors other than unexpected shut down in Event Viewer?When you say it runs for the rest of the day doing what?Gaming,web browsing?Have you run any stress tests to see if you can replicate it?

3. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thanks, when it shuts down there is no blue screen and no error messages. I can run all day with games or graphic work after the second restart without any problems. I can also shut it off and restart it during the day without any problems. This only happens on the first startup in the morning after being off all night.

4. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    I've experienced the same problem on a older system of mine about 6 or 7 years back - turned out to be my PSU - everyday I'd come home from work, fire it up and it would just turn off after a couple of minutes, then when I turned it back on again it was fine for the rest of the day. After a couple of weeks it shut down on a cold start-up, as per usual, but this time around it wouldn't turn on again, so fearing the worst I stripped the PC apart and noticed an electrical smell from the PSU... Fault found!

FYI I stripped the PSU apart later and found that the internal fan had seized. Was an expensive one (OCZ I think) and only just out of warranty so I wasn't best pleased at the time.

Anyway, being impatient I drove to my local PC store and bought the best one they had in stock - which turned out to be some generic 750w Chinese made jobby with a green fan! So with no other option I took it home and once installed my system booted first time, every time!

Anyway, several upgrades later (with the same 750w PSU) I found another cheap 680 so decided to go SLI, shortly after going SLI every time I played a really demanding game such as Crysis 3, my system would just completely shut down in the middle of gameplay - after a couple of weeks of trouble shooting SLI issues I suspected the PSU again, so I went and a bought a proper one (still using it now) and problem solved once again!

Looking at your sig, 3x GPUS and an overclocked CPU will put a strain even on a 1kw PSU over time

So going from my previous experience, if it was me I'd be looking closely at that PSU of yours - if you can't try another PSU or can't be bothered with swapping it out, why not try unplugging a few case fans and other non-essential components (or run 1 GPU) and see if it boots fine from cold then.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    are you overclocking the cards too? sounds more like a weird bios setting causing this though

6. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thanks, cards are at stock speeds, cpu is not currently oc'd so everything at stock when it happens.
    Power supply is something I should check, thanks. I will remove two gpu's and see what happens.

7. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Ok power supply seems ok, fan works, not even warm when gaming. I changed out the power plug just in case cause I heard one guy had a bad power cord.

I still will remove cards to further check out the PSU.

Also want to reset the bios,,MB has a button on back to reset but I have to read up and make sure if I need to have power off or on when I use it.