AMD demos silent WRAITH cooler and some ZEN Info

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    At CES AMD has been showing their new upcoming reference cooler to be bundled with their future products. It is called the Wraith and will be used for their processors and APUs based on Zen architectu...

AMD demos silent WRAITH cooler and some ZEN Info

2. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I dont know why but for some reason im looking forward to this and i want amd to make my 5960X look like crap. I'm biased against what i actually own!

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Supernatural Style cooler... wth, am I missing something!?

I could swear that I already saw this cooler's heatsink body on some of my Phenom II Black Edition CPU's with just a bit thinner fan, everything else looks the same.

Hurry up AMD with those Zen's...

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I'm cheering for AMD too this round cpu/gpu wise. But the bold part in the quote worries me a bit.

Quote: "The 8-core processor would get with 512KB L2 cache per core and 16 MB of L3 cache divided onto two 8MB clusters for 2x 4 Core modules."

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    if only they made efficient chips, they wouldnt need such massive coolers.

come amd, get your **** together, you have been behind for some 5 years now.

yeah i am an amd fan, and i just built myself an i7 system. never been happier.

sigh amd, SIGH

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The current stock cooler with FX chips are for lack of a better word.... ****..

AMD needed to make a better cooler.

7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I'm looking forward to Zen, altough my FX8350 still going strong (no complains) I will upgrade just for the sake of it!!!:banana:

GO AMD GO...I'm sold on Zen.

Just a question, I have my Corsair H100i and hope I can install it on AM4 (Looks like the Retention Clips are similar with AM3+). I don' expect the boxed cooler to be a "jaw bracker" from performance point of view.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Oh dear.. They gonna share FPUs again? This really killed the FX-8350's AVX performance.

9. WrathZERO

WrathZERO Guest

GPU:
    290x Accelero Xtreme IV
    Atleast put up the video

youtube.com/watch?v=soc5x_4IACQ

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Any word on pricing (Zen) or is it to early to tell? My guess would be Amd needs to be better on price if Zen does perform the way its intended to, If it were me I would price them 20-30 dollars (cheeper) then a unlocked i5 but this all depends on how well the chip can perform. I have my fingers crossed but i am not expecting a miracle lol.:)

11. YQ4869

YQ4869 Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE R9-280x
    It's incredible that this thing has LED lights. it can only lead to rising costs

12. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Not that way...

They are not sharing FPU again. What that means is that 4 cores makes one unit so 8 core means two such units with separate 8MB caches totaling 16MB. The new Zen core is 8 Core = 8 Core + SMT

13. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    From the looks of things, they are only sharing resources that are typically shared across cores, like the L3 Cache, which is almost always shared by all the cores on any CPU that has them... even on Team Blue CPUs. Every indicator from what we know up to now states that each core in Zen has its own Floating Point Unit, and we're not seeing anything that contradicts that.

What I suspect is actually is, is something packaging-related; A Zen Module is a quad-core design, and each core is SMT capable. So two Zen "Modules" is 8 physical cores, and can enable SMT for 16 treads or "logical cores".

From a design standpoint, this makes a lot of sense and if the L3 Cache is part of the modules but "linkable" to other L3 Caches on the CPU package, you could have as many as four "Modules", which also makes sense considering the needs in the server-space.

Edit: damnit, you beat me to it!

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    thanks man, you indirectly answer my question. The new cooler looks to be almost double in size so looks like no AM4 match for old coolinng devices....:bang:

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This.

So in reality it will be a 16threaded cpu.

16. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I'll probably never abandon my NH-U12S (So I wont use a stock cooler again), but this AMD cooler is really beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  17. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Its good to see them upgrading the cpu cooler, the cooler they sent out with the 5800k was pretty sad and cant even handle it at stock without severe throttling. Intel is even worse sending out the pathetic coolers they do with their expensive unlocked cpus they're better off saving the money and not sending anything with the unlocked versions.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Amen lol, Intel's stock coolers are pathetic. Not really good at cooling stuff and noisy as hell.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Clawedge
    +1
    dont care much for faster cpu performance (intel vs amd), but losing 20-30% on sata/usb etc, not funny...

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think text was written by AMD. They would not write this: