SPDIF bypassing windows volume control after driver reinstall

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by davidsky, Jan 8, 2016.

1. davidsky

davidsky Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Reinstalled my Creative ZxR drivers as i was having the infamous static issue after less than 2 hours of using it. I also seated the card in another slot.

Its daughter board is connected via SPDIF to a Marantz receiver.

What's strange is before my reinstallation, I could swear I was able to control the system volume from windows when in 5.1 Dolby/DTS encoding mode. Now it's 100% full blast in these modes (the only way to digitally output 5.1 sound) whether I have Window's volume muted or at 100%. I've read a few posts saying that SPDIF bypasses windows volume control, but if I output a stereo mix via SPDIF I can adjust volume through windows..is my memory of being able to use Window's volume control when outputting 5.1 audio via SPDIF simply my mind playing tricks on me?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows volume control for SPDIF will be bypassed when bitstreaming.

3. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    I've been using SPDIF 5.1 output over various cards for the last 5 years as my 5.1 receiver only accepts digital inputs only (It's a Marantz too!). I've found that none of them allow windows volume control to work and everything is 100% output.

But I do get working volume controls in programs and apps - i.e. audio players, youtube, games etc. Just no control over the windows master volume slider - It's the nature of the SPDIF beast. Currently using DTS with a Soundblaster Z.

4. davidsky

davidsky Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    It's odd that if with Sound Blaster Z, if you change the SPDIF to play stereo mix (advanced features tab I believe), Windows volume control works despite the fact it's SPDIF.

Anyways, I think that settles it. I must have been adjusting volume in apps which falsely made me think I had full control. Thanks all....

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You can adjust the volume in the Windows mixer for SPDIF if the source isn't being bitstreamed. Like with YouTube, as you said. It's when it's bitstreamed, like with WASAPI for example, you can't.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016