$599/£529/CAD~$900/EUR700 for Oculus Rift.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    You missed a couple. I'll flag them for you.

As i say that - they are gone now. GW!

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    +1 for style point.

This is way too much for me. We're talking electronic hardware here, before the end of 2016 it will be outdated.

They pretend to sell "high-end VR" and yet spare no effort demonstrating it. Maybe they think Google cardboard is their strongest opponent ? lol.

I feel it starts to look like Microsoft poor communication ahead of everyone while introducing Xbox-one with its price and everything. And Sony reacting properly just after with the consequences that we know on next-gen consoles market disparity.

Careful Oculus/Facebook, you wanna pull out a 'Apple-like' client base, spending dollars with passion you're gonna have a big surprise... ! My dollars (and euros in fact <3) won't go to you as it stands !

Xenthorx Out' ! (beam me up !)

3. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    700€? I'll just wait till they land back on planet Reality.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    eh?

It's two billion divided by six hundred, that means you gotta sell over three thousand, three hundred and thirty three million, three hundred and thirty three thousand, three hundred and thirty three Oculus Rift units, to make back the two billion.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    To be fair, they're the only one on the market, they do whatever they want right now. They still can adjust their prices when others got something to say.

VR it still for fans right now, i'll wait it stabilizes a bit before considering anything.

6. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    And that’s all you have to say? Seriously?

An user called GREGIX – a typical ignorant - started it all…
    Then, someone come here and wrote down that other people must die ("they all need to die") - didn’t you read it all? - and then that same ret**ded aka moab600 got away without being banned or something?!

Is there something I should know?

I didn't read any further posts (I got a call), but definitely there's something wrong here… dead wrong…

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  7. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    This price sort of make sense, but it kind of makes me 100% sure that buying it would be a bad idea.

See, if they have the first real product to market then they get to name the price, people WILL buy it (Hello GTX Titan) and the hype around VR is enough that I'd say they could pull it off. But it is also somewhat indicative of price gouging to get the most money out of this product as possible without the external infrastructure to support it, kind of like how smart phones have started trying to get 4K without having the batteries to support them properly.

So really anyone who isn't rich might as well wait a year or so too see if VR actually takes off/ see how the market goes.

8. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    HAHA... no.

9. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I've played with one of the Dev kits a bit and it's really cool - but not $600 cool!

If it was half the price I'd consider it, but that's crazy.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Weren't the devkits like $250?

11. Moegames

Moegames Guest

ok bud
    [​IMG]

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    $350

Final product has a custom developed Samsung AMOLED screen. More sensors, audio, better build quality, comes with a controller and two games.

I don't think there is anything wrong with $600. It needs to be a premium product. It needs to not only be a good experience but it needs to feel premium to sell the VR vision in general. Price is fine. Responding with "OK bud" is just flamebate bull**** because people are incapable of creating a decent argument as to why the price is too high.

This isn't even to mention that there are going to be competing products at various pricepoints.

14. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    This made my day
    [​IMG]

15. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Thanks for the info!

It’s a shame that no one banned them!
    Those kinds of comments are unacceptable on what is supposed to be a civilized forum.
    The penalty should be immediate and permanent ban.

No doubt that we live in Mankind’s finest hour…

Take care

16. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    They should get rid of the xbox controller and games at least as an option. I dont care about those games and I already have a controller so what now?

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just so you know, when I say I am going to do something I deliver on that.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The main cost is the custom OLED displays. In fact in the AMA Palmer is doing right now on reddit, hes saying that they aren't even really making money on the Rift at all and that even if they stripped out all the extras, including audio, it wouldn't significantly impact the cost. The display and the motion sensors are the majority of it.

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Im not a fan of VR (Though, admittedly never tried it myself), but for those that are in AUS and NZ, US$599 is going to translate into +$2000 no doubt since no retailer or what have you seems to use the actual exchange rate on products anymore.

Now take into account the additional cost of a pc that can run VR, you're looking at spending a minimum of of AUS/NZ$5000

The price vs content is what is going to make or break VR.

And this right here tells us the time for VR isnt now. When you're barely making a profit on a $599 piece of tech, its a case of trying to force the world into to something its not ready for at either the consumer level or production costs.

20. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    What?

I'm sure this is a misunderstanding…

I was reading comments on a tech article and then - all of a sudden - I start reading about raping and murdering people!!!!

I repeat - I start reading about RAPING and MURDERING PEOPLE!!!!

I’m pretty sure that anyone with a brain and some ethics agrees that’s unacceptable.

I was going to report those posts, but I got a call. After that, I sit back in front of my computer only to find out that those posts were deleted (well done o.c.), but the ones who wrote them were still active in the forum, hence my perplexity.

What guarantees one can have that those users won’t repeat that kind of “dialogue” in the future? None.

Do you think that type of language can be dealt with infractions, warnings, deleting posts and asking for being clean and civil? I don’t think so… and I’m sure you don’t think so too…

Perm Ban is the only way to deal with it… IMO

I rest my case…

Take care

Logging off…