1. KRaikkonenNo1

KRaikkonenNo1 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    Hi,

Just after some advice on choosing the next lens for my Canon 700D. Currently the max I can spend would be around the £250 mark (currently a student on 3rd year of photography degree). I mostly do landscape and wildlife photography, but occasionally do macro.

Have been looking at a few telephoto lenses;
    CANON EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 STM IS Telephoto Zoom Lens
    SIGMA 18-250 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM OS Telephoto Zoom Lens with Macro
    SIGMA 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C Telephoto Zoom Lens

Any advice is appreciated on what you recommend.

Thanks.

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'd go with any of the Sigma's...

3. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    Also kinda depends on what Lenses you already have...

4. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Another 700D user here! :D

Personally I would get the canon 55-250 STM as that's the better lens when zoomed in, plus it's faster at maximum zoom too at F/5.6. Also the STM model is nice and silent, zooms fast and has good image stabilisation which you'll need at 250mm (I've got the non STM version and am thinking of selling that and upgrading to the STM version as it's just better all around, inc picture quality!)

If you got the 18-55 STM kit lens with your 700D then you can already do 18mm at F/3.5 so unless you can't be bothered to carry 2 or more lenses around with you then I'd go canon, as the only benifit I see with the Sigmas is that you can carry less lenses about - which is important to some people!

If there's budget left over then I'd also look at the 24mm F/2 STM pancake lens as well, I've not got it yet but it's next on my list and should be good with landscapes too!

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    55-250 is way too tight for landscape...not that it can't be done but it won't be landscape in the usual sense

you best to look at like a Canon 10-18mm for landscape and a separate lens for telephoto, but if you can only get one lens i'd get the 18-200/250 alternatives just so you'll have some kind of wide angle (on crop the 18mm is going to have the FOV of ~29mm which is still decently wide for landscape)...the 18-200 contemporary is part of sigma's new global vision line so should offer solid image quality

6. KRaikkonenNo1

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    Thanks for all the replies.

I've only got the one lens atm, the one bundled with the camera which is a 18-55mm. I am leaning more towards getting the Canon 55-250 lens and then as suggested look into a pancake or 10-18 lens.

Thanks, much appreciated!

7. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    For a cheap wide angle solution, why not check out the 'bay for some used old lenses from old film SLR cameras - many of these old lenses can be made to fit your canon 700D with an adaptor and if you're patient with your search you should be able to find a fast wide angle for cheap, but don't forget to factor in the cost of an adaptor as well though!

Yes, you will lose autofocus and other auto features and will have to shoot in full manual but for landscape that's not a huge issue as you've plenty of time to fiddle about, plus I think it adds a little extra fun. Also being forced to shoot in manual helps with the learning!

M42 mount lenses are a good starting place for old lenses as M42 to EF adaptors are cheap and plentiful - other ones to look for are canon FD mounts, but these adaptors cost a little more.

For instance I managed to find a Bell & Howell 28mm F/2.8 with an M42 mount in excellent condition for practically nothing and an M42 mount to canon EF adaptor costs around £8 for a good one.

When using an older non-auto focus lens on my 700D I find shooting in live-view helps as then you can zoom right in on the display to check sharpness before taking the shot.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. KRaikkonenNo1

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    Thanks for the advice.
    I hadn't thought of looking into older lenses with an adaptor but I will definitely look at getting a good adapter and a few older SLR lenses.

9. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I would advise against that until you have all the AF lenses you need (or unless your budget allows for both at the same time).

Manual lenses ARE fun, I'm a big fan. But they are a hassle to use with modern cameras, especially crop sensors due to the smaller, dimmer viewfinder and lack of focusing aids.

The best way to choose a next lens is to see what you find yourself wanting when you're out shooting photos. Do you often feel limited on the wide end of your 18-55? Or do you always want more reach? Then you can look into appropriate options.

I would stay away from 18-2xx lenses, they're usually not as good optically.

The 55-250 is a great cheap lens, especially for wildlife photography, but if you do landscape and macro you might want something else alongside such as a 10-20.

10. KRaikkonenNo1

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    I do find I am looking for more reach with my 18-55 lens when I am photographing wildlife so I think I will need to get a lens with more reach first.
    I think I will then look into getting a 10-20 for my landscape.
    Thanks, much appreciated!